Buying Based on Camera - Which Model?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aetherpeak, Oct 1, 2017.

1. aetherpeak Suspended

Currently I have an SE. It takes serviceable pics, but not quite the quality I want/need. I prefer shooting with my DSLR, but obviously as many know, the best camera is the one you have with you. And since my phone is always with me, it provides opportunities to catch moments I wouldn't otherwise.

Because of this I'm considering a 7, 7 Plus, 8, or 8 Plus. I have no interest in the X.

The dual cameras are appealing, but when I had a 7 Plus prior, I only rarely used the portrait mode, and 2x zoom gave less than ideal results with the lack of OIS on the telephoto lens.

Are the 8 and 8 Plus significant enough in improvement to justify over the 7 or 7 Plus? I could see some of the new photo modes coming in handy, but can recreate them in photoshop as well.

If you were buying based on the camera today, which model would you go with?

2. MacDevil7334 macrumors 65816

MacDevil7334

I went through a similar process and decided on the regular 8 (see my thread here). At the end of the day, they’re all tiny sensor cameras with fixed apertures. The pictures iPhones produce are amazing for what they are but still pale in comparison to what you can achieve with a DSLR. The OIS on the X will certainly help. But, I don’t think it justifies the $300 price difference if the camera is your only consideration. That money is probably better spent on a lens for your DSLR if you’re really looking for the best possible pictures.

3. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Having a 7 Plus and my wife having a 8 Plus. I have access to both and have been comparing a lot.

I don’t think the 8 Plus is significant “enough” over the 7 Plus to justify in my opinion.

Filters aside just stock photos, the 8 improvements are minor as far as I’m concerned

4. swandy macrumors 6502

I had the 7 and "upgraded' to the 8. (My wife went from the 6Plus to the 8Plus.) The changes in the filters are nice and I really wish that the improvements in Photos that were brought to the Mac OS were also brought to iOS 11. But as far as the cameras, the improvements from the 7 to the 8 (only a played around a bit with the wife's 8+ to try out the portrait mode, which was pretty impressive for a phone) are very nice. Especially in low light where there is a noticeable difference in what I saw from my 7 to the 8. (And yes, I do also shoot with several digital cameras, so I can tell the fine differences.). Like was said - can these phones compete with a good DSLR, hardly. But I think that the P&S market is going to be plowed under by the various phones and what they can do.

5. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy