Buying new mini off eBay UK ?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by vim147, Feb 24, 2012.

1. vim147, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

vim147 macrumors regular

Seem some sellers selling base minis for 450 new on eBay as opposed to 529 from apple. Is it to be trusted ?

2. andychelt macrumors member

Check their feedback. They've probably just "acquired" some US minis which work just fine.

I bought a sealed US mid level mini with the 6630 graphics card off ebay last year for £570 and it was perfect and considerably less than the £699 from Apple! :D

3. john.burn macrumors member

I bought one back in December and it's perfect... Although I'll warn you if you have OCD about apple things it won't have the nice white soft feeling UK power lead but a black generic one...

4. parestailor macrumors member

parestailor

5. Bear macrumors G3

If the person selling it is not an official Apple Reseller, your warranty at best started from the day they bought the system. At worst, you don't have a reseller receipt to show you bought the system for warranty coverage.

As for buying from ebay? Some sellers are reputable, some are not. Since I won't use Paypal, I generally don't buy from ebay anymore.

6. raymondkerr macrumors regular

I just received my new Mac Mini this morning, purchased it from UK seller :ecell on ebay for £445.00 2011 base model. It came shrink wrapped with a genuine UK apple power lead.

Just setting this up just now. I can now give my MBA 11" a rest as I have been using it as my main machine for the last 5 months. :apple::)

7. vim147 thread starter macrumors regular

How long did delivery take and is it a UK spec ?

8. raymondkerr macrumors regular

It took 6 days to arrive, from clicking on the buy now button on ebay. It appears to be full UK spec. Very pleased so far, need to order a RAM upgrade to 8GB, 2GB on the base model really isn't enough. This is my first time using Lion, liking launchpad and some other nice features, I've even left the track pad scrolling as per Lion, and getting used to it already using my magic track pad instead of a mouse.

:)

9. gingerbenn macrumors member

I was going to buy a 2.3ghz 2011 mac mini via ebay off a seller who sells the base mac mini's for £460 (us imports) wesellapples

But in the end realised UK apple website refurbished selection usually have base 2.3ghz mac mini's for £449 inc vat with normal 12 month warranty. So opted for the refurbised mac mini direct from apple, ordered on thursday had it friday so fast delivery via apple. The UK apple website refurbished selection seems to update every wednesday night, I've seen the base mac mini's and mac mini server on there in the last week.

Only difference with refurbed is you don't get the retail box as in photos of the mac mini on the side of it, it basically turns up in a plain box box but very well packaged with all the plastic sleeves on the mac mini.

I've upgraded ram to 8gb in my mac mini and I am very impressed, just want to get my hands on thunderbolt cable and SSD!!

10. vim147 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you have a link for the refub site ?

11. raymondkerr macrumors regular

I'm upgrading the RAM next week to 8GB, wondering where the best UK place is to buy. Been looking on ebay, what are the best makes, Kingston ? Corsair, Crucial ? etc.

I was also looking on Youtube at installing an SSD, found on ebay, a hong Kong based seller where I can get the HD flex cable for less than £30 which according to the video I've seen, you can install an SSD on top of the internal 500GB HD and boot from the SSD and install Lion on that.

Something I'm considering as prices on SSD's are coming down, maybe going for a 128GB Sata III drive at just around £100.

12. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

13. vim147 thread starter macrumors regular

14. gingerbenn macrumors member

Check the Apple Uk refurb section either late wednesday night or first then thursday morning each week, new stock goes online then.

There were a few 2.3ghz and some 2.5ghz mac mini's this week.

15. vim147 thread starter macrumors regular

Just ordered the Mac mini 2.3 for £449. Will get it next week. Want to get a decent enough 19" monitor and Wireless keyboard and mouse. Will upgrade ram too. New to macs so will take time figuring it out.

16. entropyfl macrumors regular

Damn I just missed you! I want to sell my Mini and i'm in the UK. oh well, anyone else in the UK want to avoid ebay?

17. itsstuartlane macrumors newbie

wesellapples ebay problems

I would avoid wesellapples. AKA salamander Sound Innovations Inc like the plague.

I bought a macmini with 8gb of RAM from them in August, it constantly restarted and I returned it in September.

In October I had heard nothing from them and when I reminded them they said they couldnt find the machine, luckily I sent it recorded delivery and the machine was eventually found.

They then told me they could not find a fault with the macmini and the cost of investigation and return delivery would be £58.00. I disputed this immediately.

After nearly another month of nothing I threatened them with legal action onlt to be told that unless I paid I would be charged £5 a day storage and after 30 days the mac mini would be sold to pay the costs.

Feeling I had no choice I paid this but when then machine was returned it only had 4gb of RAM.

I have tried to address this with them but when I told them I was going to review them on a computer forum and quoted the UK sale of goods act I was accused of being aggressive and told they would no longer communicate with me.

I have now brought this the attention of paypal in the hope that I can get my £58.00 back. I very much daubt I will ever the extra 4gb of RAM I paid for.

I wouldn't suggest that wesellapples deliberately take a long time in order to circumvent the ebay/paypal 90 day policy because I feel they are the kind of company that would try and sue me if I did say such a thing.

So I will never buy anything from wesellapples/salamander Sound Innovations Inc and I would urge others to use caution before buying from them.

Looking at recent ebay feedback I am not the only one having problems.

Attached Files:

18. scbond macrumors 6502

If you disagree with a charge they made up out of the figment of their imagination then don't pay it. By paying it you agreed to it and won't get your money back. You returned the item and had proof so depending on the stated returns policy they would've had no choice but to refund or replace. If they refused then you should've filed for the small claims court. They would've more than likely refunded before the court would've become involved.

19. itsstuartlane macrumors newbie

I agree with you but they had me over a barrel. I need the macmini to edit projects for a youth theatre and I very behind.

To add insult to injury its the fact they returned the macmini with only half the RAM. Ive got a feeling they are now going to claim that I had removed it when I sent it back to them.