Buying RAM - will Genius put it in for me

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jblack4083, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

If i buy some RAM can i take the RAM and a Macbook Pro into the apple store to get them to install the RAM for me? Will they do it free of charge. Do I need to have AppleCare for them to do it or anything like that?

2. macgeek77 macrumors regular

I am not completly sure but I THINK they will.

3. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I think they only do it for free if you buy the ram from the Apple store.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

When I bought more RAM for my PowerBook, they wouldn't even let me borrow their screwdrivers. Unless things have changed in the last two years, you're S.O.L.

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

They will not install 3rd party RAM to my knowledge. And for RAM purchased at the store, I think they charge an install fee.

6. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

No they won't install it. It is so easy to install RAM, you should be able to do it yourself.

7. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

I dont want to open up my beautiful soon to be macbook pro :cool: . I dont want to have to worry about voiding my warranty and such

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

RAM in the MBP is user replaceable I believe. You just pop out the battery and unscrew three screws and you have access to the slots, it's pretty hard to mess up installing RAM, you can do it.

9. Ram459 macrumors newbie

10. WillMak macrumors 6502a

Man up and just do it yourself yo! It's very simple and you'll feel all warm and fuzzy inside once you're done.

11. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

The Genius is too smart to work for free and accept unnecessary liability.

12. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

The whole static electricity thing worries me too. I will jsut do it myself. Going to upgrade to 4Gb of RAM from Fry's

13. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i've seen people asking and all the geniuses said no.

just do it yourself man, your mac will love you more. :)

14. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Apple even provides installation instructions in your User Guide. See Chapter 3 "Boost Your Memory".

You can find the manuals online: Apple Manuals

The User Guide is there, along with a DIY Manual for Memory Replacement with more details and pictures.

15. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Don't do it yourself. Just eat your pride and take your MacBook Pro to your nearest CompUSA or computer repair store and give them $15 to do it for you. It will save you time, trouble, and anguish.

It at least did for me...

16. BengalDuck macrumors regular

I had never opened up my powerbook or any other computer before, and installing the ram took all of 5 min for me.

17. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

There is no reason not to upgrade it yourself. If you are worried, get a static wrist strap to ground yourself.

18. munckee macrumors 65816

Are you kidding?? It'll take longer to drive one-way than it would to do the whole thing yourself. It's seriously THAT easy.

19. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Unless you are both blind AND have severely shaking hands you will be able to easily install RAM into your MB/MBP. The only caveat is that if you need to take your laptop (sorry, notebook) in for repair under warranty you will need to remove 3rd party memory before bringing it in.

20. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

You sure about that? I just spent ages on the phone to apple trying to work out if I upgrade my RAM/harddrive (in a Macbook) and something unrelated fails, will I still need to replace the original hardware for my warranty to be valid. I struggled to get a straight answer out of him, he was foreign and we had a slight understanding barrier. I wasn't sure if he was telling me that they wouldn't support third party hardware (I wasn't expecting them to) or that if there's third party hardware present they wont support the entire machine.

I just want to know as I'm using the original drive as backup drive, and if I have to reinstall the OS on it to put back in and validate the warranty that'd be a pain in the ass as I'd lose my backup - I also might not be able to reinstall the OS on the backup drive if the logic board fails of something.

21. munckee macrumors 65816

Technically, I believe that they will warrant the machine just not the 3rd party hardward. I know this is the case for RAM; there is some debate over the HD (on a MacBook, since it is user replaceable).

If you're worried about it, why not simply leave a 10GB or so partition on the original drive with the OS on it. That way, if you have to swap it back into the machine for warranty work, it's still a running machine. I realize that its slightly less than ideal, but it might be a good insurance plan.