Buying PC for Mom

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macswitcha2, Dec 12, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

If I had the budget I will get her a macbook but she only wants to use a laptop for checking emails and surfing the internet the ability to print is a must.

I was thinking of a netbook or a regular laptop. Which would you recommend and which brand?

or, should I get her a iPad?

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Last summer we got my grandmother an iPad, and she loves it. She surfs the net, e-mails photos, etc. She had no computing ability beforehand, and took to the iPad immediately. If you're sure that's all your Mom needs to do, it's definitely a user-friendly solution.

You'll have to get a printer that'll print from the iPad, though. I'm not sure what that'll entail.

3. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I was thinking of an iPad but not sure how she will do with the whole touch thing.

4. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

A used Apple is usually always superior to an inexpensive, poorly manufactured, new Windows based portable.

Try Criagslist.

5. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

My mother still uses an old 20" Aluminum iMac.

It's more than enough for her needs

6. SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

Is this a fact?

7. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

I would get her a netbook or something basic from bestbuy or somewhere like that. I say go for a netbook but the do have small screens so eyesight and screen size are always a concern when buying netbooks.

8. SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

9. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

Sony makes some decent, cheap PC laptops. Check them out.

Although, avoid HP at all costs. They're downright terrible.

10. mcx macrumors newbie

Yes I think so too.

My sister's friend is using a 3 years old white macbook.
    It still works great fast enough.
    If I have to decide to take this or a new windows computer I would decide for the macbook.
    The reasons are simple.

Mac OSX needs less power and is the better system :)
    A used mac is cheaper and better than a new pc. (1,86 Core 2 Duo, 2gb, mac mini for less than 350€ on ebay)
    If your mother isn't interested in computer is the usability of mac osx easier than windows.
    I think you have a mac too so there is an easier interaction ;)
    If you decide to buy an used mobile macbook you should know that the mac's battery lives longer than the pc's one. My father have to change his notebook battery after 2 years because the capacity reached less than 25%. The macbook of my sister's friend has still about 98-100% (I don't know how he do that :), I had 95% after 1 year)

Best regards

11. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I wouldn't bother with a used Apple. It would still be expensive, and if your mother is used to Windows, changes are she probably doesn't want to change. When it was time to buy my mother a new computer, I showed her my laptop. I showed her the dock, how easy it was to launch apps, etc. At the end of the demo she asked "where's the start button?". I told her to get another Dell.

I also don't know about an iPad. My mother wanted a real keyboard and mouse, so she may not like all the touch screen stuff and virtual keyboard. I would also avoid a netbook, because the tiny screen can be tough to read for older folks. Heck, I don't even like trying to read them.

Anyway, now is a good time to buy. Lots of manufacturers are running big holiday sales. Dell has been running their "days of deals", so check out what is on sale today. They had an Inspirion 15" the other day for $450. Also check sites like Techbargains and LogicBuy to find good sales and coupon codes.

12. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the advises. I found THIS at Best Buy, what do you all think?

13. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

For basic uses like you were describing, it should work ok. I've never run Win7 on 2GB of RAM, though, so I don't know how it will perform. Of course, RAM is usually easy to upgrade on most laptops. I'm also not that big a fan of the Celeron, but again, for basic uses it should be fine.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I run Windows 7 with 2gb of RAM, and it's not bad at all - I can run Virtual Studio, WoW, Word, etc, without issue. Windows 7 is really very good with RAM management. I also only have a 1.4ghz Celeron CPU, no complaints here.

The only thing I would caution about is the brand name: Toshiba likes to give you a lot of software pre-installed, make sure this doesn't have crapware on it. Also, their drivers are a pain to find if you ever have to reinstall Windows.

I'd recommended something like this from Dell, but again, I'm an admitted Dell/Windows fanboy ;)

15. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I agree about Toshibia. They used to be pretty good, but it seems their quality has fallen lately. I knew Win7 was much better with memory management than Vista, but I didn't know how it would run with 2GB.

If you are looking to buy now, Dell has their "Days of Deals" going on, and has an Inspirion 15 for $449. I also saw a link on their site for a $20 coupon off that. You probably need to hurry, though, as I think it expires tomorrow.

Also, the Dell Outlet may be a good idea. I have bought from there, and their stuff is as good as the Apple refurbs. You would be hard pressed to tell the unit I bought had ever been used when I got it.

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife