Buying Macs in Europe!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DirkBreeuwer, Jun 7, 2009.

1. DirkBreeuwer macrumors member

Hello Everyone! I just moved to the Netherlands one month ago. Great country BTW. I went to the Apple store to realize the huge rip off Macs are in Europe! Why are they like 25% more expensive here? The Macbook Pro 2.4GHz costs 1999$ in USA, but it costs 2513.34$ here in The Netherlands! That is 500$ more expensive (or 25%)! I think it is even more cheap to fly to USA, buy 3 Macbooks, sell 2 of them here in the Netherlands, and stay with the third one!

Does anyone know of a place to buy them cheaper here in NL? Maybe like Macmall or Clubmac.

Also, I am selling my MBP at the end of the Year (probably December), do you recommend to buy Applecare? Will it increase the selling price? Or will it just remain the same? My one year guarantee expires this November.

2. cube macrumors G5

The minimum VAT allowed by the EU is 15%.

And companies also typically mark-up their products in Europe.

3. cube macrumors G5

Also, prices in Europe are usually advertised including VAT, while in USA they don't show the sales tax.

In the EU, when a company exports less than a certain amount to another specific EU country, they are allowed to charge the local VAT instead of the destination VAT, so it might be worth it to look at the VAT table and shop around:

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custom...tion/vat/how_vat_works/rates/vat_rates_en.pdf

4. silly sire macrumors newbie

Hi Dirk,

first of all, glad to hear you like your stay in the Netherlands so far..

Yes Apple products are indeed a lot more expensive then in the USA.

If you happen to be a student or have any childeren that are in higher education at the moment you should check out http://www.surfspot.nl
    With your student details you can log in and will be transfered to the Apple store. Depending on the deal your institution made you'll get a 8 to 12% discount..

Hope that helps..

5. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

If you purchase one from the US you will probably be charged import tax and duty handling fees. This can be quite expensive.

As the pound is weak against the Euro perhaps getting one from the UK may be an option. Then paying for it with a Dutch credit/debit card to take advantage of the exchange rate.

6. silly sire macrumors newbie

Indeed an option, loads of people buying from certain onlineshops in the UK without any problems...

7. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

And the good thing is that you don't have to pay any duty as its within the EU. The only cost is the delivery.

8. cube macrumors G5

But you're paying VAT according to the summary presented above.

9. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Yes. There is no getting away from that in Europe if you live there. VAT in the UK used to be 17.5% and was reduced to 15%.

10. cube macrumors G5

Yes, but from Spain you will be paying Spanish VAT unless it's a shop that can and does take advantage of the possibility of charging local VAT.

11. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Yes, you pay the VAT (or IVA as its called in Spain) applicable to the country where you purchased the item. As you stated it usually around 15% in most EU countries.

12. cube macrumors G5

No.

- 15% is the MINIMUM standard rate. Usually is quite higher than that.

- If you go in person to store, you will pay the local rate. But if you do mail order, you will only pay the store country rate if the shop does not export more than the limit specified for your country AND they choose to apply this rate instead of the destination country rate.

13. DirkBreeuwer thread starter macrumors member

Impuesto al Valor Agregado (IVA) :)

Ok thanks for the explanation, now I dont feel so angry at Apple. heh ! :) What I might do I buy one the next time I am in USA, because when you go through the airport with only one computer, they wont charge you any taxes.

About my other question, does buying AppleCare increase the selling price? Or people don't care if it has or doesn't have Applecare.

14. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Yes that would work out to be the cheapest route. I have known quite a few people do that. Not sure what they did with the box though.

15. silly sire macrumors newbie

If you dont get picked out by Dutch customs at Schiphol airport that is..

If they catch you you will end up paying the import taxes and a fine :(

16. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

That will scare him off. :D

I suppose if all you have on you is the laptop and the charger it would be difficult for them to know that its a new laptop that you just purchased.

17. DirkBreeuwer thread starter macrumors member

I just folded my box, and put it in the middle of all my clothes. All the other cables I put them in my laptop bag, and I had no problems.

Haha yes, indeed.

18. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

19. silly sire macrumors newbie

Ghehe

But I'm afraid these customs guys are not as stupid as they look :)

They have good knowledge of recent products. If you can not produce a receipt (stating place and date of purchase) for an expensive item such as a laptop you have a problem...

I would recommend to send the box home by post. Carrying the box with you is the biggest give away that you just purchased the item...

Also make sure you actually have something on the laptop (documents, pictures etc) because that is something they will look for for sure.

20. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

As for your Applecare question, the problem is deciding if the selling price will increase more than the price of buying Applecare. Its unlikely to increase the price by that much. However, not having Applecare might potentially put off some buyers completely, especially cause it would be too late for them to buy it themselves.

21. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Change the system date to sometime in the past and create loads of files and then change it back to the current date. Good idea about posting the box. I would never carry it with me.

22. silly sire macrumors newbie

Let's say I have a bit of experience with bringing clothing, loads of sneakers and electronica from the States to the Netherlands. One of my best friends is working at Schiphol airport customs by the way, always nice to have some inside info ;)

23. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

As well as the VAT issue you need to consider that goods and services don't tend to be priced on the exchange rate. That fluctuates. They are based on the region's economy and what price consumers will pay.

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

It is rediculous the taxes and prices in Europe. My friend from Bosnia was showing me what macs cost in his country. OMG like $3500 for a base level iMac!

25. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

Currently prices in the UK, including VAT is about the same as the price in the US, when calculated in Euros. And for the UK, there is no risk of getting caught and paying VAT, import duties + fines.