Buying A Verzion iPhone 4 Tomorrow

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flipster, Jun 5, 2011.

1. flipster macrumors 6502a

So, my Droid X just **** the bed, and Verizon wants me to pay $100 for a refurbished replacement unit. In other words; it's not happening. It's a piece of ****. Luckily, I have an upgrade available and I thought to myself, "screw 4g, it's still new, and it's a battery hog." I just need something that "just works" and based off people's opinions, the iPhone 4 is the answer to that.

My problem is this: I need a phone NOW, and apparently, it's rumored that Apple will release an iPhone 4S in September. Now, what am i going to do... I can't be phone less, but I don't want to get a phone, then a month later, have another one come out. Opinions? What will be different on the 4S? Bigger battery, dual core A5?

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Get the 4, return it within 30 days, repeat process until the next iPhone comes out.

Buy it at Apple so there is no restock fee.

Idk if Verizon will let you do that but my buddy did it with AT&T for 4 months!

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

Uh... sorry to be mean but that is just pathetic advice. At least I find that to be wrong because you will be using a product and then returning it for full refund.

Anyways, what the OP does is up to him. My advice is to just get the 4 if you need it - the 4S is suppose to be a slight bump and nothing major. I bought the 4 when it came knowing that the next iPhone will have NFC and what not and will come out in May or June of 2011 (obviously those rumors are no longer true). My point is that I did my research and realized that the wait was not worth it.

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I know my advice is bad but it still gives the OP an option.

5. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

Get what you want, or need, when you need it. If I waited for the next "latest and greatest" phone rumor, I would ALWAYS be waiting!

The iPhone 4 is an awesome phone. I plan to skip the next release and look forward to the 2012 iPhone.

6. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

You can always pick up a Palm Pixi Plus to stem the time between now and the iPhone 4S/5 and get it no contract for a little over 50 bucks on Newegg... And when iPhone 5 comes out, you will still have unlimited data.... But the iPhone 4 is a great device to, if you still want to get it...:D

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875101038

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'd consider this route, but if you think the DX is a more capable phone, you might as well pay the replacement fee of $100. Also, when you finally decide to get an iPhone, then you can actually sell your DX for a much higher price since it will be working compared to selling a broken one. That'd probably compensate the $100 for a refurbished one (that is without signing a contract, right?).

Or honestly, just go an buy an iPhone now. It's just a phone and if you really must get the new one when it comes out, then you can sell it for a decent price and upgrade while taking a small loss. But you are taking a loss any of these ways anyways.

8. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

if you can still get the upgrade deal in september i'd just settle for a cheep phone for the next couple of months. otherwise get the iphone now. it's still a fantastic device and it will continue to be for a while.

9. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll see what's going on at the WWDC tomorrow, I'll most likely end up just getting it though. I'm sick of having to keep up with technology, it's not worth it. I just need a phone that works at this point, and 4G isn't an option, plus why would i ever need to have a 24 mbps download on a phone? Yeah, its great if you can have it, but at this point, I can settle for a 3G phone.

I can already tell what their going to say. iPhone 4S "This Changes Everything. Again."

new spec bumps would most likely be:

768 mb of ram
    dual core a5
    better battery

thats it, and it's not worth the wait. The DX is a piece of ****, laggy, crappy motoblur and android software. The apps are horrendous too, don't let anyone fool you. As for flash....it's laggy and choppy too; I won't miss it

I'm looking forward to the phone that every company competes with. One with a good build quality, sexy design, and a fantastic OS

10. vettefanZR1 macrumors newbie

Agreed 100% specifically on this point. Motorola Android products don't do the android OS justice as they add on dumb crap. The apps aren't regulated to the extent of iOS, the widgets are poorly thrown together so they look both cheap and useless. When I had my Droid 2, the flash capability was a joke that brought the phone to its knees and destroyed the battery life.

If you need a phone, get the iPhone 4 and you most certainly will not regret it.

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

You just want a phone that works? I highly suggest not to get the 4. The signal drop is not worth it.

12. AlexJaye macrumors regular

The 4 is excellent!

