buying AppleCare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Vin365, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Vin365 macrumors regular

I plan on purchasing a MBP once the refresh is released, I was wondering if I would be better off purchasing AC (with my student discount) or if I should use another service such as Squaretrade?

I know there are countless threads on this issue but I wasn't able to dig up any that asked if they should use a dif. service, so help would be gladly appreciated.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Ultimately, it's your choice.
    I went with AppleCare since it seemed easier to use than Squaretrade.

I'd rather trust Apple with fixing my computer than I would with Squaretrade.

3. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Prices vary from seller to seller. Just make sure you deal with a reputable company. Based on comments in these forums you should be careful buying AppleCare from EBay due to scammers.

4. Vin365 thread starter macrumors regular

have you had to use it? Also do you know how AC comes into play when it comes to accidental damage?

5. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

It doesn't.

6. mcmahand macrumors newbie

Stick with applecare... For one who else would replace your laptop free after the third time in the shop (within 3 months) with a brand new one; AND then refund you the remaining $$ for time left on your applecare?? No need to buy when you get it either, just make sure to purchase it before the normal warranty ends... btw, B&H is still cheaper shipped to your door even with the student discount from apple.

accidental damage it does not cover...

7. Vin365 thread starter macrumors regular

how so? I just checked and the price is still cheaper @ Apple with student discount.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yes.

They've
    1) replaced the logic board
    2) replaced the screen two times
    3) given me a whole new computer
    4) replaced battery on new computer

I wouldn't have had to pay for this since it would have been included in the one year basic warranty, but knowing that this computer will be covered until 2014 makes me happy. I don't have to worry about anything.

My friend has problems on his 2010 15" MacBook Pro and his computer is out of warranty so now he has to live with the issues he is having because the repairs from Apple are costly.

Also, AppleCare doesn't come with accidental damage. But seriously though, as long as you don't drop the computer or spill food/drink on it, you'll be fine.

9. mcmahand macrumors newbie

If your state has an apple store apple has to charge tax, where as B&H does not

10. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Check B&H Photo and the L.A. Computer Company; both consistently have the best online Applecare prices. LACC sometimes beats the Apple education discount.

eBay Applecare is mostly fraudulent. Sellers who e-mail serial numbers resell the same serial number to multiple buyers. Ignore the seller ratings because buyers don't realize that they have been scammed until they try to redeem the warranty.

11. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

On B&H, you can get 15&17in Applecare for only 244USD.
    For 13in 190USD

12. rault18 macrumors member

rault18

I chose ST because of the price and accidental drop....I used it on my old one already and I'm glad I got it