Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WU27f1xcCs

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2022
I have a 2017 iPad Pro 12.9”. I am not planning to buy a new Pro, I am in the UK and the price is high.

I am randomly in India for a couple of days. Is it worth buying one whilst I am here, I have not done something like this before. It seems cheaper, but I assume I am not aware of the differences in product or export rules?

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I have a 2017 iPad Pro 12.9”. I am not planning to buy a new Pro, I am in the UK and the price is high.

I am randomly in India for a couple of days. Is it worth buying one whilst I am here, I have not done something like this before. It seems cheaper, but I assume I am not aware of the differences in product or export rules?
Are you buying WiFi or cellular? If the later then check the specs to see if it’s compatible with UK carriers. Taking it out of the country shouldn’t be an issue but be prepared to pay import duty when you arrive in the UK.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Then the only thing you need to factor is the import tax ‘if’ you declare it on arrival

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Be aware that all the Apple companies are technically different legal entities and Apple UK will not be obliged to help you with any warranty issues for a device purchased from Apple India.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
Be aware that all the Apple companies are technically different legal entities and Apple UK will not be obliged to help you with any warranty issues for a device purchased from Apple India.
That’s not correct whilst the companies are different entities, warranty and AppleCare applies internationally when travelling, the only difference being that you pay any charges at the rates applicable in the country that you claim in.

I have done this numerous times either in the UK or UAE with a device purchased in the opposite country.

The other issue that some people face is if a replacement is required you will get a replacement of the spec of that country but that shouldn’t be an issue in this scenario.

My advice to the OP if considering AppleCare + and your iCloud account is in the UK is to buy it from the device and don’t buy in the store. (You also get the option of paying monthly if you do it this way)

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I have had warranty work done ‘as goodwill’ but the Apple store made it clear that it wasn’t obliged to help.

i would at least get an official answer before making such a high price purchase.

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
I have had warranty work done ‘as goodwill’ but the Apple store made it clear that it wasn’t obliged to help.

i would at least get an official answer before making such a high price purchase.
It’s very clear in the terms of Apple care and the Apple FAQ’s online (thats official enough). So whoever told you it was goodwill is incorrect. The part that is often confused is that the terms of warranty/applecare where the policy was purchased apply in the country where you have the repair done, this works both ways as the coverage for some markets is far more comprehensive than others.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.