Buying the iPhone 3G now?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iamamac, May 24, 2009.

  1. iamamac macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2008
    #1
    Hi guys,
    I sold my iPhone 2G Wednesday and I feel like I can't take it anymore without it.. I mean, where's my e-mail, facebook, web.. Where's all the stuff that I need?
    I want to buy the iPhone 3G with a plan that's 19€/month (Vodafone - Italy) but I don't know if I'm taking the right decision.. Do you?
    Do you think Vodafone will offer me an upgrade option to the new iPhone if I buy it right now?
    I don't know if I can wait until July :(
     
  2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2004
    Location:
    Knoxville, TN (USA)
    #2
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

    They may. Was it offered last year when the 3G came out? That will be the only thing that you can base it on. Here in the US AT&T allowed you to pick up a 3G if you bought the Edge model the month before the release. I believe it was allowed in most of the other countries that it was offered but I don't really know for sure.

    Personally, I'd grit my teeth and wait to be for sure.
     
  3. iamamac thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2008
    #3
    I think I'll die until July!! The iPhone 2G wasn't offered in Italy :(
    BTW, upgrading it's an option of Vodafone? I mean, they decide this? Not Apple?
     
  4. Domanic macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2008
    Location:
    Sussex, UK
    #4
    If you think you can make do without in return for possible new features, then make do.

    If you'd rather go without then go for it...

    This is the dilemma I'm in too. I don't have an iPhone yet but after being exposed to them increasingly over the last month (two friends and my cousin), I want one of my own. I've been thinking of snagging the 8gb one on O2s £34/m plan since the handset is free (or the 16gb for £54). Or I could wait to see if the rumours are true. My main concern is the handset price and plans going up in price if I wait for the new model so I might just go for the current model...
     
  5. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

    Compile 'em all

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2005
    #5
    The rumors ARE true and the new iPhone will be announced next month. Whether it will be released in WWDC (i.e. available for purchase) is still not clear but it is definite that a better and more capable iPhone will be available in a matter of weeks.
     
  6. iamamac thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2008
    #6
    You're in UK.. They'll ofer an upgrade 99,9%.. In Italy I don't think so but you can buy it.. I would..
    I don't know, 32GB means too much or me, my iTunes library = 6GB.. :) But features like 3MP camera, radio, Apple logo illuminated made me think about this purchase..
     
  7. Domanic macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2008
    Location:
    Sussex, UK
    #7
    The illuminated apple logo thing was in a joke thread, not a speculated rumour.
     
  8. iamamac thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2008
    #8
    I don't know, I like my MBP illuminated logo so I thought I will like it even on the iPhone..
     
  9. Domanic macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2008
    Location:
    Sussex, UK
    #9
    Also what's this 99.9% upgrade you talk about?

    The iPhone would be my first time on contract so I'm not well versed in upgrade eligibility yet.
     
  10. iamamac thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2008
    #10
    I said that if you buy the iPhone 3G now and the new iPhone comes out after xx days, I'm sure O2 will offer you an upgrade to the new iPhone so you can buy it.. :)
     
  11. paulsalter macrumors 68000

    paulsalter

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #11
    Not sure if upgrading instore is different to doing it on the web

    I have just checked my o2 account online and for online upgrades you can only do it in the last month of your contract
     
  12. iamamac thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2008
    #12
    They should, they will I think offer an iPhone upgrade program or something like that..
     
  13. JCastro macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2008
    #13
    Call them (O2) and find out. Anything here will be speculation at this point.

    If you know you will probably want to upgrade then wait. If you bought something from me knowing I was going to release a new model then wanted to change it after using it for a week to a month I wouldn't change anything for you. You knew what were doing.
     
  14. paulsalter macrumors 68000

    paulsalter

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #14
    I agree that they will offer some upgrade option, but what will be the cost

    The 3g is subsidized, the carriers need to get the money back (which is usually done over the life of the contract), so i would expect a fee to upgrade early
     
  15. iamamac thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2008
    #15
    The fee I think it will be the price of the new iPhone + something, I don't know.. I don't even think that VDF will offer this here in Italy.. In UK yes..
     
  16. iamamac thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2008
  17. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

    JPIndustrie

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2008
    Location:
    Queens, NY
    #17
    Dude, I know it sucks - but your best bet is probably to wait. May's almost over, it will be WWDC before you know it.

    Unfortunately, these companies don't necessarily care whether or not you get the latest stuff at the best price, so I'm hedging my bets that we'll have different prices again depending on how much fees they can charge you, i mean 'eligibility'. So, if you get a 3G now, when the new one comes - you may be out of luck.
     
  18. iamamac thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2008
    #18
    I think you're right.. And I'll see what's the best company for me, TIM or Vodafone, both are currently offering the iPhone 3G, we'll see which will offer an upgrade that matters the most.
    Maybe (even if I think I'm dreaming) Apple will offer the iPhone right after the WWDC :D:D
    Until then, I'm stuck with my N70 :(
     
  19. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

    JPIndustrie

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2008
    Location:
    Queens, NY
    #19
    Yeah, the N70 isn't terrible. I'd also hedge my bets that anyone waiting will be rewarded by a significantly updated iPhone.
     
  20. ferfer macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 16, 2009
    #20
    Yes it will come

    Yes, rumors are true. In fact, the new Palm Pre release date seems to be scheduled a couple of days earlier just to beat them to the punch.

    Nonetheless, I'd still go with the iPhone 3G and then move forward.
     
  21. iamamac thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2008
    #21
    I hope so.. It's terrible for me that I'm used with my iPhone :D But I guess that will worth the waiting :)
     
  22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2007
    Location:
    New Sanfrakota
    #22
    On the N70 until you get the new iPhone when it comes out.
     
  23. iamamac thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2008
    #23
    Hey! I'm trying to get used with it! N70 gets an "F" when speaking about e-mails, web, etc.
     
  24. iamamac thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2008
    #24
    Another thing guys, about the price, do you think that Apple will add some extra $ for the upgrades?
     
  25. iamamac thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2008
    #25
    It's true that Apple will no longer allow purchases of the iPhone 3G when the next version is announced? And that this thing isn't an option for the Operator (VDF in my case)? :confused:
     

Share This Page