Buying MBP in 2 hours Please help me with questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by exiag335, Jan 9, 2009.

1. exiag335 macrumors member

Hello

Will buy a MBP in 2 hours.

Is there a big difference in GPU performance for games and other things with the 256 9600m or the 512 9600m?

Is there a big difference in performance with 5400rpm drive vs a 7200rpm drive?

Help please

2. detz macrumors 65816

Since you need quick answers.

1.) No.
    2.) Maybe.

3. exiag335 thread starter macrumors member

So I will not be hurting myself by not buying the one with a 512 GPU?
    Why do you say maybe?

I still have 2 hours so if anyone can explain that will be good. Thanks

Help

4. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

What do you plan on doing? If youre running Creative Suite, Aperture, etc I would dish out the extra $ and get the 2.53GHz MBP.

5. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

The answers to both questions are maybe, because it really depends on what you will be doing with your machine. For example, if you are using to prop up the gap under your dining table, I think either version is good enough.

6. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

I laughed :cool:

7. exiag335 thread starter macrumors member

Good one, :D

I will be using it for graphic design, 3d design, music production. I know a desk top is better but many people feel that a new one is coming out soon and I don't want to buy something and have it outdated that quickly. Also I don't like the choice of GPU's for the desk top.

So which MBP is better? Also can I get other good monitors besides Apples new LED one or should I eat the bitter and spend 800 dollars on a new monitor too?

Help

8. exiag335 thread starter macrumors member

9. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

Go for the 2.53GHz MBP. I'd get the 24" LED display. It's great, matches the MBP and you know it works well with the MBP!

10. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

It sounds like you have pretty high demand. To be honest, I'm not one to answer anything technical, but my opinion is this:

The differences are negligible. It's obvious which one is 'better', but the question is if any performance increase is worth it for the price, and that is going to depend on you. Some people want every last drop of performance. Are you that type of person? I would not concern myself with 'getting out dated'. You are already outdated the moment you buy. The only consolation is that the mbp is reasonably early in it's life cycle so an update won't likely be due out in the next few months. Of course, you never know, Apple could start releasing versions with more option, especially with the 17" release with the matte screen.

11. exiag335 thread starter macrumors member

Oh sorry I was referring to the Mac Pro desk top as the one people are saying that will be update any day now.
    I am not worried about the MBP

But if I do buy it, the store where I am buying it from doesn't have the ones with iLife 09 installed on it. Should I wait until they receive the ones with iLife 09 or maybe buy it from a different store?

12. sesnir macrumors 6502

You probably bought it by now...

Don't worry about iLife 09... you'll get it for $10 since you're buying your mac after Jan 6th. While your Mac might come with the previous version on it, it's no big deal.

13. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

It is a $10 update, not a free download.

14. exiag335 thread starter macrumors member

Havent bought it yet, running late today.

So I can download iLife 09 for free?
    How?

15. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

16. exiag335 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the link.

Also does anyone think that Apple has used up all of the REV A MBP from this past Oct release?

Also how often does Apple update its line of MBP?

17. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

18. exiag335 thread starter macrumors member

No interest in them. We have them at work and they are good but for what I want to do I plan to have a desktop and a MBP for portability. I am buying the MBP now since everyone seems to think that a update for the desk top Mac Pro is coming any day now.

19. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

What ever you do...

DON'T go to the apple store,drop your pants, stick the laptop inbetween your legs and shout "I'm the king of the world"

I'm pretty sure that will void your warranty

20. exiag335 thread starter macrumors member

Speaking of voiding warranties, if I change the harddrive to a 7200 one after I buy it, will it void my warranty?

21. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I would get the 2.53 model and then either bump the hard drive up to the 7200rpm model or buy one of he fancy new 500gb 7200rpm models from Seagate. You will notice the difference with the faster drive, especially if your files are big.

22. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

No, but if you are going to drop this much cash on a purchase, perhaps you should do the research first. All of these questions have been answered on the forum.

Due Diligence > *

23. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

I was just referring to wanting to keep 'up to date' with laptop machines. There's no staying ahead, so just get what you need now. If the little differences really matter, that's for you to decide.

And no, changing hard drive doesn't void warranty. If you damage something while you're in there, that is not covered.

24. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I am always surprised by the supposed number of music producers, filmmakers, and pro photographers that visit this site, yet know so little about the equipment they need. :rolleyes:

25. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Keke. I'm always surprised by the number of threads on photo sites, "I just purchased a $1500 DSLR and want to shoot weddings. Good lenses????"