Buying a Zune HD was a mistake

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zblaxberg, Sep 24, 2009.

1. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

So I've had my Zune HD for all of a week and I'm pretty much bored with it. I sold my 16gb ipod nano thinking hey this Zune HD seems pretty cool, let's check it out. I went for a Zune HD and was lucky enough to save $50 with a promotion from Dell. The Zune HD is beautiful and the OLED screen is very impressive. But here is why I'm selling it and getting an ipod touch.

1. There are no more than 10 apps in the marketplace for the ZuneHD
    2. The browser is a very depressing mobile version that can't even connect to my university network.
    3. Transferring my music from itunes to my windows partition and into the Zune program was a pain.

So I guess I should have stuck with my Apple side after all. And this is the tale of why I will never use a microsoft product again. Long live the ipod.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Thats why I wouldn't be able to stop using Apple MP3 players. My iTunes library is fairly large (300gb), my photos are all in iPhoto (30gb) and organised well too. So I couldn't just buy a different brand MP3 player without having to sort out all my media again. Which just isn't going to happen!

3. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I don't think there's anything specifically against Microsoft here. You're just as likely to get a poor browser (Archos) or a poor application base (Samsung) on another brand/platform. And of course transferring your music to another platform is troublesome. This is no fault of the Zune software and no plus of the iTunes software; it's all about adoption. Sometimes I wish everyone just used .m3us and something simple like Winamp. Would save a lot of headaches and give a lot of people far more choice and flexibility.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sorry to hear it. Time to return it for a refund.

You obviously didn't read this:

Microsoft Zune HD vs Apple iPod touch 3G, Feature Comparison (AKA why Zune remains horrible for real users)
    http://obamapacman.com/2009/09/microsoft-zune-hd-vs-apple-ipod-touch-3g-feature-comparison/

You forgot to mention the long app launch time on Zune, such as approximately
    - 10 second launch time for Zune calculator
    - 10 second launch time for Zune weather
    - forced advertisement and half a minute to launch Zune chess

And lots more deficiencies that blind supporters of MS did not mention.

5. Target362 macrumors 6502

To be honest the ipopd hype died a long time ago. It seems to be only popluar with those 14-16 year old tech wanna bes who always seem to think they are right and everyone else is worng and always picking a fights with people

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sure, must be hype, not usability. :rolleyes:

Apple cracks top 20 global brands in Business Week study
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/09/21/apple_cracks_top_20_global_brands_in_survey.html

Wall Street Journal Asia: Apple Most Admired in Asia
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article...dshare_in_asia_far_outweighs_marketshare.html

7. Target362 macrumors 6502

Both of those links dont bring me any artiucles.

and if there was soooooo much hype, then why hasnt there been any like there was 5-6 years ago?

explain that ;)

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

iPhone has taken away the hype from the iPod. ;)

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Oops line break fail. Fixed the links.

iPhone = revolutionary.

Did you forget Apple popularized
    - personal computer
    - mouse
    - usb
    - wifi
    - portable music player
    - touch screen portable devices
    - mobile applications

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Sorry but looking threw that comparison it just is cover with a lot of Apple fanboy crap in it. And standard Microsoft Bash.

Remember the Apps will be limited conisdering the damn thing JUST LAUNCH. you have to give the apps some time to build up.

11. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Come on people the Ipod is an Mp3 player there is nothing special about it. Besides the comment about usability I have never had a problem using an Mp3 player.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It was launched to compete against the iPod Touch. So, if it can't stand ground with a user for 10 days, then it doesn't have much to bring it. Mostly catch up.

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

So let's see

Zune Calculator app: 8-10 second to launch
    iPod touch Caclulator app: 1 second

Zune Weather app: 8-10 second to launch
    iPod touch Weather app: 1-2 second

Zune chess app: 30 second to launch
    iPod touch Chess app: 5 second to launch

See a pattern here?

MS can build up alright, build up wasting their users time (and also MS makes money with forced Advertising every time you use an additional app)

FYI Zune was launched 3 years ago. Before that MS tried to license it out as the Play for Sure platform (but discontinued it). It's not like it's their version 1 release with no other products on the market for them to reverse engineer.

14. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You see because of the standard Microsoft bash and apple Fanboy crap in the site I throw out all the testing information and consider it worthless.
    It is to bais to be worth anything.

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Proof something is wrong.

Yes truth hurt. You have to accept it some time.

Let's see

The Zune HD is better than Apple's 2006 iPod players. "Too bad it's 2009."
    Boston Globe

Referring to the poorly implemented controls of the Microsoft Zune HD:
    “Usability has taken a punch to the gut” and “the more I used this, the more I hated it.”
    Arstechnica

16. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

that is sarcasm right ?

the Zune HD is targeted to compete with ipod touch, so far it is not doing so well.
    the forced ads and slow response times are not made up apple fanboyisms.
    the OLED screen being virtually unusable in sunlight is also a real fact.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I bought a first gen iPod touch, then I somehow cracked the screen, bought another 2g without even thinking. Ballerest **** evar.

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That was a good read. I had no idea things were that bad for the Zune (so far I've only read forum comments about it). I also (again, I haven't looked this up) didn't know that OLED was that poor in daylight. I use my iPod a lot outdoors so I should probably stick to LED.

And WTF adverts? Yesyes I should read up on this :rolleyes:. That's quite obtrusive however.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I read up on it and the ads are on those fun free games out there. Have to watch an add to play them. I bet if you put a paid game on there or as time goes on some of the game apps those ads will go away.

I read the same thing and it just did not seem to add up right to me. It felt way to bias to be worth anything. Yes I feel the iTouch has more advatages but it not as bad as that article makes it out to be.

20. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Did you see the video of the chess app opening in the ZuneHD? It shows you an ad for 30 sec before the app is functional.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Given that Microsoft are the only people charging for peer to peer multiplayer in games (Xbox Live) and still display adverts, I'd imagine they will stick to adverts. Even MSN Messenger has adverts :rolleyes: (unless you remove them with a hack).

22. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

If Microsoft builds apps for their own platform and it still takes 8 seconds to launch it then what can be said about third party apps?

It simply was rushed for this holiday season.

23. Target362 macrumors 6502

I'd take the over all design of the Zune HD over the touch anyday. But I still like the touch, just not the design. zune HD fells like a premium product

24. thefnshow macrumors regular

well the zune hd just launched so it will take time for apps to show up...the speed of the apps opening could be fixed with firmware updates...my biggest problem is it's only 32 gigs..i find the fact that people are getting pissed about a lack of apps for an MP3 PLAYER is hilarious

25. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

It's because the bar has been set by the iPod touch. And also, it's Microsoft. Of course people are going to draw that comparison.

Not very fair to Microsoft, really. I don't think any other company producing a touchscreen player would get as much heat. Even though, primarily, Apple & Microsoft's war should revolve around their operating systems.