Buying new iPhone 6s outright.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gualwer, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Gualwer macrumors regular

Hey guys

I'm glad I found this website. I have a question for you guys. I have an employee account with Verizon so I'm not allow to purchase an iphone through my verizon account until it is available for employees. I'm willing to pay full retail price, but I still can't get it through Verizon so Apple is my best bet. The only thing is if I want to buy an iphone through let's say the Verizon website, it asks for my account info, even if I enter all my account info it will say "account is not supported" (because its an employee account) What are my options? will Apple allow me to pre-order a Verizon iPhone outright without having to put my account info?

2. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

No. All your ID and account info is required and will only be accepted once Apple is ready to sell phones

3. Gualwer thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I have to open an account than. What if I just open an account with VRZ to purchase the iPhone 6s with the Device Payment plan, and then once I receive the new iPhone I call them, pay off the phone and cancel service?

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I think only T Mobile you didn't need an account last year.

5. Gualwer thread starter macrumors regular

But I won't be able to use it on Verizon, right? since it's t-mobile

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I think it will now. By no means am I an expert or personally done this. Hopefully others can confirm.

7. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

The T-Mobile unlocked is a name placement. The phone does come with a T-Mobile sim, But its not already inserted into the phone. The phone is Apple's Unlocked answer so all US carriers work only if a currently activated sim is placed inside.

8. Gualwer thread starter macrumors regular

So it will work on Verizon as long as I have an activated SIM with Verizon? The thing right now I have an iPhone 4s since my iphone 6 broke, This phone doesn't take SIM cards. If I get a SIM CARD from Verizon and call them to put that phone on my line they shouldn't have any problem doing that, right? I was just reading about phones being white listed and that Verizon takes only Verizon phones. I want to make sure that T-mobile phone will work with Verizon. Thanks man for your help.

9. fieldsphotos macrumors 6502

I think your best bet is going to be finding a phone in an Apple Store. Then you can buy whatever model you want without providing any account details. Apple's pre-order site isn't really set up for folks who want to pay full price but for whatever reason don't want to use their carrier contract.

Unless everything changes this year and we get the SIM-Free model at launch

10. Gualwer thread starter macrumors regular

Thats what I was thinking, that maybe my best bet is to go to the Apple store. I wonder though if I could pre-order it opening a new account with Verizon, lets say Friday 11th and do in store pick-up and then when its time to pick it up on the 18th, once I'm in the store tell them that I don't want to open the account and that I just want to pay full retail price right then. I wonder if that would work.

11. Phonekingg macrumors newbie

OP, if you have an employee account with Verizon do you not have the resources to find the exact and CORRECT information you need to do what it is you need to do? I am assuming you either work for VZW or are on a friend/family members account. Have you directly asked the account holder how you can move forward, i don't know that seems like it would make the most sense.

Also, when I worked for VZW we could not get the new iPhones for a good 3-4 months after they had been released. If you are planning on opening an account then attempting to cancel it, then place the new iPhone on your employee account a couple things can happen. Either it will not process under the employee account at all until it is eligible OR if it is successfully placed on the account IF it is caught you can jeopardize that whole employee account for going against policy. From what you are saying in your responses it seems like you are going to try to place it on your employee account. From my past experience personally and from seeing coworkers trying to get around the policy I don't think it will work whether it is immediate or if it takes a bit for someone to catch it.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Times have changed and now that VZW has killed off contracts (for new customers) and ATT is moving the same direction, I think we'll see more selection this time.

13. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

As soon as they start selling the iPhone 6S, they will probably have the unlocked T Mobile version, and this worked perfectly with AT&T.

Something that I noticed with the iPhone 6 (not S) is that the unlocked T Mobile/AT&T version of the phone does not have all of the Verizon LTE bands, nor does it support falling back to Verizon's non-LTE bands in the event you end up someplace that has not LTE or the LTE array has gone down.

So with the iPhone 6 (not S), you can put your Verizon, already active SIM into an unlocked T Mobile/AT&T version and it will probably be okay so long as the SIM is already active and it doesn't activate a search for the phone's serial number on the Verizon system. But even if the phone works you might end up somewhere that Verizon didn't won the spectrum for the band that's on the phone you have, so you'll drop service where someone with a Verizon phone might keep service.

