Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shanec2008

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
I'm going to New York on the 24th of November and I want to get the new 27" iMac because it's waaaay cheaper in America but the big problem is how will I get it back to Ireland. It's too big to bring as hand luggage and I think it's too fragile to but in a suitcase. So how would I get it back too Ireland, could I mail it back with Fed Ex or what could I do. Please help!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Take it to a FedEx or UPS Store and have them put that original box inside another box with some extra packing material.

And insure it.

Though if you do decide insure it for full cost, you'll most likely get hit with the import taxes. So it'll probably add quite a bit to the cost of the machine.

Bbusyb

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2009
Notts, UK / Alex, Egypt
As Mentioned, you should be able to Mail it Back pretty easily. You should use the Original Box, and it May be worth packing that box inside another with additional Padding to ensure additional Protection.

Do Keep in mind that the Cost of FedEx, Insurance and the VAT and Import Duty you will be charged when it arrives in Ireland will all add to the final cost.

Also, If you are buying it in a Store in th US, you will usually be charged Sales Tax which is not listed on the Apple Site, which can add another 8-10% to the Price you'll pay.

If after All that, the savings are still Substantial, definitely go for it.

MICMAC247

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
Take a look at the box when you see it up close and personal. Depending on what airline you're on they likely won't let you carry it on.

Here's a forum that discussed the box size for the 24" back in 2008:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/447343/

So if you factor in that the 27" is about 12.5% bigger, you may be looking at a box with these dimensions:

27" x 30.38" x 11.25" (approx: 2.3 ft. x 2.5ft x 1ft) or... (68.63cm x 77.18cm x 28.58cm)

Consider Apple's ongoing plan to reduce packaging and you may have an even smaller box on your hands.

Make sure you insure the hell out of that package if you decide to mail it over.

Good luck!

MICMAC247

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
As Mentioned, you should be able to Mail it Back pretty easily. You should use the Original Box, and it May be worth packing that box inside another with additional Padding to ensure additional Protection.

Do Keep in mind that the Cost of FedEx, Insurance and the VAT and Import Duty you will be charged when it arrives in Ireland will all add to the final cost.

Also, If you are buying it in a Store in th US, you will usually be charged Sales Tax which is not listed on the Apple Site, which can add another 8-10% to the Price you'll pay.

If after All that, the savings are still Substantial, definitely go for it.

NYC Sales Tax is 8.875%. If you want to save a couple of bucks, head across the river to New Jersey where the ST is only about 6%.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
I'm going to New York on the 24th of November and I want to get the new 27" iMac because it's waaaay cheaper in America but the big problem is how will I get it back to Ireland. It's too big to bring as hand luggage and I think it's too fragile to but in a suitcase. So how would I get it back too Ireland, could I mail it back with Fed Ex or what could I do. Please help!

I have an iMac 24", first Alum, 2.8 extreme computer. I shipped the computer as cargo and it went into the cargo compartment in the plane with no issues. (I also had 3 connecting flights as well!) I was charged $50.00. Airlines however have a maximum sized box you can ship so depending on the airlines, you need to ask them the maximum size and weight to get a cost.

Where I was flying to I did not have to pay a VAT, or any customs fees or taxes....so your costs will vary!

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
MA
And then watch from the plane window as they throw your beautiful new iMac into the cargo hold like a sack of potatoes... :D

Meh, I've seen how Fedex/UPS handles "fragile" packages. Not much better than a baggage handler. Also figure that the iMac will be packed pretty tighly in its box. I'd agree with the previous post and pack it in a large suitcase with your clothing stuffed around it.

EDIT: Also, most boxes for desktops, printers, and other large electronic items are rated for strength. If you look at the bottoms of boxes for most big devices, you should see this.

And from another forum:

My friend worked at Apple and guaranteed that the original shipping box/packaging was the best option. It is tested for air handling, drop tested, etc.

Usually when stores receive these items, they receive them in the box they give you. There's no additional packaging when transported.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Remember, if your going to be using a courier (Fedex, UPS etc) - when your package arrives at the destination port (Ireland) - it will be subject to checks by customs... whom will charge VAT, Duty and admin charges by the courier on top of that (Parcelforce do this).

zorahk

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
North Korea
I recommend you underinsure it but pay for the computer with a CC that has protection (ala visa).

Because EU vat sucks, but you don't want to be totally screwed.

