Buying phone off contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ferixdacat, Oct 3, 2015.

1. ferixdacat macrumors newbie

ferixdacat

Sorry if this question has been posted already... But i'm reading on all these websites that if you buy a phone directly via the apple store (if you choose ATT but then pay in full) the phone will come unlocked? Is that true? Thanks.

2. Coleman2010 macrumors 68000

If you buy full price device only from the Apple retail store any version you buy will be unlocked.

The unlocked version from the Apple website is the T-Mobile version. The other versions sold through the Apple website require you to enter a phone number and will be locked to the carrier. If it is locked to the carrier and you paid full price you have to call the carrier and request an unlock. They will grant the unlocked since it was paid full price and you're not bond by a contract with them.

It's less hassle just to buy it device only full price from an Apple retail store if you want an unlocked version.

3. ferixdacat thread starter macrumors newbie

ferixdacat

Thanks so much for your help! Do you know if there's any extra steps when paying full price for the phone at the retail store? They're not expecting you to sign up for a plan, or check for your existing plan when you purchase the phone at the store?

4. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

no extra steps, just tell them device only. paid $849 for my 6s 128GB.
    give them money, they give you a device.

5. AllStarCelica macrumors newbie

There's no extra steps. I bought mine in full the day after it was released. I verified it was the AT&T model and they verified it was unlocked and I could use it on any carrier. I came home and popped in my go phone Sim card and it worked perfectly. I didn't have to sign up for any plan at all, nor did they even ask me about it. I walked in, paid for the phone and walked out. Altogether it took about 5 minutes.

6. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

No extra steps, it's just like buying a MacBook or a screen protector. You ask for the device, pay and walk out.

7. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

THIS IS NOT TRUE. I purchased my 2 AT&T "Paid in Full" iPhones during the preorder online (Apple Store app). Yes, you have to provide a number or add a service in order to get them online. However, if you paid for them in full, they come unlocked. The only requirement is having to connect them with iTunes and do a restore. Even then, you could probably use the easily without a restore. There are several threads that talk about this.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/at-t-iphone-6s-paid-in-full-is-unlocked-has-band-30.1921721/

That being said, if you buy a paid in full device through the cell provider, you are not guaranteed an unlocked phone from the get go.