Buying Mac Mini 2009 but will wait until June (Snow Leopard)

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by belltree, Mar 29, 2009.

  1. belltree macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location:
    Tokyo, Japan
    #1
    Like many of you, I am wanting to buy the new Mac Mini (feverishly so!), and finally make the jump from Windows. However, with the WWDC coming in June and murmurs that Snow Leopard may well be released (who knows) then, I am taking the hard route and holding off my purchase until then. I don't want to purchase it now and have to fork out another ~$100 for a new operating system within two months of course.

    Is anyone else holding out like me? It is hard but hey, better to have that extra C-note in my pocket (put it towards the 4GB ram upgrade). ;)

    *note - if SL is not released in June..I will, of course, cave and pony up for the Mini then. A man has his limits....heh.
     
  2. azdunerat macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2009
    #2
    Or you could buy it now, love it and use the hell out of it. The when SL comes out you could wait and watch everyone else be the beta testers and find all the little flaws. Let apple fix them for a couple of months and then around december reward yourself with the latest edition of SL with all the early bug fixes.
     
  3. evillageprowler macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2007
    Location:
    NJ, USA
    #3
    I didn't wait for SL because we have enough Macs in our family that I'd have to buy a 5-machine family pack for $199 for our existing machines anyway. Upgrading the Mini wouldn't add to my cost.

    EVP
     
  4. Prabz26 macrumors regular

    Prabz26

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #4
    well this is what i was wondering.....

    im waiting out on Snow Leopard
    and then getting my iMac
    cuz in June my bday and Snow Leopard plus
    leaving my life long windows user for a newly Mac Experience...:D

    but my friend (mac user) tells me to juss get it and
    screw Snow Leopard for now??
     
  5. belltree thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location:
    Tokyo, Japan
    #5
    This is what several of my Mac using friends are telling me....but hey, why should I flush ~$100 down the toilet for 2 months of OS use?
     
  6. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

    aprofetto

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2008
    Location:
    Hamilton, Ontario
    #6
    You're strong...

    I would've caved for sure by now! :rolleyes:
     
  7. Prabz26 macrumors regular

    Prabz26

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #7
    .exactly what im thinking
    but my mac friends are saying bugs and things will occur
    will occur but i mean im not made of money
    i would rather have a few bugs that will be solved in due time
    then pay $100

    unless anyone wants to donate to my casue:p
     
  8. genmic macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2009
    #8
    But June is so far away... think of how much you fun you and your Mini are missing out on...

    I'm sorry I'm not helping. I guess I'm just jealous of your self control. I'm a buy-it-now kind of person.
     
  9. Prabz26 macrumors regular

    Prabz26

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #9
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

    trust me its a grueling
    feeling
    i want it asap
    soon as SL is released
    my mouse will be on Buy Now
    but suspense is killing
    its why i joined dis forum to pass time about mac thoughts

    sounds lame but ive thought of all the programs and things imma do to kill time lol
     
  10. minik macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    Location:
    Bellevue, WA
    #10
    Even Snow Leopard is out, it should take weeks for Apple to pre-load it on its' current systems or include drop-in DVDs.
     
  11. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

    jmpage2

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    #11
    It is extremely optimistic to believe that SL will be out in 2 months time. The current expectation is that they will announce it at the June conference and it will be out around Aug/Sept.
     
  12. Prabz26 macrumors regular

    Prabz26

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #12
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

    what? true say

    shoot well im waitin till WWDC if its released not in june den
    im buying anyways u cant expect me too wait dat long


    but that would blow....
    to c my waiting wwas for notin...
     
  13. Plutonius macrumors 603

    Plutonius

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2003
    Location:
    New Hampshire
    #13
    Snow Leopard will be released early August (2 months after WWDC).
     
  14. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

    jmpage2

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    #14
    I realized you posted this wirelessly from your iPod, but would it hurt you to actually type complete and cognizent sentences? And people wonder why the youngest generation can't get jobs.
     
