Buying MBP this summer, stupid?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by allR, May 15, 2011.

1. allR macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm really looking to get a new MBP 15" 2.2 this summer, with (hopefully) the B2S promo. I saw rumors about the upcoming MBP in late 2011 or early 2012, but with the iPod touch promo, and since I start Uni at the end of summer, getting the current model this summer would be perfect.

My question is, do you think I make a mistake by doing so? To all who bought the current february version, how do you like it?

2. ' r i S e n macrumors regular

It's not stupid, really. You would still have to wait a few more months for the next models (assuming about a one year gap between models), so unless you are okay with that waiting period then I would say go ahead and buy as soon as you have the money for it and everything ready to go.

Stupid, however, would be buying a model in December like I did. I'm happy with the purchase, though. I would go ahead with your plan.

3. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Buy it now, they're great machines and the benchmarks are off the chart -- some of them beating the new iMacs. As people around here seem to enjoy saying, ad nauseum: there's always something better around the corner, blah, blah, blah.

5. iLucas macrumors 6502

You will start Uni before the release of the new ones so buy now.
    When the newer ones are released, the iPod touch deal may not be available since that is a back to school thing.

6. Macalicious2011 macrumors member

Intel will release their new Ivy Bridge processors at the end of the year, so I reckon we'll see them in Macs around February. But there's no point in waiting.

7. CXsjr macrumors regular

CXsjr

If you are stupid, then I am too .... I pulled the trigger today on a 17" i7 and it's blazing. Knocking spots off the 2.53GHz C2D it replaced.

Seriously, as has been said here many times before, if you keep waiting for the next model, you could wait forever! With many things, TV's, computers. phones, cars (to a lesser extent), you'll only ever have the current model for a few months before it's superseded. But as the current model is as good as it is, why worry?

Buy it!!

8. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Buy one today, the extra time you get with the system is IMO worth the few extra bucks. Also, don't bank on anything with Apple that is not currently happening as they are unpredictable.

The current MBP has upped the ante, largely due to its CPU, which has changed the game of processing.

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think you can buy with confidence now for all the reasons mentioned above. I'll add that a redesign is coming--but rumor is the new design may actually remove hardware features like the optical drive -- and possibly the aluminum case.

10. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

No matter what -- unless you have lot of money -- you will regret it.

Just buy it. I regret it and I wish I still have $2000 on something else to spend on but it's the best laptop you can buy right now.

11. allR thread starter macrumors newbie

Good, thanks all for your input :) Anyway, this version must be stable! I'm always a bit nervous getting Revision 1 stuff anyway!

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Apple is (at least as of recent times) not known for being the first to release new technology first. Perhaps this is because they want to ensure that products do not have issues. In the case of them and Sandy Bridge processors, this method worked well given the initial issues with the CPU, which did not affect Apple's customers as they had not started selling the current MBP revision yet.

13. Hitrate macrumors regular

Hitrate

14. aramosc macrumors regular

aramosc

not stupid at all! you will be getting a free ipod + the student discount and the printer.. if you sell the ipod then you got a great deal! go for it

15. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Excellent deal and I love my 2011 mbp, it rocks!

16. smugDrew macrumors member

Early 2011 MBP's are amazing, very fast and I'd buy one. But I can wait, so if you can wait also - then why not! I'm sure there will be a mid / late 2011 MBP refresh (judging by previous release cycle).

I'd really like a higher resolution panel on the 13" MBP but I'll be OK with the 1280x800 I guess. Oops went off topic...

17. Shanekarpi251 macrumors member

I'm currently saving money/waiting for the promo before I buy my 2011 13" i5 MBP. I think it's worth the wait. What I don't like is that you need to buy the iPod touch and then you get the money back in mail after rebate so you need money for the MBP AND the iPod touch.

18. hcho3 macrumors 68030

If you need it buy it, but I am waiting for 2012 redesign.

19. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

What about parents and the promo deal? I've seen references to parents qualifying but I don't see anything about that on the Apple Store Education section. Did any of the tax free retailers, such as MacMall, participate in the past and how did they qualify buyers?

20. socialmarker macrumors newbie

I would say buy it if you want to! There will always be new models coming out, you can't wait forever :)

21. macDelirium macrumors member

Out of interest, why the 15" MBP? Why not the 13"? You said you were looking at buying when B2S deals are available - so I guess portability is important.

Not seen a 15" Early-2011 MBP but have had time to play with the 13" i7 MBP and it's really impressive.

22. Arsenal09 macrumors member

I have the same problem, i can maybe buy a 15inch 2.2 this summer. But I also don't know if i would wait or not.. :)

23. dblissmn macrumors regular

All depends on whether your current computer a) meets the requirements of your university course of study and b) is still fast enough and usable enough not to drive you nuts in day-to-day use. If your answer to both questions is yes, then you might want to consider waiting a year. If your answer to one question or the other is no, then upgrade now. The current MBP has the requisite next generation technology with big improvements in speed and power across the board (Quad-core on the 15/17 inch models, Thunderbolt, SDXC, 16GB RAM expandability, 6Gb SATA, high-resolution screen options, and a substantially improved wireless card). As for the next MBP, given what Intel has promised for their approximately Q1/2012 processor update (built-in USB 3 support and a big reduction in power consumption and leakage due not only to the die-shrink but also the "3D" silicon technology), it won't be as dramatic as this one was. I suspect it will feature stuff like a considerable improvement in battery life, a further speed-bump but not revolutionary change on processing power, slightly cooler operating temperatures, USB 3, and perhaps replacing Firewire with a second Thunderbolt port, and who knows with the optical drive. In other words, it will be very good and probably a bit more pleasant and practical to use but perhaps not as big an improvement in speed and power as the current generation is over the last one.

24. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

The current MBPs came out 3 months ago, so I'd say buy one and enjoy it. They're plenty fast, I highly doubt you'll push them to their limit. If you're always waiting for the next big thing, you'll always be waiting for the next big thing.

25. Rufio808 macrumors newbie

Rufio808

I'm in the same boat. I have an 08 15'' macbook pro and been looking to upgrade for some time now. I like the 2.2 ghz i7 model since it has the 1G video card. I do a lot editing/gaming, so it should run great for all my needs.