Buying decision help!?!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Popis1991, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Popis1991 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hey guys! I see there are a couple of threads about the imac in 2012, but i cant seem to find the info i need. So i want to buy the high end 27" imac with 2.7ghz i5 with 4Gb ram and 6970m 1gb. My main purpose of use for this mac will be schoolwork and editing. BUT i am also going to want to play games on it(through boot camp). Games like wow, star wars old republic, bf3 and so on. So my question is will the new imac be alot better on a gaming level? I understand it hard to say but i would just like some thoughts ;) is it worth the wait or should i just buy it now?

2. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

I would assume the graphics cards would be better on the new ones, so yes I would wait if you want to do some gaming

3. Popis1991 thread starter macrumors member

But is it worth the wait? people are saying that the new iMac will not come until the ivy or sandy :S bridge comes?!?! and that won't be until may? so is it worth it?

4. iMarvin, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011

iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

I thought you already had a 27" inch and was gonna swap it out for a 21.5", no?

Or weren't you completely honest with us when you were arguing in the BF3 thread? ;)

5. Popis1991 thread starter macrumors member

damn u have a good memory :p well it's like this i bought my 27" iMac at a store called "elgiganten", it located in sweden and so am i ;)
    They have a awesome policy where u can use anything u buy for 30 days then give it back if your not happy no questions asked!!! so i bought mine there and now i gave it back ;)( i did this to try it out, to see if it was worth it) I decided to go for the 27" after all so I'm not changing to the 21,5" but my question is should i go for the 27" iMac today or should i wait till they release new ones? i was really happy with the performance on my 27" iMac ( battlefield on high and skyrim on ultra) but I'm wondering if i should wait for the new iMac? is it going to be worth it? gaming wise?

6. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

The 2.7Ghz isn't the high end model, and it doesn't come with 6970m, it comes with 6770m. Get the 3.1Ghz i5, i got mine like a month ago. I didn't feel that there was going to be such a big difference in performance over the next generation, and definitely not worth the wait.

Jag köpte en MBP 15" på elgiganten, men lämnade tillbaks den för att jag inte tyckte att den höll måttet. Köpte senare min iMac på digitalinn i stockholm med 10% studentrabatt, så min iMac kostade bara 16000kr, ett kap! Eftersom du verkar vara lika gammal som jag så tycker jag att du borde göra detsamma. :)

Sorry for the swedish guys!

7. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Unbelievably, it seems he is correct, possibly. Look what I found at wikipedia-

"Many stores in the Elkjøp corporation have a 30 day full refund policy which allows consumers to try the product at home and still return it for any given reason,[3] often with the exception of, including but not limited to, mobile phones, software, internal hardware components and consumables, which need to be sealed. However, as returned products are restocked and resold, critics emphasize the risk of purchasing used products which are faulty, sold as new or products with storage media containing tracks of its previous owner. While this type of policy is often marketed as a form of consumer satisfaction warranty, several media events have been reported with consumers receiving faulty and/or used products without knowing from corporations employing the refund policy."

I wouldn't buy anything from a shop which lets people take its stock home for a month and then return it.

8. vsighi macrumors 6502

vsighi

Buy the iMac 27"...PC gaming is dead, no need for super DDR crap or 6 core i7...we all moved to xBox-360 or PS3:D

9. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

We? Gamepads? lol...

10. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

ANd even more interesting is the fact that Elgiganten ("Electronics Giant") a company which operates stores across Sweden, Denmark and the Faroe Islands selling white goods, consumer electronics, Personal Computers, communications products and related services is owned by the british company Dixons (who also own Currys, PC world, and manufactures advent brand PCs).

I had no idea Dixons owned so many businesses.

11. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Heard some stories here in Sweden that people bought cameras and hard drives only to find personal pics, movies and some adult rated content. :D

But if you buy apple computers there is no way that they could restore the packaging to its former glory. I only buy iPhone covers, video games and stuff from there because of that policy, but if you want to try something out, its great! :rolleyes:

12. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I am sure that if, like you, one only buys things that are originally sealed it is an amazing policy. I would love to buy stuff that has a no-quibble 30 day return period, but I wouldn't be too happy buying someone else's cast-off. I am unsurprised that dixons don't trust english people with a 30 day return policy. They would take things home, replace the HDDs with smaller units, do the same with the CPUs, and get up to all sorts of other dodgy activities. They are not to be trusted!

13. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Bestbuy has the same policy in the US, read about some one who bought a iMac from them and it seemed a little bit slow. Turns out it was the previous year iMac in the box. :p

14. Popis1991 thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wow everybody went off topic :p i think 1 person answerd my question but id like some more replies :p should i wait or not? :O

15. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Do you want a computer now? If so buy the best one you can afford now.

If you can wait, wait. I am not a patient one. I just bought 2 new 27" with the 6970M (1GB) and the i5.

I have no regrets and I am not worried about what is released next. I wanted a new computer now.

The graphics card in the current iMacs are plenty fast. They are supposedly going back to Nvidia with the next release. Who knows when that will be. I don't.

The next release will always be better. Life is to short to worry about that.

The games you mention will play VERY NICELY on the current models. I would get the best graphics card though.

Hell we played WoW for several years on our 2007 iMacs with the ATI 2600. And it was fine. The news ones eat our old ones' lunches.

16. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I agree with sand1969, if you want a new machine buy one. if you don't want/need one now then wait. but bear in mind that the next intel "tick" is just a die shrink. It won't be as revelatory as the "tock" to sandy.

17. Popis1991 thread starter macrumors member

What do u mean by that? I don't understand?

18. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Sorry. I should have explained myself more clearly. Intel uses what they call the "tick, tock" system of CPU development. A "tock" is a new CPU and a "tick" is a die-shrink (they make the actual tracks on the chip more narrow, which means they create less heat and use less power). So the Nehalem chips were a "tock", an entirely new architecture with 45 nm tracks. Then came the "tick", which were the Nehalem chips with 32nm tracks (called Westmere). Then we had the new micro architecture "tock" of Sandy Bridge (32nm), so the next new chips (Ivy Bridge) will be a "tick", just a die shrink down to 22nm.

So the next CPUs won't be such a massive improvement as Sandybridge was. My rule of thumb is it's worth waiting a bit for a "tock", but not so worth it for a "tick".

got it?

19. vsighi macrumors 6502

vsighi

You are right...the "Tick" it may be worth waiting for if you plan to get a Macbook Pro but not an iMac.:rolleyes:

20. Popis1991 thread starter macrumors member

Thats was a mighty good explaination ;) then i know! In sweden we have something called "mellandagsrea" which is that every store in Sweden have huge sales between christmas and new year and im hoping that atleast one store will lower their prices so i can buy the imac ;) if not then im buying after then new year ;)

21. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

They will not lower their price by much, i can tell you that. 500kr maximum. If they have some super price on iMac it's probably the previous generation. :)

22. Popis1991 thread starter macrumors member

hmm i think ur probably right but i won't have time to use it the next couple of days so why not wait and see ;)

23. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Sounds like a bonus to me! ;)

OP, just get the current iMac. If you wait for the next one you'll be waiting forever. This stuff gets upgraded all the time.