Buying advice: iPhone 4 or IPhone 5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gmemon, Apr 6, 2011.

1. gmemon macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3G and its battery is almost die. It cannot last even for 1 call, unless I have it plugged in. I was trying to suffer till June and get an iPhone 5. But, now it seems to be delayed. Moreover, I have some heavy travelling coming up during May, when I will need a smartphone. So, should I buy an iPhone 4 now?

2. EmilH, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  3. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Definitely wait. Don't buy a 10 month old device.

4. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

5. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

6. BHOBBSTX macrumors newbie

7. gmemon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your suggestions. AT&T is selling iPhone 4 32 GB refurbished for $199. That might be one option?

8. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

How is this even possible? I'm still rocking my iPhone 2G. Battery is strong, albeit slightly diminished. Still perfectly useable. What did you do to make the battery die so much? :eek:

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm waiting for iPhone 5 too :(
    If WWDC does not have anything to do with iOS or iPhone 5, then I might highly consider upgrading to a refurbished iPhone 4 for $99, then upgrading to iPhone 5 later for $299 (since I have two upgrades) but I'm probably going to wait it out considering I have a fairly new 3GS. Even if I get the 4 now, and decide to keep it, its going to be the same story as with my 3GS. I'll just want the latest device, so I might as well just stick 3GS, right?

Recharging the phone a lot diminishes the battery. The OP probably uses his phone quite a bit, hence needs to recharge it often.

10. randyharris macrumors regular

I didn't have the battery issues that you did, but I also was using an iPhone 3G that was unlocked and used on TMobile. The speed of the phone was terribly slow, and the Edge network was very slow also.

When the rumors came out about the possibility of the iPhone 5 being delayed from Summer to Fall or later, I decided to go get myself a new Verizon iPhone 4 now. I'm not worried about the new processor or other improvements the 5 may contain. I plan on upgrading when the iPhone 6 comes out, and this phone will keep me quite happy until that time.

11. gmemon thread starter macrumors newbie

How did you get 2 upgrades? I just AT&T and they told me if I get refurbished phone, I will have to wait for 2 years to get a new phone, unless I pay the full price?

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I have 2 lines and the person using the other line could care less about which phone they have, and would be fine with an iPhone 4.
    But as I said, I'm most likely going to wait it out.

And AT&T is correct. It will set you back 2 years until you can upgrade next. iPhone 4 is still good though. If I had a 3G which was pretty much broken, I'd upgrade to the 4. (Well, I'd try installing a new battery first :p )

13. gmemon thread starter macrumors newbie

The last checked, a new battery costs $70 and I will have to send the phone to Apple for a week. I would much rather pay $99 for iPhone 4G refurb :)

14. randyharris macrumors regular

How about $9 with free shipping, swap it yourself, if you're going to otherwise throw it away what do you have to lose?

15. gmemon thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the return policy for refurbished phones?