Buying iPad2 on vacation away from computer

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gauchogolfer, Mar 8, 2011.

1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Hi all,
    I'm going to be on travel starting next Saturday for a week, hoping to buy an iPad2 on release day before I leave. If not, I'm thinking of shopping in DC while I'm in the area. Would I actually be able to use my iPad if I'm away from my computer, or will I just be staring at it in the box pining for my week to be over so I can get home?

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I believe one can ask the Genius to activate it since you are away from home.

3. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

This. And the person that sells it to you can do it as well. It simply needs to be connected to any of the store computers for about 20 seconds.

4. M87 macrumors 65816

All you have to do is plug it into any computer running iTunes. It takes a second at most. Apple really needs to get rid of that BS though, it's pointless and only causes problems.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No worries. If you buy @ the Apple Store they will ask you if you need set up assistance when you buy it.

6. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

7. gauchogolfer thread starter macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Thanks all.
    Sounds like I'm covered either way, then.

I know I wouldn't have any of my music or photos on it, but how about iBooks? I'm assuming those don't download OTA, but need to be synced from iTunes at home as well. I know that they keep track of where in the book I am (so if I read some on the iPhone and some on iPad it stays linked) but I assume they need to be loaded from my home computer iTunes account.

Cheers.

8. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Yep ibooks you will have to wait till you get home.

amazon books will go OTA not sure about being in the same place you last opened though

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You can buy iBooks direct from the iPad. You don't need to buy them from your computer.

If you want to "test" your iPad out w/ your own music and photos set up a dropbox acct before you leave. Put some music, photos in. When you get your iPad d/l the DropBox app. You can then xfer the files from the Drop Box app to the iTunes or iPhoto direct from your iPad. You can do this with other files too if you have apps compatible w/ the respective file format. (if you have mobileme you can do the same thing using iDisk).

10. gauchogolfer thread starter macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Good thinking on MobileMe. I'll be sure to do that.
    Also, if I have previously purchased iBooks can I redownload them from the iPad for free?

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Apps can be re-downloaded for free so if you anticipate wanting an iPad app buy it before you leave.

12. fishcube macrumors 6502

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, but they would probably charge you some BS geek Squad service for $99

14. deadwalrus macrumors regular

It is BS, but it's not pointless: how do you think Apple has collected 300 million credit card numbers?

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yup. When you go to iBooks store, there's a button labeled something like "purchased" at the bottom. Click it, and it shows all the books you have purchased through iBooks store. Download them and keep reading! :)

16. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

wow that is great guess i should read more cause never saw that :eek:

17. gauchogolfer thread starter macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Thanks again everyone. The only question now is what's the best place to go shopping near the Rosslyn metro station....