Buying advice for a new iMac 27" in 2017?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GeraltDieSocke, Apr 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GeraltDieSocke macrumors newbie

GeraltDieSocke

Hi guys,

so I want to get myself an iMac since I love my macbook but could use a bigger monitor.

I will use it mainly for development and web design (designing and creating websites). Also sometimes I will play a few games that won't use much graphics power (Heroes of the storm, path of exile) but that's secondary.

Now I have a few questions?

• New iMacs will come out this year right? Do we know a date?
    • Will the actual iMacs drop in price and how many will they drop roughly?
    • If I will buy an iMac in the next few days because I don't want to wait for the new models since I think I'm fine with the actual one for the things I will do, what configuration would be the best? My plan would be this: 8GB Ram, 512 GB SSD (instead of 1 TB Fusion), AMD M390 2GB and the "slower" i5? What do you think about this plan? Or better go for the i7 and 16Gig Ram?
    Thank you guys!

2. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

No date yet for the new iMacs...
    The current iMacs will drop in price s bit, but typically only a small amount ($100-200 USD)...

What's your budget? The 27" iMac still has user upgradeable memory, so save yourself a bit of cash there and do it yourself with OWC memory vs Apple memory prices. To future proof your iMac, go with the faster processor and the M395 video card options... and stay away from the 5400 RPM spinning HD and the 1TB Fusion drive. Go with the biggest SSD you can afford... and consider the 2TB Fusion drive as a cheaper alternative. (The SSD part of the 1TB Fusion is only 24GB, and really makes very little difference over the spinning HD).

3. theluggage macrumors 68030

Nobody knows. There's no guarantee that there will be new iMacs this year, although it seems likely (and a lot of people will be very disappointed/angry if there isn't).

Nobody knows (with bells on). However - past form (for the iPad, iPhone and 2016 MacBook Pro) would for the "new" iMacs to be more expensive, with maybe a (reduced) selection of the old models kept for "entry level". It depends a bit how radical any new iMac design is. I very much doubt there will be a price drop.

Sounds fine for your application: the days when "Development" gave you an excuse to buy the top-of-the-range machine are long gone - you're mainly buying it for the screen. I'd agree with going for a "modest" all-SSD config and keeping the spinning rust out of the machine - you can always supplement it with external/networked storage - its not like a laptop where there's a benefit to having everything you need inside the machine. The big performance benefit for general use comes from having the system, applications. temp files etc. on SSD. Technically, you could probably get by with 256GB if you're disciplined about keeping bulky stuff offline, but 512GB buys you some convenience/lazyness. i7 and the bigger GPUs are of more interest to people doing video/high-end photo and 3D. As the previous poster said, you can upgrade the 27" iMac's RAM at your leisure, more cheaply than Apple's upgrades.

That said... for an all-in-one, non-upgradeable machine, I'd probably splash out on the highest-specced version I could spare the money for, on the basis that it would last me for years and cope with anything I decided to do - but that's "want" instead of "need".

The mantra again: if you need a new machine now, buy what's available now. If you don't need one right now, wait. (unless you desperately need retail therapy).

You could also check whether your MacBook (you don't say which model) could drive an external display - most Macs will drive a 27" 2560x1440 display, post-2012 can usually manage 4k.

4. GeraltDieSocke thread starter macrumors newbie

GeraltDieSocke

Hi thank you for your answers.

So my budget is not a problem but I want the best use for my money without to overkill it.
    So I think the best graphic unit for example I don't need because I read about that it has about 5 % more performance then the 2nd one. That is too less performance increase to justify the price.

So I think I will go with the i5 Mac with 8 Gig (I can update it myself in the future) and the 512GB SSD. Graphic Card I will chose the 2nd one because it fits my needs and if games won't work well, I don't care because I have a gaming rig too.

@theluggage
    Your point with the macbook is interesting. I have e macbook pro (the small size) late 2015.

I had that idea too and infect I tried some settings out with it. I have an Asus ROG 27" 144Hz Monitor but this thing only has 1 Display Port input. So this is my monitor for gaming (due to the 144hz mainly) so I have to unplug it every time and put it into the macbook. Besides I have no adapter. Also I had to get myself a wireless keyboard and mouse because I just have the Logitech G19 and G400 for my Desktop.

Then I had this idea yesterday that I use my normal windows gaming rig and install the Airplay Server software on it. So I streamed my mac monitor to the windows monitor (asus rog). The idea seems great at first although the resolution ratio was not that premium, but then I figured that I can't use my mouse and keyboard for this scenario.
    So I googled and asked around and found the software "Synergy". It lets you use your mouse + keyboard on many pc's. So I bought it, installed it and it worked, but very laggy and ugly.

That's when I decided, screw it I get myself a mac.

And I have to say I just ordered it :p
    Can't wait for that juicy 5K Display. I have to see it myself :D

Thanks for the help again.

5. theluggage macrumors 68030

That ought to be able to run a nice 27"-30" 4k display @ 60Hz which would give you a ton of "real estate" for development etc.

...still, the 5k iMac should be nice :)