Buying an iPhone, now what?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by klymr, Jan 21, 2008.

1. klymr macrumors 65816

So, I plan on buying an iPhone later today from the Apple store (and I pray that it is not a 1.1.3). How do I check what version it is when I get it home? A guy I work with ordered his iPhone from apple.com and got it last week I believe. He used a Next Sim to hardware unlock it so he could use it on T-Mobile's network. I plan on doing the same thing. He said it was fairly easy, but the tutorials he followed left out a few steps that he had to figure out himself. Anyway, what are the first steps that I need to take with this thing? It should still work if it's a 1.1.2 OTB, right? I just don't want to travel to the Apple store, buy a phone, and travel back to find out I have to wait months to get it unlocked. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

2. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

So, I have my iPhone sitting here at home in the box. What would be the first step to do? I can only guess it's a 1.1.2 with 4.6 bootloader since it came from the Apple store directly. I don't think they'd have a 1.1.3 in their stock yet, would they?

3. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, I don't have an unlock SIM yet, but I plan on getting one here soon. What do I need to do first to my iPhone?

I just checked the firmware version via the emergency keypad and it says I have version 04.02.13_G. What does all that mean? If I could get some sort of direction or input that would be awesome. Thanks.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

04.02.13_G is Out of the Box (OTB) 1.1.2. This means you can use TurboSIM or StealthSIM with it.

5. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok, that's good to know.

So, can I "activate" the phone without the SIM so I can at least use some of the funtions? Do I just follow one of those tutorials online and get to that point? I've downloaded the iPhone restore files for 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 as well as iNdependence. I just don't want to screw anything up at this point. Thanks.

6. macmalaga macrumors newbie

macmalaga

Klymr, just follow the tutorials

You have all the files you need, downgrade to 1.1.1, then jailbreak, then upgrade to 1.1.2 and jailbreak again, you can use it except as a phone following all the steps (I´m just an apple user, not a hacker or an expert and I worked fine to me step by step), then buy a Stealthsim, Nextsim2... installing iworld from the installer app and you will have a complete iphone. :)

7. jeffmc macrumors 6502

if you're planning on downgrading to activate it you might as well jailbreak then run amySIM before you upgrade it back to 1.1.2

it's a little more safe and it's free, there's plenty of tutorials on this forum on jailbreaking, unlocking then updating a 1.1.1 phone

8. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought you couldn't use AnySIM with a 1.1.2 OTB phone. Am I wrong?