Buying a new 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by juneyah, Oct 28, 2009.

1. juneyah macrumors newbie

Would I be able to still jailbreak it or is that blocked for now? Thanks

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you get a new 3GS made during or after the 37th week of 2009, it could have the new bootrom which prevents untethered jailbreaking.

Check first 5 of serial number

First 2 characters are factory where made, 3rd is year (should be a 9) 4th and 5th characters are week of manufacture

"12937" would be 37th week of 2009.

3. juneyah thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn thanks a lot... so all I gotta do is find a 3gs that ends in 936 or less.... are AT@T stores cool with finding this for u or are they pushing the newest ones on customers?

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Those are the 3rd, 4th and 5th characters, not ends in those characters. There are about 6 or seven more characters in the serial number after those.

I would be real surprised if you found one at an AT&T or Apple store, but who knows

I just got one yesterday from a private owner for much less than the out of contract price at Apple or AT&T.

5. juneyah thread starter macrumors newbie

this sucks... so if I go to an at@t store I won't be able to jailbreak... is there anyway around this?

6. Ennoozunu macrumors newbie

The new blackra1n works with the new bootrom so it should be fine. I'm pretty sure it is a tethered jailbreak though. Meaning if your jailbreak it and the battery dies or you turn it off then you will need to plug it in and run blackra1n to boot it back up.

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Believe me, you don't want a phone aphone which uses a tethered jailbreak. If you have to reboot the phone for a quirk, or after installing something in Cydia, guess what, your phone is dead until you find your computer and USB cord. :eek:

8. hari-bhari macrumors regular

so from what i understand its still not possible to properly unlock/jailbreak a new iphone 3gs purchased from the apple/at&t store? i doubt their stock is lasting very long so whatever they are selling will have the newest boot rom

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That's what I thought at first. But after taking the plung with my 3rd gen Touch, I'm finding that I rarely have to reboot. There has been maybe one Cydia packet that required me to reboot after install. Most of the time, a respring is sufficient, and you don't need to rerun blackra1n for a respring. Most quirks can also be resolved with a respring, rather than a reboot. So it's a lot less hassle than I first thought. Still, my Touch isn't my phone, so I'm not sure how I'll feel about a tethered jailbreak if I were using an iPhone as my main phoine.

10. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I dont understand all of the talk in this thread, but I can tell you that my 3GS is jailbroken and the first 5 of the serial are 86938.

I haven't updated to the latest carrier settings though in itunes, but I am running 3.1.2. My firmware is 5.11.07.

11. weeman macrumors 6502

Turn your phone off and on and see what happens.

12. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Depending on the factory, the changeover week was between week 37 and 40, that's why I replied earlier than 37 to be positive.

A few have posted they have a week 40 phone with old bootrom

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Lucky shot. This whole week 40-36 reminds me of back when Apple released bootloader 4.6 vs bootloader 3.9 on the 1st Gen.

Ahh good times those where.

14. DeLoMan macrumors regular

Are we assuming that this new bootrom will someday be able to get jailbroken? I'm afraid that my 3GS might someday break and I'll need to get a replacement and I'll lose all of my jailbroken apps.

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

It is able to be broken now, but it is a tethered jailbreak. As far as untethered jailbreak, only time will answer that question.

16. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Lol. It turns off when I turn it off and on when I turn it on and it looks the same way it did before I powered it off. Wow....I used the Pwnage tool and it worked fine. I can show you a screenshot for proof. Relax WEEman.

17. weeman macrumors 6502

hahah...dang you lucked out! my friend got a week 38 and he cant power on his phone unless its hooked to a laptop.

18. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Ohhhh really? Wow. I didn't know that they were doing that. I guess I did. I thought you could use the Pwnage tool for the newer 3GS. Hmmmm. Did he use the Pwnage tool or blackra1n?

19. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Only Blackra1n will do a tethered JB