Buying iPad 1....still useful?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jetblk328i, Jul 23, 2011.

1. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Hey everybody,

I am thinking about buying an used iPad 1 for cheap as I want to use it to read some newspapers and magazines.

Before, I thought I was fine with a macbook pro and iphone but now I kind of want an iPad just to read some stuff and browse the web. I don't intend to play many games on it so I'm thinking a cheap iPad 1 should suffice?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

3. coorspate macrumors regular

coorspate

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The iPad 1 should do just fine at those tasks. It will also get iOS 5 in september.

4. Contiguous macrumors member

I just bought a refurb iPad 1 - didn't want to splash out for the 2 if we turned out to not be a tablet household. It's useful. Bit slow, but I'm using a 7 year old iMac, so it's not too bad, considering. I would only get a 2 if I wanted to get into some of the more intensive games. For reading and browsing the intertubes, it works great.

5. jetblk328i thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the replies...

Anyone know where I can get a good deal on one? I will be monioring the marketplace but if there are none on there, any good deals out?

Thanks!

6. LanEvo, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

LanEvo macrumors 6502

Craigslist. Got my 16GB for a buck fifty, plus another buck in almost perfect condition. buck = $100

7. Contiguous macrumors member

Refurbished from the online Apple store is your best bet...1 year warranty. Most of the Craigslist postings around here wanted more than Apple :rolleyes:.

8. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Refurbished wifi + 3G from AT&T is still probably the cheapest deal. I bought mine in April (sold my near year old wifi only model to a friend). There was one tiny blemish on the back, which most people will never see once they stick a cover on it. Otherwise, it's been perfect. At the time I bought it, it was about $150 cheaper than the Apple refurb of the same model--cheaper even than the wifi only version--and mine still had 9 months of the original warranty on it.

They don't have any of the 16 GB in stock, but it looks the 32 is still available: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...shed)+Black&q_sku=sku5150286#fbid=3xj1dZGvr1x

If you can find a screaming deal on one, and you're not a heavy graphics gamer, and you don't care about the cameras (dead weight to me, I don't video call and it's too big to use as an actual camera), the iPad 1 makes a lot more sense than the iPad 2. I have no regrets about skipping the 2, and will skip the next one as well if they don't finally get around to improving the resolution.

9. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Indeed.

I have an iPad 1 and while i wish it had a camera sometimes, i then realize that i probably wouldnt use the camera as much as i think i would. Thus, i'm quite happy with my iPad 1.

However, iPad 3 with retina display? Oh snap, if that happens this one's going on ebay ASAP!

10. LanEvo macrumors 6502

The only thing that sucks for me is I am having a very hard time trying to unload my iPad 16GB, wanting to sell for $3 bucks (buck = $100), but no ones biting...

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...see my sig, and I thought I wouldn't use the 3g much once I got my HTC evo but I still like the iPad 3g as it lasts so much longer than trying to use my phone for those tasks when outside of wifi coverage!

12. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

they have been going for less than 250 on cl in my area for weeks

13. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

You know, if you keep having to explain your terminology, then it's really not worth using. :rolleyes:

14. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

Yeah its going to support the latest OS why not?
    Also if you are in the US you can get them refurbished for $350 not a bad price.

15. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Where are you located?

16. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I'd recommend you get the iPad 2 simply because of the future upgrade of the iOS.

Apple might stop updating the iPad 1 next year and you might be end up using the iPad more than your MacBook Pro, so iPad 2 all the way I reckon ;)

So yeah, for now is nothing wrong with the iPad 1.

17. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

New Hampshire

18. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I've had my iPad 1 for about two months and I absolutely love it! If you're not looking to pay full retail price for one right now I'd highly suggest you buy an iPad 1. iOS 5 is just around the corner, which is set to make it better. Other than having to only run a new apps in the background instead of a full arsental due to RAM constraints, it's a great device. iOS's memory management helps out with that anyway, so you won't notice much lag if any at all. This will also put you in a good position to get the iPad 3/HD in the coming months hopefully with the improved display and cameras. While the iPad 2 is a great device, the iPad 1 is just as great for the price.

19. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I own an iPad 1, and awaiting the iPad 3 before upgrading, simply due to so much discusion going on about the "retina screen" tempts me to think about it being far superior to the iPad 2.

20. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I had the iPad 1 for about 8 months (sold it on CL for $350), it was kind of slow, and a few apps would crash now and then

I now have the iPad 2, its a lot faster and smoother

But if you're only reading email and book you should be fine with the iPad 1

21. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Couldn't disagree more. I do everything on my iPad original - web, email, games, Pages, Numbers, iBooks, remote desktop, etc. It works extremely well with no noticeable hiccups or problems.

22. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

That is precisely why I got the iPad I have. I was going to get one as a gift too, and only looked at the iPad 1. There's no reason for me to get an iPad 2. It's a little snappier, has cameras, and is a little thinner - but it's also retail price.

I went on Craigslist, and locally found an iPad 1 on-the-cheap. It's all about price for me, not features. I have to say though, the iPad 1 is plenty fast itself. I would rarely use the cameras, and I'd have no gain with the speedier iPad 2. I have patience. I can wait the extra second for stuff to load.

In short, the original iPad is perfect for what you'd like to do if you don't mind not having cameras. Plus, you'll save some cash.

23. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Yup. I wasn't interested in the cameras, and the extra premium for the extra speed just wasn't worth it to me. It was for some people, and that's within their right.

24. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Exactly. :) I have to add too, that I personally like the design of the first iPad compared to the iPad 2. I like the added thickness compared to the 2. I don't know, it's just preference.

While I admire the SmartCovers too, the original iPad's Apple case actually covered the back - the surface that rubs against everything the iPad is set down on. I don't want to cover the screen as much as I want to cover the back - but that's a discussion for another day.