Buying Powermac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacHappytjg, Apr 12, 2008.

1. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

Im thinking about a powermac g4 500 dual to replace my belovid imac g3 how much would the max i should pay like smaller hd and ram

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

That is way underpower for today's needs, will drag in Tiger or Leopard. You would be better off getting a Mac Mini intel dual-core for the price...you could drive a widescreen display, handle more RAM, and have wireless built-in, plus save you a few square meters of deskspace.

I would never buy another G4 tower...now that I've seen the speed of the intel-Macs...the only "older" machines I have an affection for are older PowerBooks.

Just my humble opinion. A dual-G4/500 tower is a waste of good money

3. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I personally wouldnt get anything less than a dual 866 g4. Reason being is that it is leopard compatible and has 2 processors so you can.. to some extent.. multitask.

4. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

well i just need something that tiger will go on for my music and ipod cause i have my macbook as my primary

5. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Yes, true...but PowerPC anything, to that extent...unless you are getting it for Nostalgic reasons, you collect older Macs, you like to toy around with antiquities, or you have a specific urgent need to run Classic applications in the OS 9 environment, it is almost asinine to buy a G4, the way I see it.

If your needs involve running OS X and you are really in need of PPC-architecture, and you want the expandability, find a good PowerMac G5 tower on eBay. I've seen them go from anywhere between $500 - $1000. Good expandability, good (decent) speed...will run Tiger or Leopard well.

Again, a Mac Mini (1.66 or 1.83) intel dual-core with 2GB of RAM will give you lightning speed, and will let you drive up to a 24" external display @ 1920x1200 (millions of colors). It will run all PPC-OSX (Rosetta) and intel-native + universal Apps...and will probably be able to run most everything current and stay current for at least 2 years. You can find a new one on eBay for about $500 or perhaps less.

G4 towers are fun to play with, they are great machines (I had one)....but it's not something you would want as your primary workhorse/internet machine by todays standards. Safari and Firefox will practically be slothful as molasses on an older G4, or at least I would think

6. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

its my secondary and for god sakes people i dont have much money like 250$ i might just buy an imac g3 600mhz and put tiger on cause i have a 60gb hd and 512mb of ram still

7. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

Cost of G4 Dual 500 vs. Mini?

I own both a G4 Dual 500 and a 1.25. I tried to goose up the 500 with a dual 1.3 CPU ugrade, and had installed some SATA HD's with the appropriate PCI card. Well while it lasted it was sweet, faster, noisier and hotter ;)

About two weeks after the upgrade the darn thing died:mad: I probably overtaxed the powersupply and those could be found for another $200.00. I couldn't see pouring more money into it. And it rests peacefully in the basement after many years of service as I bought it new.

The 1.25 is now my spouse's machine and it works great for her. She only uses it for the basics. Surfing, Microsoft Office 2004. I couldn't get Leopard to install on it even though it meets the specs.

So, I don't know what you can get that G4 for. But if it you've got the $$$ for even a used Intel Mac I'd say go for it. If you don't and the G4's price is right I'd say just don't pour any upgrades into it.

I love the old Mac. I even have an old Mac XL in the basement too. That one may still work but I don't think Final Cut Pro 4 will work on it....;)

Oh, just one more thing. I bought a MacPro 2.66 refurb. from Apple. Love it!

8. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

yea i have a 60gb hdd and 640mb of ram handy that will work with g4 powermacs so thats like the only stuff that ill put into it

9. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I would just get the best one you can with your budget.

10. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

exactly u understand me only makes sence

11. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

At work I pulled an 866MHz G4 Quicksilver with a 120GB HDD out of surplus. I found 768MB of RAM and installed Leopard on it (since we have multiple licenses for it for our new Mac Pros).

Have to say it's powerfully slow, even just serving as an iTunes head-end. Even booting takes a good minute or more. For the heck of it I installed Office 2008 and Adobe Creative Suite 3 on it and they run, but load times take a good deal of time and the machine often hangs for 30 seconds or a minute trying to access menu commands (reminds me of Vista). With an nVidia MX video card with 64MB of VRAM, most of Leopard's fancier animation and video effects can't run on it.

I understand you have a tight budget, but you need to weigh spending $250-300 now on a machine that is totally outclassed by today's software - and will likely be physically unable to run tomorrow's as the Macintosh software community moves to Intel-only binaries - vs. waiting a few months to spend $500-600 on a machine (Mac Mini) that has a useful future measured in years.

12. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

i dont have a JOB!!!!!! im poor i dont need a fast machine i was using a imac g2 350mhz and it ran adobe photoshop cs flash studio 8 and ms office 2004 i can live with a g4 i only plan on putting a 60gb hd i already have and possibly 640mb of ram i already have and putting tiger on it since i will use it for my music and maybe surfingthe net i have a macbook to do all of my work like adobe cs3 premium suite and ms office 2008 i dont even own leopard i just have it on my macbook from ****************** rather not say heheheh but yea i dont really like it enough to buy another computer to run it on

13. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Okay,

If you are set on a G4...my best recommendation is to get a Sawtooth tower (AGP Graphics). They are the easiest to service and upgrade, and you can easily upgrade the chip all the way to a dual 1.8GHz G4 (blistering fast)

so that's my final recommendation on this issue.

Look at these pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

are these the 450's or the 500's???

15. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

A G4 would suit your needs, your right it doesnt make sence to spend that kind of money on something newer if you only want it to do simple things. I think you might be a little disappointed with the Dual 500 though as it isnt all that much of an upgrade from the iMac. By all means, get it if you want, but I think you'd be a lot happier with something a tad higher in specs.

And I wish people would stop suggesting the Mini. I'm sure we're all up to date with Apple's prices and specs since it is Macrumors. The Mini is useless in terms of expandability and priced waay more than it should be given the specs.

16. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

i wish people would look at what im typing and see that i Have a MACBOOK! but my local mac place have been blowing out quick silver so ill keep my eye out for a good referb deal

17. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

but is it possible to put leopard on a powermac g4 500 dual because i saw a guy who had leopard on his pm that he was selling on ebay

18. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

But it's a heck of a sight better performer than a G4 (especially a 500MHz G4) so if for some reason you do decide you want to do something more then just (try) and surf the web or (try) and play music, you are not saddled with a boat anchor.

It won't install using the Apple installer on the DVD, but there evidently are ways to hack it to force it to install.

19. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

20. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

21. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

22. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

$200 or less. You should be able to find single 500mhz models for $100, the second CPU does not double its value.

23. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Sorry bout that, didn't realize that you were in Canada. That's going to require some patience because shipping can be expensive. And probably a brokerage fee if not sent USPS.

What died on your G3, the video or the logicboard?
    If the video board's gone I can't help you because your model doesn't have external video out. That would be if the power button lights up and you can hear it run through the boot process but the screen remains dark

jodelli

24. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

i killed it cause it was pissin me off and thers something really wrong with the hdd when i plug it in by using usb it says its 2tb and it wont erase or notice it as a usb drive so then i just got pissed off at it and gunna use the parts say for a g4 powermac or maybe a emac cause they use the same ram and i have a bit of it when i get my money ill maybe wait for something more expencive and sell the rest of the computer on ebay or somthing but i didnt really use my imac for much it was at the point where it just SAT THERE and didnt really start it up considering it was so slow and i couldnt stand it

25. MacHappytjg thread starter macrumors 65816

It won't install using the Apple installer on the DVD, but there evidently are ways to hack it to force it to install.[/QUOTE]

i was thinking target mode