Buying iPhone, canceling data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by airdonut41, Mar 13, 2009.

1. airdonut41 macrumors newbie

Alright guys, I've got a plan that I think could work to get me a data-free iPhone. I'm planning to use my upgrade to get an iPhone, and then when I get it to swap my sim to another phone. I'll call AT&T and cancel the data plan (they already said I could do this and keep the phone). Then I'll unlock the iPhone and use it as my regular line.

Anybody foresee any issues?

Thanks

2. diemos macrumors 6502

I don't know if you'll be able to do that, if there would be a way, you'd know. Plus why do you want ot cancel data plan, u don't use SMS, internet?

3. airdonut41 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't need the internet; I'll be at school in the fall where everything is on WiFi anyway. And as far as SMS, I have that on my plan as is so I'd probably just buy standard unlimited texting rather than iPhone unlimited. And as far as why it hasn't been done, that's what I'm trying to figure out. I don't know why it wouldn't work.

4. aok1975 macrumors 6502

I would think you would have to have data plan for the first month since they add it on activation and the bill is prorated. After that you can do what you said and have it removed. I also use the phone without a data plan, however when my next billing cycle is comming up I switch back to the regular phone until the new bill is generated.

5. airdonut41 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I unlocked the iPhone would I still have to worry about switching the sim back to my old phone near the end of the billing cycle? And so you're saying I could switch get rid of the data plan right away and just have to pay for it for the first month?

6. aok1975 macrumors 6502

I'm not 100%, but since they add the data plan when you sign up, Im assuming that you can't cancel it mid month. You don't have to switch back and forth, I do it because it will show what phone you are using on your account on ATTs website, I want mine to show the regular phone when my bill is generated.

7. ThugZilla macrumors regular

Thats what I did because I'm on Tmobile, and it worked perfectly. Just say you gave your iPhone to a friend, and you would like to cancel the data plan.

8. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=666943

try searching next time and you may find threads very relevant to your question. this particular one posted the other day.

at&t does not care whether you bought your iphone officially from them, or from ebay. all that matters to them is you are using an iphone on their network, and their official policy is that all iphones on their network must have the required data plan. when they do a sweep they will see you are using an iphone and they will check to see if you have the data plan, and i wouldnt expect sweeps to be at the end of the billing cycle either.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can't cancel data on an iPhone 3G. End of story.

You can cancel on an iPhone 2G.

10. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

He can cancel his line and service if he unlocks it and uses it on another carrier like T-Mobile.

11. aok1975 macrumors 6502

being on tmobile has no relevance to this thread.

12. airdonut41 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks guys, I think I'm going to do it. I'll see how it turns out. When they sweep, can they tell the iPhone is an iPhone when it's unlocked? And even so then I guess I could sell it on eBay for a significant profit or keep it as a glorified touch. As long as I don't get stuck having to pay the $720 over 2 years for a data plan I'm good.

13. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

yes they can tell its an iphone even if its unlocked.

14. airdonut41 thread starter macrumors newbie

It doesn't seem like anyone's been caught using an unlocked iphone and forced to pay for the service from what I can see. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think the risk is well worth the reward.

15. aok1975 macrumors 6502

People have been caught before. I do t see it as a risk, if you get they adds the plan that's all. Every months save would have been well worth it.

16. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Currently it will work just fine. Just make sure you have data blocked on your line to prevent any accidential data usage. Just call Customer Care and have them block all data, it is called WIX Block in AT&T speak. Yes you will still be able to use WiFi and SMS Messaging if you have a txt package.

Dave

17. airdonut41 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I was hoping for Dave. I figured if they caught me multiple times I'd pay a couple months worth of data and sell the phone on eBay and get a Nokia E71 or something. I'm not exactly sure what the post before that was trying to say but I think I get the idea. Thanks guys, this forum has been helpful.

18. airdonut41 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately my mom still isn't convinced and that's kind of important considering the account is in her name. If they catch you using the iPhone without a data plan and you've been doing it for months, they couldn't back-charge you for data for the past few months could they? I wouldn't think so, just making sure.

19. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

They can and will.

20. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

You may (or better you _mom_) really should read the Terms of Agreement that you (or is it your mom) will sign when you (or is it your mom) buys the 3g iphone.

Yes then can.

You have so much to learn if this is the measure of your actions. ATT gives you (or mom) the terms of the phone when you sign up. Be grown up and either agree or don't agree to it. Just like an adult. (like your mom.)

21. airdonut41 thread starter macrumors newbie

How could they prove that you've used the iPhone in past months?

22. airdonut41 thread starter macrumors newbie

Data Plans: An eligible data plan for iPhone is required. This data plan covers data usage in the U.S. and does not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using iPhone without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

This says to me that if they catch you, they will start charging you. Not back-charging.

23. aok1975 macrumors 6502

They cant and they wont. They cant charge for something you didnt use, they will just add data to your next bill.

24. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Ask your mom if this is the type of morality she taught you... I am betting it is not.
    :rolleyes:

Hmm... What else can we do as long as "they don't catch us"?

Hmm... the mind boggles.

25. aok1975 macrumors 6502

what does morality have to do with this. He doesnt need the data plan. Not everyone needs it. Why should he be forced to pay 30 for something he wont use.