  15. bchreng macrumors 65816

    bchreng

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2005
    #15
    I'm in the same boat and may just give in this week. I figure I'll buy a Mac Mini now, get a memory and hard drive upgrade later on and then finally SL towards the end of the year if not early next year.

    My university's bookstore informed me that they don't carry Mac Minis and that they have to be ordered. I hate having to wait for shipping though. Does anyone know if the brick-and-mortar Apple stores provide student discounts? If so, then I'm definitely in. I'll call my local Apple store tomorrow if no one here knows for sure and I'll post again with my findings.
     
  16. Shownarou macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    Location:
    Newton, IA
    #16
    They definitely do! Just bring in your student ID and use your .edu email address when you purchase. :D
     
  17. ADent macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2007
    #17
    I did this with Leopard and I thought it went well. My mini came with Tiger installed and Leopard update disk via mail for $10.36.

    The Leopard Upgrade was a full install of Leopard for any Mac and it only required Tiger to be installed somewhere (on an FW drive when I did the clean install).

    Leopard had some serious bugs in my use, but by 10.5.3 they were fixed and I haven't booted Tiger in a long time.

    -

    My eMac came with 10.2.8 and the 10.3 installed was an upgrade disk and would not do a full/clean install. Bummer doing a full install there.
     
  18. Prabz26 macrumors regular

    Prabz26

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #18
    I apologize..lol
    I accidentally pressed post before I was done a much needed spell and grammar check. Plus I type too fast on the iPod and get carried away and end up with many mistakes :(
     
  19. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

    Airforcekid

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2008
    Location:
    United States of America
    #19
    Good idea if you can wait but if you need it buy it.
     
  20. jnc macrumors 68020

    jnc

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2007
    Location:
    Nunya, Business TX
    #20
    Seriously, it's going to be the same machine you're buying in June (more like July/August while they focus on 3.0) - isn't three months of use worth $100 to you?

    While you wait, I'm using mine - and it's amazing :p
     
  21. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    Location:
    Near London, UK.
    #21
    ..... plus THE time for any books you might want to buy to be updated. I am in the same situation but decided I couldn't wait plus I can get well tested books and tutorial websites now, plus I'll have my Mac NOW and not be dependent on a slipping release schedule, AND I'll let some other bunch of muppets endure the needless pain of being an early user :D
    Its bad enough learning a new OS, worse when the stuff that doesnt work is not your own idiocy but Apple's :eek:

    I'll buy it when the first patches have come and gone and people have stopped b*tch*ing about it, probably October/November at a guess :cool:
     
  22. -SD- macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2009
    Location:
    Peterborough, UK
    #22
    I've ordered my Mac Pro now, I'm not waiting any longer just for SL. I'd rather wait until the 10.6.1 update gets released after a month or two and fixes any problems/bugs that most likely will arise.

    :apple:
     
  23. reebzor macrumors 6502a

    reebzor

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #23
    Nothing says you NEED to buy snow leopard the day it comes out. We don't even know if it will be out in june. Anyway, if you want to save money, find 4 other mac users and split a family pack. It will only cost you $40 then.
     
  24. neil1980 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2008
    #24
    I waited a good 2+ months for my macbook (unibody) and it was a killer waiting that long... tbh if it wasn't for the case overhaul etc I would have just bought one when I first wanted one.

    If it was me personally seeing as its just the OS that's changing and not the mini I'd be buying now and getting SL a couple of months afterwards after some reviews and the bugs have ironed out.

    Of course if Apple end up showing a video of how cool SL is I may end up purchasing on day 1 :eek: but if it is all background stuff then it can wait till the bugs are sorted.
     
  25. Prabz26 macrumors regular

    Prabz26

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2009
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #25
    True say
    but I'll get my iMac
    as soon as I have the cash
    looking at sometime in May...:D

    It does seem like it will be out in August and there will be
    bugs and since it will be my first Mac
    some little bugs from the new OS might ruin my initial Mac experience

    so ill juss get it later when it is primarily bug free...
     

Share This Page