Buying the Apple AirPort Extreme...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GamerLuke, Mar 14, 2011.

1. GamerLuke macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, i'm new here.

I'm getting the Apple AE.. Just need to make sure that everything will work with the set up i'm going to have! :)

I'm going to get the Apple AE base station, with an external modem to link it to my ADSL connection.
    I haven't got a mac, or any Apple laptop/computer. I'll be using it with my Dell inspiron 1525, and my computer, both running windows vista.
    I'll also be using it with my iPhone, and Xbox 360.
    Laptop will connect wireless, xbox and computer will use ethernet cables.

Will this all work, or do I need a mac to configure/set up the router?
    Any other suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance!

Luke.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That will work fine, you'll just need to use the airport utility CD that comes with the router to set it up. It works with windows or Mac

3. GamerLuke thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much :)

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

You will install a software on your computer to work with the airport extreme, but it will work perfectly.

I honestly can't say enough good things about the AE. I have 2 desktop windows computers, 1 debian linux tower, a freenas home server, 2 macs, 2 ipods, and a PS3 on my network, and everything just works. I set it up when I plugged it in over a year ago, and the only down time I've ever had was when the internet provider was working on their lines.

5. GamerLuke thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!
    Can I also ask, what modem should I get with the router?

6. applefan289 macrumors 68000

The Airport Extreme is outstanding, and that setup will work just fine. I feel it's the best router for home and small business on the market, even if you have no other Apple products.

Just remember that for the setup, you will need to install Airport Utility, which is on the disc that comes with it, and the oldest Windows operating system supported is Windows XP with Service Pack 3.

7. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

i can personally vouch for the airport extreme, great bit of kit. also dead easy to configure through the airport utility

8. Cyberheart macrumors member

Cyberheart

I think it should i had my airport extreme for a while now and no problems i connected though it with out pc laptops as well so yeah it should work.