Buying new iPad mini should I get apple care + or not

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by abz1981, Oct 25, 2013.

1. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hey all

I am going to be buying the non retina iPad mini which costs £249 in the UK. If I buy from John Lewis I will get an automatic 2 year warranty provided by John Lewis for free. If I buy from Apple it's just the standard 1 year warranty unless I buy apple care + for £79. Now my question is do you think it will be worth having apple care + as it includes accidental damage. Or should I just go for the free extended warranty by John Lewis. The iPad is for my sister and as far as I know she is a careful user. But then again I don't want an expensive repair if she damages it.

Any suggestions.

2. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

AppleCare only gives you two years warranty anyway, so you should be fine with the John Lewis warranty, especially since they are a reputable store which is guaranteed to be still there in two years time. You save £79.

After the warranty runs out, or if it is obvious that you broke the iPad yourself, Apple does "out of warranty replacements" - don't know what it costs for iPad Mini, but they'll give you a refurbished iPad 2 to replace a broken one for £199. Save the Apple Care, so that cost is down to £120. Battery replacement is cheaper if you need one, and I would think the iPad Mini is cheaper as well.

3. abz1981 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey

Thanks yeah might as well go for John Lewis have you ever had any experience with them with the after sales support they provide when it comes to getting things fixed under warranty. I know the 1st year I will deal with apple but just thinking about the 2nd year.

4. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

I bought an ipad mini less than 6 months ago. The other night while downloading the latest update to ios7, it crashed and I lost all my info. Without a computer to restore it I had to call Apple. The operator said because I didn't have AppleCare I couldn't get phone support! I didn't even have it a year yet!

So I went down to apple, after making an appointment, and still had to wait over an hour past my appointment time to see someone.

I think Apple is really pushing people to buy AppleCare now. Not just about my ipad, but They used to repair things for free, or no questions asked. Now they are being kinda dicky and not repairing things for free. Even for those who buy AppleCare, they Are not paying for certain repairs that they used to.

They are making their laptops & iMacs less and less user upgradable, forcing you to go to a Apple or pay up for expensive BTOs.

Love Apple...but this seems to be the trend. Less for more.