I just got mine early last month & I have zero regrets for not waiting! You can upgrade in 2012 if you really want to. The 4 is definitely worth it as it's an amazing phone.

13. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

If you do that too often wouldn't they eventually refuse to do anymore returns for you and or eventually ban you from returning anymore products to the store? I know stores that have done that before to people for doing lots of returns in a short amount of time.

14. TheXFactor macrumors regular

I just bought a 32 gig at bestbuy, knowing that there may be a chance new ones are coming soon. I've sold some phones on various sites to help pay for new phones. But this time I did the buyback program at bestbuy. It may work out, it may not. But, if I decide not to go thru the hassle of selling it when the new iPhones arrive, bestbuy will pay me 50% of the original retail price of the iPhone during the first 6 months. I see 32 gig iPhones going for $450-500 on craigslist, so getting $400 from bestbuy might not seem like a bad deal.

15. bachelier macrumors member

How much did he have to wait between each swap?

16. bachelier macrumors member

BTW the next iphone will be the 5. I just can't fathom an iOS 5 on a 4s :)

17. Fleon85 macrumors member

@andrewr23

Hi Andrew I just bought an iPhone 4 pre owned online last friday, and i havent received it yet. the reason that I bought it is because I want the unlimited data plan. I didn't buy it before because I was waiting for the iPhone 5. My question is if I return it in 15 days I know that I have to pay 35 as restock fee but I don't care. How can I keep the data plan if I buy another from the apple store and return it every month until apple launch the iPhone 5? Thank you

18. Fleon85, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011

Fleon85 macrumors member

19. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

This far into the game I would advise not to go iPhone 4 and wait for the 4S/5 to arrive.

Have some will power and resist and get the newer device. It will be worth it in the end.

20. xdbuix macrumors 6502

The next iPhone could be 4g LTE, according to documents leaked by lulzek. The very same group thats been hacking security and police stations and etc. The group hacked ATT and got some 4g roll out plans. The documents say that there is a 4g iPhone and iPad in testing, however its in the test phase so it doesnt necessary mean the iPhone 5 will be 4g LTE.

Check out http://www.ifans.com/blog/25006/ for more info.

21. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

More bad advice. I'd offer a differing opinion if that made sense, but if you don't understand the issues with the iPhone 4 by now then me repeating them one more time won't change your mind.

But back to the topic. OP it's pretty simple: 1. iPhone 4 now and keep it; 2. iPhone 4 now and sell it when the next iPhone comes out; 3. Get a dumbphone and upgrade when the next iPhone comes out. Other than that, it's a personal decision and as you've found out people here have varying degrees of intelligence in their recommendations.

22. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You've got to be kidding me... That's your argument?

23. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Of course they are testing the iPhone and iPad on LTE, but all realistic preditions point to a 2012 release for an LTE iPhone. Just think about it... whatever iPhone is coming out in September has already been through the testing phase a long time ago and is entering the production phase.

There's really no way the upcoming iPhone is going to be LTE. And personally, I'm glad! Battery life still stinks, Verizon's LTE network has gone down multiple times since launch, and it'll be at least 6-12 months before LTE is both stable and ubiquitous.

As for advice to the original poster, whatever decision you make (if you have not made one already), just live with it and be happy. If you get the iPhone 4, don't feel any regret when the new one comes out later this year. The iPhone 4 has not only been a great phone for over a year now, it will be getting even better with iOS 5 with no additional cost! I'd argue that in terms of user experience, the iPhone 4 is still better than other phones being released right now.

And for the record, I had a Droid X for about 9 months before going back to the iPhone 4. The Droid X was exciting at first, but once the initial rush was over, I too realized that it subpar compared to my iPhone.

24. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Im not exactly sure if you get to keep the data plan when you return the phone.

25. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Yes, what's wrong with it? Every single day during business calls, my call drops whenever I hold the phone. I just put it on speakerphone now.

That and along with my ear putting calls on mute/hold and there is no way I can personally recommend this phone to anyone. MY opinion.

Also, My advice was just another different piece of advice, something my friend did that worked. I would never do it but it gives people the option.

Of course the best thing to do and something I have done is get the 4, sell it on eBay and pay the difference for the 5.