If the 6S versions are rolled out the same way that the 6 was rolled out, then you will have something called a "SIM-Free" version that supports almost every band, and would have you on all T Mobile, AT&T and Verizon LTE bands wherever you are, and quite a few international LTE and LTE_+ bands as well.

So there is a version that you want, if they're rolled out the same way the 6 was rolled out.

But there's still some bad news: The SIM-Free version of the iPhone 6 didn't show up on the Apple sites for purchase until long after all the other versions were rolled out. I believe there was a couple of months wait before the SIM-Free version came out.

14. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Here's a screen shot. When you get to this point, you want to pick SIM-Free, not T-Mobile.

If you look up the version numbers, you will see that the SIM-Free version has more LTE bands than the T-Mobile version.

My fear is that the 6S will be the same way, and you'll just have to wait for SIM-Free to come out if you don't want to run the risk of ending up in an area where Verizon's LTE is on a band peculiar to them.

Attached Files:

15. Gualwer thread starter macrumors regular

I work with a third party company I just get the benefits of having an employee account with VRZ. I do plan on contacting them, but I wanted some feedback regarding if it was possible or not to purchase an iphone at retail price when it's first released.

I don't think there is a policy for getting a new device. How it works is they have a whole complete system for people with employee accounts to order a new phone. I can't juts go on their website and order one, I have to call a specific number and order a phone out of the ones available for employees only, usually a new iphone can take up to 2 months to be available due to the high demand of iphones. So you may say well there must be a policy if they make you buy phones only through their own employee account system, and yes it makes sense, but this system is only when you buy a phone at a discounted price, see our discounts are crazy, I can get an iPhone 6 for only $100 and then I just sign a contract for 1 year and I'm allowed to upgrade even earlier than that, so thats why we have to upgrade only through their system WHEN we want to get a discounted phone, but I AM allowed to buy an iPhone and put it on my account if I purchase it retail price, there isn't a policy against it. When my iPhone 6 broke and I bought an iphone 4s they didn't give me a hard time about activating a different device. See what I mean? So there are no restrictions for me getting a new phone if I buy it outright.

16. Gualwer thread starter macrumors regular

I hope so, I hope buying it outright is one of the options.

17. Gualwer thread starter macrumors regular

Thats why I don't want to purchase the T-mobile version. I want the Verizon or SIM-Free version. :( if its not offered I'm tempted to pre-order it with a new Verizon account and pick it up at the Apple store and once I'm there just cancel my pre-order and tell them I want to buy it outright. I think I have heard about people doing this before. I think.

18. 8rlee8 macrumors regular

The T-Mobile unlocked one does have all the bands for Verizon and AT&T. The sim free version has 4 extra bands which only sprint uses here in the U.S.

19. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

OP you're best bet is to pre-order the T-Mobile iPhone. Last year that was the only way to get an unlocked iPhone 6. Then if for some reason it doesn't work with your Verizon SIM then you can return the phone.

20. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Please, are you absolutely sure?

I am delighted to hear that, but I want to be absolutely sure myself that I am buying a phone that works on both Verizon and AT&T.

If i look at some threads of a similar vein, I come away unconvinced.

21. tjleonard macrumors 6502

I know for sure the iPad Air 2 only requires you to put a Verizon SIM in it...you can even ask Apple to give you the Verizon SIM if you're a new account holder. It also can be used on AT&T and T-Mobile...i'm sure it can be used as Sprint too...

22. 8rlee8 macrumors regular

Yep. Just check out http://apple.com/iphone/lte

23. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Yes. If you purchased the T-Mobile Unlocked From Apple's website, you can go into a Verizon store or by phone and ask for them to send you nano sim with your number and activate yourself, or you can have them activate the phone for you. If you bought the iPhone from Apple store, you might fun into a problem since its not the Unlocked version.

24. 8rlee8 macrumors regular

The T-Mobile version is unlocked whether you buy it from the apple website or the physical store.

25. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

Apple Website is Unlocked, any carrier day 1. The in store is carrier locked to T-Mobile.