Buying New Macbook Pro when it comes out, student discount question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by banser, Oct 12, 2008.

1. banser macrumors newbie

I have been accepted to a university and have already enrolled there for next fall (im a senior in high school). I am planning on going to the apple store whenever the new MBP is in stores(hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday), will they let me have a student discount? Should i bring my letter of acceptance along? I do not have an id for the college yet obviously so i just hope they believe me and let me get the discount. Anybody done this before? thanks

2. Munitalp macrumors 65816

You don't have to be in college to get the discount, why not just get it from the high school you goto now? Do you have a high school I.D.?

3. banser thread starter macrumors newbie

yes i do have a high school id but there's nothing on apples website about high school discounts, do they exist? if so that's awesome.

4. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

I was thinking the same thing as I am in high school too.

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Although the above note about high school is incorrect as you do have to be a college student or staff member, you should have no problem if you bring along your letter of acceptance and present it. :D

And for the other poster, on the Apple Eduction site entry page (at http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/education_routing/ ) it clearly states that you have to be a college student (or a staff member of any grade) to qualify for the discount. When entering the site past that point you have to select your college to proceed also.

See the following on that page:

"How to receive the education discount

If you are a college student or a teacher, administrator, or staff member of any grade level, you qualify for special pricing on Apple computers, software, and select third party products. Quanity limits apply. See terms and conditions."

6. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Ahh, your right -- I just read the "Select your K-12 School"

7. yoppie macrumors 6502a

The education discount is for college students and faculty and staff (college and high school). IIRC, the education discount does not apply to high school students.

Not 100% sure but you might be able to use your college acceptance letter to get the discount. They did it this summer for the back to school promo but next fall is a ways off so I don't know if it'll apply to you.

ETA: I see someone has already beaten me to the punch.

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I thought maybe high school students could get a Student Membership with the Apple Developer Connection which allows for a hardware discount, but I just checked and it is limited to college students over 18 as well! :(

http://developer.apple.com/products/student.html

9. banser thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies, i hope it does work. i just had a conversation with one of the apple "experts" using the chat on apples site and she first told me no but then i told her i had a student id number on my letter and then she said yes and tried to make the sale on me. she was unsuccessful though, as i informed her of the notebook refresh haha. i prt scr-ed it though and printed it out in case they give me a problem at the apple store. thanks

10. David N macrumors member

So long as you have a Student ID Number at your university you should be fine. A friend of mine got accepted, used his number, and ended up not going to that school and still got the discount.

11. Farns514 macrumors 6502

Farns514

I was also wondering the same thing. Do you think that these discounts will apply to the new line of macbooks? I ask that because i tried to use that discount when the iPod touch came out and the people at my college said that they did not know if there would be a discount for it because it was new. I plan on purchasing a new Macbook pro when they are released and i hope they can apply the student discount to the new ones, that would be bitter sweet.

12. David N macrumors member

There always has been a student discount on them, so I see no reason there wouldn't be for the new ones.

13. busterbluth macrumors 6502

I just graduated, can I still get it?

I just graduated from graduate school, and I was planning on buying it online (I would have bought one while I still in school but I was waiting for the update...) When buying online, what kind of varification is required to prove you're still in school? Thanks!

14. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

just show your id

15. busterbluth macrumors 6502

But I am buying it online...

16. rolex54 macrumors 6502

I am pretty sure there is no verification for buying online, you just have to claim you go to some school, and thats about it

17. yoppie macrumors 6502a

For online purchases, they mostly just take your word. They check verifications randomly.

18. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

If you can log into the college's website and have an acceptance letter they'll most likely let you get what you want.

I had yet to get my ID when I bought my iBook. I brought my acceptance letter and they had me log in to the website. When they went back to get my box I talked to them about what other verification they use and it's usually just that. If you have an ID that is usually all they need.

19. busterbluth macrumors 6502

Thats what I thought. Thanks. Ive been a student for 8 years, undergrad and grad. I don't think I'm ripping apple off if I graduated a few months ago (I need the savings for my 300K Debt)

20. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

Take your acceptance letter (or any letter from a college with your name on it), and you're set.

21. arjunreddyj macrumors newbie

i have graduated a long back but my college login still works which takes you to apple store can i buy it or do i have to show any verification i live in different state now

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They sometimes verify, but not always.

23. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Are you 18 though?

24. deriko100 macrumors 6502

If you have your college id already you can trick apple or be honest and ask them, or wait till you get into college.

25. banser thread starter macrumors newbie

no, im still 17. will this be a problem? do they actually check your age? if so ill probably just order it online...which would suck since id have to wait, but for me saving $200 dollars is a big deal.