Buying a UMBP from CL

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hohohong, Mar 9, 2009.

1. hohohong macrumors 6502

Someone is selling a partly sealed 2.4, 15" UMBP for USD $1310. The first seal on the white box is tampered with, so there's a 2nd seal covering it.

I have not open the box, but the seller told me that the plastic seal inside is untampered and everything else is brand new. I would feel better he said used. He doesn't feel secure for me to go over to his place to do the transaction. But we meet in a coffee shop. That coffee shop do have cam that might comes in handy if need (provided that the owner of the coffee shop will allow for release of the video).

I check the serial number with Apple, but everything looked fine. I call local police department, but they can't do anything.

Should i buy it?? What other course of action should I do? If it's registered as stolen later, and I brought it back to Apple for warranty, what will happen?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Nothing. People might have their own opinions but I'm just going to say it: Apple doesn't support the customer, they support the computer. I've got a few calls about stolen computers and they ask what we can do and the answer is nothing.

Even if we note it as "STOLEN", when someone still calls in asking for help, we're not allowed to call the police and tell them who the stolen computer.

As with many "outside transactions" there is always a risk of something happening, I wouldn't be too worried about a computer, maybe something that has a lot more monetary value I would be skeptical but definitely not a computer even if it IS an Apple.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The price seems too low for an unused computer. I don't know what the best course of action would be, but certainly be alert and try to find out why he is selling it.

4. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Maybe it's a box full of weights, rocks or paper and he'll try to get you to pay him before you open it.

WARNING! Don't do it.

Even if it's not filled with weights, rocks or paper, are you going to have the time to spend 20 minutes with the computer, boot it up, see that it works, play around with it, etc.... to know it's not a scam?

I'm sure some MR member will correct me if I'm wrong, but I have one of these machines and I don't remember a 2nd seal inside the box when I got it new.

I'll say it again. WARNING! Don't do it. You're going to get hosed.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Think of it this way. Ignore whether you think there's something shady going for one second. This guy is selling his MacBook Pro for whatever reason, you're basically doing him a favor by taking it off his hands. He might not answer your questions but at the very least you should be able to open the product and turn it on just to make sure everything is working correctly. He shouldn't feel offended unless he's truly hiding something. I would definitely ask to see the product before making the purchase.

Was doing the exact same thing as you before I decided to go retail. Asked them a few questions see what their responses are, I found that most were shady so I didn't deal with them.

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The fact that he doesn't want the OP going over to his house is not a red flag. I personally am also uncomfortable with doing dealings at my own home over craigslist. As long as the OP is given adequate time at the place of meeting it is not an issue.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Agreed, I usually do my dealings in a VERY public place, Starbucks, mall. Would not want a stranger knowing where I lived.

8. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Hm... that's a good safety tip I didn't think of. Thanks you two. I have dealt with Craigslist items on a few occasions - at my place and at others homes as well. Not doing this in the future makes sense.

9. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

You should be able to examine the computer and test it to insure that it is in the condition the seller claims it to be in. Otherwise, I would be hesitant to buy from a craigslist ad. No test, no money.

10. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502

He's helping friend to sell it. Common reason to escape being ask more questions. And his friend is not around (in China) to gimme the receipt.

And i called apple about stolen Mac. There's no protocol on stolen goods.

How about test? What test should i run to check that everything works in the UMBP? How to I know battery cycle?

11. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502

He said I have to pay if I wanna broken the 1st seals. I can test it, and if not ask described, he'll return the $

12. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

RED FLAG right there. Walk away. You will never see your money again if there is an issue. When combined with the fact that he is supposedly selling it for a friend in China, there is too much suspicion to risk that much money. Look elsewhere.

13. bossxii macrumors 68000

New or Used, the only way I would purchase off CL is to meet in a public place (as others have pointed out) turn the machine on, make sure everything works, sound, check the battery cycles (as you mentioned) and then pay for the product. If they have an issue with you checking it out, I would walk away from it and move on.

I would never meet at someone's house, or my own for the security of it.

