Buying first mac, should i buy from store or private party?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vitog123, Sep 24, 2009.

1. vitog123 macrumors 6502

Hi all..
    Im going to make the big switch, im going from PC to Mac. Ive been a pc user for damn near 20 years.
    I bought an iphone 2-3 weeks ago and love it and decided to try the mac book pro.

I guess my first question is should i buy from a store or a private seller? ive seen them used and "sealed in box" on classifieds here in california.
    Is there any danger in this? i could save about $500+ going this route.
    My thinking is, as long as there is a warranty and im able to add apple care to it and/or its sealed i should be fine right?

next question, these people selling them sealed in box.. how are they getting them so cheap so that they can resell them and make a profit?

and last
    im going to get a mac book pro
    ive always overpaid and overdone it with every pc purchase ive ever made getting things i just dont need.
    What are the noticeable performance differences between the 3 15" notebooks? I know thats a broad question.. Id just like to know what i wont be able to do w/ the 2.53 and what would make me want the 2.8 w/ the extra video card.
    I HATE computers that lag, i dont play games and i dont do any heavy video editing.

thanks for any advice!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Any of the MacBook Pro's will be fine. I am not really familiar with Craigslist and what not. I'd recommend trying something like Amazon or other websites. If it's too good to be true...chances are it's stolen.

3. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

4. vitog123 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

No problem. ;) Glad I could help.

6. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

check out clubmac.com, they have some dirt cheap prices after a $200 MIR.

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

8. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Congratulations on the switch and I would definitely recommend going to the store if it's possible. Obviously, if you go to the store you know there is no risk, any problems you have a place to go back to.

However, if you feel you would rather go through a private seller, then just be smart and remember that if it looks too good to be true, it is.

However, the refurb store is a nice midpoint between price (lower) and risk (none).

9. r1200mike macrumors newbie

I just got mine from

www.powermax.com very good to deal with. Very Professional too. Sent to me in Iraq as well. Mike

10. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

I'm in CA too. I ordered my MBP from macconnection in Ohio. Shipping was cheap, no tax, and they had a good rebate at the time. Perhaps this can be an option for you too.

11. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Craigslist is fine as long as you buy new.
    You could buy used but you never know where those have been or how much they were abused.
    But usually even with that you won't get jipped.

Craigslist is a lot better than people make it out to be,
    I bought my 17" uMBP brand new on Craigslist for 2,200.
    And that was before the price drop.
    (And it's not stolen.)
    or at least not tagged as stolen..

Anyway, I would definitely go through Craigslist or something like that.
    But that's just me, I'd rather get the laptop cheaper than pay for some extra assurance.

Just be smart about it and you'll be fine.