MBPro825

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2009
Wisconsin
I realize that you really like the new iMacs (I do too), but if you are going to ship it back to Ireland then you may want to look for something smaller. Maybe a Macbook Pro?

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
I put a refurbished cinema display as checked luggage earlier this year and made it through with absolutely no problem and this is connecting through JFK and CDG.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Remember, if your going to be using a courier (Fedex, UPS etc) - when your package arrives at the destination port (Ireland) - it will be subject to checks by customs... whom will charge VAT, Duty and admin charges by the courier on top of that (Parcelforce do this).

Yep.

If we look at the quad core iMac:

$1,999 + 8.875% sales tax + $250 shipping (fedex, there are other solutions) + 21.5% VAT = €1,981 today compared to €1,799 at the ireland Apple store. There are ways to make it cheaper but don't assume you can avoid VAT just because someone tells you they brought a laptop back without declaring it.

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
A few tips - I used to travel a lot earlier, and packed about $3-$4 k of professional audio gear in my checked baggage - always made it.. but I would not put a iMac or a MBP in checked baggage - because it would just be too tempting for any airline baggage handler to resist. The pro audio stuff never looked expensive so I got away with it. Plus, you can't insure your checked baggage (I think) to cover the imac's loss.

1. Buy the iMac from an out of state retailer and make sure they can ship it to you at your hotel - that way you will save about $160 or so in tax.

2. You can use USPS Priority Mail - much cheaper than FedEx or UPS (and if anyone here even tries to claim that usps is not good compared to fedex/ups - not true, I use usps all the time - everyday) Insure it and ship it out from the post office.

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
If you think baggage handlers are so stupid they'd risk their jobs over something that would 100 % certainly be found out, and is worth less than a month's salary, you should probably be checked for Teh Paranoia.

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Are you sure you wouldn't be happy with a higher end MBP? Sure it'll cost more up front, but you can easily take it as carry-on when you go back... plus you won't have to worry about any customs checks. I'd bet in the end you'd save money. Except for not having a 27" screen, that is...

I mean, I thought the 24" box was big... I can't imagine the size of the 27". It'd cost quite a lot to get that over seas. Unless you brought a huge suitcase specifically for it... and then emptied the contents on the way back. Maybe you could bring us some Jaffa cakes?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

I don't know about today's iMac, but if they're like the iMacs from 2-3 years ago, then you'll have problems. Unlike the laptop line, iMacs didn't come with an AC adapter with a voltage transformer to change the voltage between 120 and 240 volts. The power supply was inside the iMac, and not easy to replace with your own. If you plug it into your AC outlet in Ireland, it won't work.

Perhaps things have changed, but I'd check the iMac spec page at Apple's website. ;)

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
2. You can use USPS Priority Mail - much cheaper than FedEx or UPS (and if anyone here even tries to claim that usps is not good compared to fedex/ups - not true, I use usps all the time - everyday) Insure it and ship it out from the post office.

You'll be required to fill out a customs declaration if you send something overseas via USPS.

I don't know about today's iMac, but if they're like the iMacs from 2-3 years ago, then you'll have problems. Unlike the laptop line, iMacs didn't come with an AC adapter with a voltage transformer to change the voltage between 120 and 240 volts. The power supply was inside the iMac, and not easy to replace with your own.

The internal power supply handles 100-240 VAC- it's just a matter of getting a plug adapter. It's been that way since at least the Lamp iMacs...

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
it's waaaay cheaper in America

I suspect it wont be once you figure in the duty & tax you'll have to pay, plus shipping cost. Work that out first, before you buy, you may be unpleasantly surprised.

You may also find other issues, such as a keyboard with no Euro key, that involve additional expense.

My guess is, you'll save no more than 10% tops. Work it out yourself and then decide if its worth the risk of it ending up with a broken screen (mostly likely thing to breal in shipping) with the hassle of getting reimbursement?

If you bring it in yourself, some things you may be able to sneak through customs (so I've heard :), but a 27 inch iMac will be fairly conspicuous :)

rowsdower

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2009
If you think baggage handlers are so stupid they'd risk their jobs over something that would 100 % certainly be found out, and is worth less than a month's salary, you should probably be checked for Teh Paranoia.

Exactly. It's not like it's a little piece of jewelry that they could slip into their pockets.

tofagerl

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
"Hon? Have you seen the iMac? -- Yes, I looked through the entire bag! -- No, it's not under the socks. Are you sure you didn't pack it in your carry-on with the cigarettes and the phone? Oh, maybe it's inside the shoes..."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.