Bottom line if it sounds to good to be true. IT IS! I've seen these types of deals on CL over and over, some lists a machine locally, you contact them, they are "out of the country" for school etc.. These prove to be a scam over and over. IF they are willing to meet you at a local shop (starbucks, bookstore etc...) I'd meet with them during the day and check it out.

Your gut reaction is typically the RIGHT ONE, listen to it :)

14. J DILLA macrumors member

:rolleyes: is this a serious thread? if the 50% off pricetag didnt give you a big enough hint as to the intentions of the seller, then this surely did.

15. bossxii macrumors 68000

Wrong answer... never pay for anything until you verify it works. Scam, no one paying that price for a new 15" MBP would expect it to be NEW, it's a used machine and you taking one pc of plastic off it won't make it worth any less. If it's legit it's CHEAP already.

Scam or looking to rob you with 1300 cash on you, pass imo.

Not on MBP's but there was a couple of people robbed here in KC up north of downtown in a public park. The ad was for iPhones, people were showing up with 500 bucks for unlocked phones and greeted by two guys robbing them.

Not saying this is the same but anyone that won't let you check out a computer prior to paying them is trying to pull something.

16. pleuriticus macrumors member

BIG RED FLAG. Stay away from this one.

17. blooz4u macrumors newbie

I agree with almost every post here. I browse CL everyday, and if it doesn't check out or feel 100% right, then it probably isn't. There are some great legitimate deals to be had on CL, but for the most part, it's scammers trying to see how far they can take you for a ride. I looked for several months on CL for my UMBP, but in the end, I bit the bullet and spent the extra money at the Apple store!

18. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

The odds of you winning the lottery are better than you getting a new MBP out of this deal. Of course, the odds are even better that you will be struck by lightning when you walk out your door while heading out to meet this guy.

19. wesrk macrumors 6502a

this has all the the signs of a scam.

I can understand him not wanting to deal at home, so the idea of a coffee place is ok, but the "friend" thing is HUGE red flag. What he is basically doing is allowing himself an escape route, because when you pay and then get home and open the box and the computer is missing/not-working/faulty, etc., he can always say that he gave his "friend" the money and has no idea where the "friend" is... and you're out a bunch of cash.

If the computer is truly sealed then he should have no problem with you playing around with it, after all, if it's a lemon the "friend" should be able to go to any Apple store with the receipt and exchange it, that simple.

Also, what's with having to PAY just to be able to test the thing? That's not how it works, it's the other way around, you test it and if it's up to par THEN you pay.

So there you go, you've gotten advice from everybody about how dubious this deal seems to be, the price might be calling you, but be strong and USE COMMON SENSE before paying up, ask him politely one more time, if you're still strong about it, to meet and open the computer in order to CHECK it out, no risk involved since if it happens to be a lemmon the "friend" can exchange it and so on.

Now it's up to you, you are the only person to blame if this turns out to be a SCAM because you've been warned several times. And I know this doesn't matter to you probably, but if it was me, I would have stopped all communication the minute he started going about this whole "friend", pay before you open, second seal, etc.

Good luck.

20. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502

So basically, I can pay first, then open and test it right in front of him.

But think the $50 deposit idea is good. Pay him $50 1st, the open and test. All this at a coffee shop with surveillance camera.

Now, how do i test battery cycle? Do i have to download app for it?

21. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Don't do it. *smack*
    No. it's not good. It's not ok.

22. J DILLA macrumors member

you cant be serious... LOL

23. hohohong thread starter macrumors 6502

I think in terms of safety, I should be fine,... that coffee shop is crowded and cam around. Police frequent the shop for coffee.

I am able to use the coffee shop wifi to download the coconut app. What other test can I do?

Worst case, i lost that $50,.... if this is legit,... i save tonnes.

24. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Ok assuming it is legit you just want to check if it's functional. I know we all want a perfect computer but considering it's second hand, you take what you're given in a way. You will be under the one-year so any hardware defect can be taken care of free of charge. The battery I would definitely check only because AppleCare doesn't really cover it, only in certain conditions other than that, you're taking a gamble.

25. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

don't pay first. i am a frequent user of craigslist - and i don't understand the logic behind this one.

you may also want to bring a friend or two. just to be safe - also i don't recommend going to a strangers house - i don't think that him not allowing you is weird at all!