Buying an Unlocked iPhone 3g on Craigslist....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xDeathReaperx, Feb 19, 2011.

1. xDeathReaperx macrumors regular

All I have to do is put my T-Mobile Sim Card in and everything will work fine right (texting & calling)

Am I right?^

2. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You'll have to turn off 3G for t-mobile

3. xDeathReaperx thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean? Can someone explain to me what this guy just said? How exactly will I be able to turn it off? Explain.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Settings > General > Network > Enable/Disable 3G

5. jaylay0707 macrumors member

You don't necessarily have to turn off 3G, it just conserves the battery. The iPhone isn't compatible with T-Mobile's 3G network, so there is no point in having it on. Anyhow, it's in the settings.

If you put your SIM card in, you should be able to call and text right away. You may have to install a couple of hacks though for mobile internet and MMS.

6. xDeathReaperx thread starter macrumors regular

So, even if I buy a DATA Plan with T-Mobile I can't use the iPhone for internet and Email?

7. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Try Google there's tons of posts out there about this. Everything will work fine you just need to finesse the settings if you want to get away with a cheaper data plan.

8. xDeathReaperx thread starter macrumors regular

I don't need a Data Plan do I? Since I'm unlocking it.. (The phone is unlocked)

9. bwrairen macrumors 6502

Hey xDeathReaperx....I forgot how to use Google....could you help me out?

10. Gavernty macrumors 6502

wiat, so you're telling me this isn't a message board designed to help with apple products? Maybe you should go join the google forums that way you can tell people who ask about apple products to come here for help.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You can, however, it will not operate over T-Mobile's 3G network, only on its slower 2G network.

12. bwrairen macrumors 6502

This guy has started 4 new threads today about this phone, including one that asked where to buy a sim tray. I think it is common courtesy to at least run a search to see if someone has asked the same question you have before starting multiple new threads with simple questions.

13. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ah, didn't know that. The few times I tried a t-mobile sim the phone didn't work until I turned 3G off.

You'll need a data plan to use Internet, but you'll be using it on Edge at Edge speeds.

14. jenzjen macrumors 68000

This isn't a I'm too lazy to spend 10 seconds of my time to find what's been answered a million times before me forum. If it were, we might as well rename it Cnet community.