Buying iPhone 6 outright -- am I crazy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by InsideTJ, Sep 8, 2014.

1. InsideTJ macrumors regular

I've bought subsidized iPhones since the 3 came out. Due to the backorders for the 5 two years ago, my two years is not up until maybe mid-october or early november.

I'm on ATT with the unlimited data plan.

I'm seriously considering just buying the 6 outright for $800 or whatever. I'd pay $300+ for the upgrade fee, but I think I'd get a $20/mo discount for not having a subsidized phone.

I like the idea of having carrier flexibility, but $800 is a lot for a phone, but I can afford it. Do many people actually buy the device outright, unlocked?

2. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

If money isn't a problem, do what you want to do, and good luck! My girlfriend buys her iPhones outright all the time.

3. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

I'm buying mine outright. This will be my first time. And yeah, it seems expensive, real expensive, but the phone costs the same (for the most part) whether you pay for it up front, subsidize it, or use NEXT (0% financing).

I'm at a point where I don't borrow money for anything so I'd rather just pay up front than owe on it, even if it is interest free.

4. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

No, you're not. I've bought every iPhone outright every year.

5. InsideTJ thread starter macrumors regular

I looked at next, but the math does not make sense to me. Looks like you're paying twice (in your subsidized rate AND in next payments).

And yes, you pay now or pay later.

I just want the freedom of owning my device and not being tied to a carrier/contract period.

Thanks for all the input.

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I will. I'm going for the iPhone 6 5.5" 128GB. Based on leaked rumored pricing, that's fetching for $1049.

iPhone Air 749, 849, 949
    iPhone Pro 849, 949, 1049

7. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

Nope, not crazy. Every other year I end up buying it outright. As long as your financial situation allows for it, I say go for it. Last year I bought my 5S outright as I was still under contract for my 5. This year, however, I'll be able to subsidize the cost. I promise you, though, if I was under contract, I would still be getting a 6, subsidy or not.

8. Xerotech macrumors 6502

You can always upgrade to the latest, next greatest device and eBay that one. You'll eat a little cost, but it'll be worthwhile getting that iPhone early. ;)

9. tbayrgs, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

You can save $15/mo on an individual Mobile Share plan but they'll make you lose the unlimited data. Over the course of two years you'd save $360 on your monthly bill but that wouldn't offset the difference in price you'd pay at full retail vs. the 2 contract upgrade price (assuming pricing was the same as previous iPhones). Specifically a 16 GB iPhone would cost $650 at full retail vs. $199 on 2 year contract upgrade. Also, you'd lose your unlimited data.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also a fan of avoiding contracts (all our devices on our Family Mobile Share are off-contract) but if you have no plans of leaving AT&T (and lets be honest, in the US having an unlocked phone offers few advantages because of the carrier incompatibility), you'll appear to save money staying in contract and get to keep your unlimited data.

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

11. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

On a pre-order list in India the model you've listed here sells for the equivalent $1549 in US Dollars.

12. cmhsam macrumors 6502

Purchase outright. Subsidized pricing is a joke

13. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

That's crazy. I'd rather get a new MBA for that price. If that's the case, I'll downgrade to a 64GB or 32GB. In fact, that's really what I should do, I have a 4S 32GB and haven't used all my storage. Thanks for that information.

14. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

You pay one way or the other. Up front or installments. Shame 0% APR Financing by Apple ends 9th September.

15. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You need to switch to a different plan with lower monthly rates. If it does not make sense for you to switch, then the subsidized rate may well make more sense.

As to having the "freedom", how much are you willing to pay and does it matter at all? Are you really planning to switch carriers anytime soon?

16. MalR macrumors newbie

Not for me.

17. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I buy mine outright. The math is simple.

Cost of iPhone + monthly payments x 24.
    Or subsidised
    Cost of iPhone + higher monthly payments x 24.

If you look at the cost you are just paying for the iPhone monthly, e.g. no subsidising at all. Plus you have the freedom to move and upgrade when you want. Don;t forget to factor in the slightly higher resale cost of your old unlocked iPhone.

18. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

How does the TMobile program work?

I buy the iPhone 6 with monthly payments and then say the iPhone 6s comes out next year... do I just trade in my iPhone 6 (assuming it's in good condition) and get a 6s just like that? Even swap? Rinse and repeat...

Or is there more to it than that?

19. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Don't understand....

Subsidized $200 upfront, not $649.00 (iPhone 5S pricing)
    Never going to move from Verizon.
    I'll keep it for the entire 2 years since I'm on the "S" model version updates.
    I will pay the same amount monthly regardless if outright or subsidized. 2 Gb data/450 minutes talk/unlimited text = $60.00 monthly

How is that a joke ?

20. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Joke? Depends on what you are paying each month for you regular service. A recent change on our family plan off the subsidized is saving $1,000 to $1,500 a year.

21. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Oh, we have a bad ass over here.

22. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I was told that the $20 subsidy didn't apply to the unlimited data customers.

23. InsideTJ thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. This crap is just too complex, too much smoke and mirrors.

I average under 2GB/mo, and I use under 200 voice minutes, but the alternatives to my $90/mo (1500 min, unlimited, text) don't look that much cheaper.

24. ceaguila macrumors member

I'm thinking of doing the same.

I still have a year left before I can upgrade (upgraded to 5S last year). Can I buy the phone for the full price and then just transfer my number?

Next plan doesn't really make sense to me either.

25. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i bought my 5 outright, and will be buying the 6 outright as well. Its not that bad as long as you sell your old phone. the difference usually ends up being a bit more than a 2-year contract upgrade.