Buying a used MBP-wipe it clean?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mike330R, May 15, 2010.

1. Mike330R macrumors member

We are buying a 2006 version of a MBP for my wife to finally switch over to the Apple world.
    Should we wipe it clean with a fresh install on Snow Leopard or just use it as is?

What if we want to install software on it in the future and we don't know the previous owners password?

If we wipe it clean how is this done on a Mac?

Anything else we should do?

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

If I were you, I'd wipe it clean. No reason not to and it'd be a good way to "clean out" the system. It's also relatively easy to do so. Hopefully the person who you're buying it from gave you the original install discs (usually 2 CDs/DVDs). Just pop in the first one, follow the instructions to install it. System will reboot and load from the disc. Next, choose Utilities from the menu at the top and select Disk Utility. Locate the HDD drive, then format to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Then close it, then it should start installing.

3. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

just out of curiosity if you don't mind, how much are you getting the '06 for?

4. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

OP - Im guessing that for close to as much as you are buying this MBP for you will be able to buy the White Macbook which is about to be updated with specs much better than that MBP. One of these can be had brand new for $800 with the education discount.

5. Mike330R thread starter macrumors member

If I don't get the install disks can I use the either the ones that came with my MB or even the snow leopard disks I got a while ago?

Getting it for $400.

6. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

should be able to.
    unless this is some big leap from tiger or something. which it shouldn't be.

might want to partition your harddrive into two partitions and then back into one.
    that way no file ghosts survive.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Wipe it clean. If the current owner doesn't, there stupidity I suppose.

8. Mike330R thread starter macrumors member

Turns out it was wiped clean.
    Only issue we can see so far is the screen os not as bright as my MBP and it has some 'burn' (for lack of a better term) marks in it. Only really shows on a white screen though.