buying an iphone 4 off craigslist, advice?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by az988, Oct 2, 2010.

1. az988 macrumors member

Hey guys,

I am planning to meet someone in a public place this evening to finish the transaction. The seller does not have the box or any accessories but promises it is in perfect condition.

Is there anything I should be concerned about? It has 4.0.2 firmware, and I was planning to unlock it for use on T-mobile when an unlock is released in the coming weeks (hopefully).

Thanks!

2. iMaconApple macrumors 6502a

check the water sensors just to make sure..cracks/make sure flash on cam works/ home button pushes up down good and get stuck/check if the head phone jack works/make calls/test speakers..

i dont know what else to say maybe other will pitch in thats all i can think of..

3. az988 thread starter macrumors member

Very thorough! If the phone is in an unusable state (must be synced with iTunes), I won't be able to test a lot of that stuff. As long as there's no water damage or cracks, it should be fine since the phone is under warranty, right? (it's only 6 days old) Thanks for your help!

4. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

Don't do it...

I'm guessing there's no way to fully test this & there's no way to get your money back if you find a problem later that you weren't made aware of.

If the gamble of the total loss of every dime you pay for this phone is acceptable, then so be it.

I would prefer to pay a greater price & 'know' I'm covered than buy something like this off of CL where there's no recourse short of a police involvement...

If you decide to take that chance, i hope you get a great deal with no regrets.

Please keep us updated.

5. Jay28 macrumors newbie

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Chronic Dev Team the one working on the new 4.1 jailbreak never had plans to make a unlock for 4.1+.

6. HeatherA macrumors 6502

HeatherA

6 days old and no box or accessories? Is it stolen?

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If the IP4 is on 4.0.2 it has a Baseband that is unlockable. You can upgrade the IP4 to 4.1 and keep the old baseband which is unlockable and hence there is no bad news.

8. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Yep, doesn't quite add up does it?? With no box I'd be concerned being only 6 days old but not headphones or charger? I wouldn't touch it!

9. az988 thread starter macrumors member

Oops, I was wrong about that. He does have the accessories but threw away the box.

Thanks everyone for all your points! I guess I will take a chance -- I feel pretty confident it'll be ok as long as I inspect the water sensors and make sure it has no cracks (I am very picky and can see anything external after close inspection).

If I don't make it back to the forum later tonight then call the police for me!! :)

10. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Most people advertising phones that are only a few days old on Craiglist are selling phones that have just been warranty replaced by Apple. It seems it is a pretty Common thing to invent some mysterious problem on the phone and get apple to replace it just before selling. It explains the lack of a box which was thrown away months ago when the original phone was purchased.

11. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

I can understand to a degree not having the box but had it truly been only 6 days old and no accessories(charger especially) that puke raise some red flags in my book! Now that the op says it does include them as long as the phone checks out the op should be fine. No accessories and I'm automatically thinking they just picked it up somewhere. It's good though to be over cautious when making a craigslist deal nowadays!

12. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

I agree. Even if it does have the accessories that dosent mean it wasnt stolen. I take my accessories with me to the hotel I stay at each week but for some reason I dont feel the need to take the box or the receipt. Thats just me...:D

How much are you paying for this awesome deal that youre willing to potentially buy stolen property or a damaged phone that you can only look at from a total stranger you met on Craigs List?

This may be totally on the straight & narrow but there is, IMO, a much greater chance that it isnt.

As I said before, I hope you get a great buy from an honest person. That would be very cool for you.
    But my spider senses say something aint quite right...:rolleyes:

13. az988 thread starter macrumors member

I'm getting the phone for $450. You're right though -- even with the accessories it could still be stolen... Hmmmm... :/

14. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Wouldn't it be on 4.1 then?

If it is stolen, and the IMEI is blacklisted, you might end up with an unusable phone.

15. bhattsan macrumors member

Check and make sure the basband firmware is not 2.10.04 (Settings -> About Modern Firmware). I upgraded to 4.1 and downgraded to 4.0.1 and the baseband sticks and you can't unlock it :(. Not a prob for me ofcourse since Im on ATT

16. JrFreak macrumors 6502a

JrFreak

17. nwbusa macrumors regular

It sounds a bit shady. Me personally, I would ask to see the receipt (which any legit buyer would have in case they needed to return/exchange it).

18. AppleLover9o macrumors regular

Shoot.. even a debit statement from the Apple store is proof even of true ownership. Does sound weird.

19. az988 thread starter macrumors member

couldn't resist and ended up getting it

I ended up meeting the seller... Yes, this sounds shady but he said he got it free through one of those promotional web-sites where you sign up for a bunch of offers (through their referrals), and they reward you at the end. Anyway, the phone looked perfect, I was able to play around with it and test everything. He was selling it because he was happy with his G1 and couldn't unlock the 4.0.2 firmware...

I just checked the warranty status, and it's good until 9/20/2011. The IMEI # is unblocked, and the modem firmware is 01.59.00. For what it's worth, he seemed like an honest guy when I talked to him in person, but all the circumstances do seem a little strange. Oh well, see no evil, hear no evil. :p

Thanks for all your feedback!!

20. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

21. The General macrumors 601

Well, that's not entirely true. At 4.0.2, the baseband is still unlockable, but the phone is not jailbreakable, so you are unable to install Ultrasn0w to unlock it.

The baseband is unlockable. He will just have to wait for a way to preserve the baseband and jailbreak.

22. az988 thread starter macrumors member

Haha thanks, me too!! :D

23. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

Well, congrats.

I too am glad you got a good deal & are still in one piece... :D

24. Vick84 macrumors regular

Vick84

im glad everything went smoothly for you.

But i would suggest next time, when you test ur phone, tell him that u wanna call his # and check the sound quality, speaker, and everything so that way you have his cell #. Most people use home phone payphone. or skype to communicate if they are doing shady work. Also test out the video camera and record him and while recording have a convo about the phone so you have him on recording stating phone is not stolen or anything.

25. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

It sounds like the guy was legit, but just so you're aware it is a crime to purchase stolen property. Try to keep some record of the transaction (email addresses, phone numbers, etc) in case it ever becomes an issue.