iPad Buying today, Air 2 or Pro 9.7?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tapiture, Jan 16, 2017.

?

Which iPad should I get?

  1. Air 2

    21 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Pro 8.7 inch

    51 vote(s)
    70.8%
  1. Tapiture, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017

    Tapiture macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2016
    #1
    **I screwed up on the poll. I meant to type "Pro 9.7 inch."

    Hi,
    I am going to buy an iPad today but I'm kind of torn between the Air 2 and the Pro 9.7 inch. The Pro is 200 dollars more and I don't really know what for - other than Smart Connector and a slightly better chip. However, it scares me that the iPad Air 2 has been around for almost 3 years. I'm going to use my iPad primarily for streaming video, Google Docs, surfing the web and note taking. What are your recommendations?

    Thanks!
     
  2. bufffilm Suspended

    bufffilm

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #2
    If you are buying today and can't wait till March, buy the Air2.

    It's stupid to spend $200 more. The money saved can go towards your next iPad.

    Unless you need the pencil. Then that changes the picture.
     
  3. sracer macrumors 603

    sracer

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2010
    Location:
    Land of Bongos and Beatniks
    #3
    I concur.
     
  4. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 25, 2010
    #4
    Air 2. The Pro 9.7 doesn't not improve upon it enough to justify the price in my opinion, and the device is still as fast as the day it was new.
     
  5. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2016
    #5
    I thought about waiting but they already dropped the price of the Pro 9.7 in September. When the new one comes out it will probably just be more expensive and not require a price cut for the current pro. Unless you mean you think they will come out with a successor to the Air 2 but I find that unlikely.
     
  6. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

    Cheffy Dave

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2007
    Location:
    Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    #6
    "The Pro is 200 dollars more and I don't really know what for" Obviously you haven't done any research!! True Tone screen, 4 fabulous speakers,12 MP camera, 5 MP Facetime camera,
    And, because of LTE Advanced, the 9.7-inch iPad Pro enables up to 50 percent faster cellular connections,
    4K HD video recording (3840 by 2160) IMHO, I think this is THE BEST iPAD I have ever had, and I've had them all,
    WHEN Apple meets or exceeds these specs on the 12.9, I will have that as well
     
  7. bufffilm Suspended

    bufffilm

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #7
    Yes, the new iPads released in March will be full-price. But there may well be a successor to the Air2 in March.

    Your decision on whether to wait or not.
     
  8. The Game 161 macrumors G5

    The Game 161

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #8
    The current 9.7 pro will drop even more come march

    I would wait unless you badly need one
     
  9. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2016
    #9
    Thanks for the info! I don't ever get cellular equipped iPads so that's not really a concern for me. When I looked at apple's comparison chart it didn't seem to me like there was much of a difference. I think I'm going to get an Air because my 6S can take 12 megapixel photos and capture 4K video.
     
  10. bufffilm Suspended

    bufffilm

    Joined:
    May 3, 2011
    #10
    There are pluses with the Pro that aren't on the Air2. But whether they are worth it is up to you.

    You think so. For someone else, maybe not.
     
  11. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2016
    #11
    Problem is Apple will only sell their new Pro and I'd have to buy it from a 3rd party. I have to buy from Apple because I have $100 worth of Apple Store gift cards.
     
  12. Septembersrain Contributor

    Septembersrain

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2013
    Location:
    Texas
    #12
    If you can wait until March, you'll likely see better deals on both the Air 2 and current gen Pro 9.7.

    That being said, I prefer the Pro 9.7 as I use my device mostly for watching videos, movies, etc. The Air 2 would horrendously vibrate, crackle, and I had to keep the volume way higher than I liked or use headphones. No such issues with the Pro.
     
  13. Septembersrain Contributor

    Septembersrain

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2013
    Location:
    Texas
    #13
    I'd think they will still carry it as they still sell the 6s. It'll just likely maybe only be sold in the 32GB variant or they might make a few with 64GB. The 128GB will probably be dropped from the lineup.
     
  14. RedOrchestra Suspended

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2012
    #14
    From your comments, your mind was made up long before you posted the thread.
     
  15. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2016
    #15
    No, I seriously am torn between the two. People were recommending I wait and I was simply telling them why it wouldn't make any more sense for me to wait.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 16, 2017 ---
    Thanks for that, I didn't know the speakers on the Air are sub-optimal.
    However, they also completely stopped selling Apple Watch 1st gens on their website when they released series 1 and 2. So it's kind of a gamble. :confused:
     
  16. The Game 161 macrumors G5

    The Game 161

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #16
    apple will still sell the 9.7 though even if it's the lower cost model but i suppose it depends how much it would be to what you can get it for now.
     
  17. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2016
    #17
    Yeah, and now I'm kind of leaning towards the Pro. I'm asking myself if it is worth it to wait 2.5 months for a price reduction of an unknown amount. When Apple came out with the iPad Air 2, it cost 499 for 16 GB. It now costs 399 for 32 GB because they came out with the Pro. So that's a 100 dollar decrese, just like they did to the Air 1. So by that logic, Apple will decrease the price of the Pro (1) by 100 when they launch the refreshed model. Tough decision.

    EDIT: According to THIS article, the iPad release may be delayed until the fall.
     
  18. Appleaker macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2016
    #18
    At the moment, the Air 2 is still very good. The most noticeable upgrades with the 9.7" Pro is the screen and speakers, so I don't think it's worth the extra money, unless you need pencil support as well.

    However my honest advice is to wait for the March updates. Even if it doesn't mean you'll get a new model, the prices for the older ones will drop.
     
  19. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2016
    #19
    According to that MacRumors article I linked to above, the March updates might not even bring updates to the iPad. But maybe I should just wait and re-assess in March.
     
  20. lyunmac macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2011
    #20
    The iPad Pro 9.7 is on sale for $499 if you buy it from Fry's if you're on the west coast.
     
  21. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2016
    #21
    I was looking and Sears actually has it for only 525 USD. I might buy it from them and use my Apple gift cards for the Smart Keyboard.
     
  22. Appleaker macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2016
    #22
    It seems very unlikely, but more information will be released as time goes on. I think it is quarenteed that they will have a March event but the iPads could possibly be delayed. The issue is then the chip gets 'outdated' much sooner.
     
  23. Septembersrain Contributor

    Septembersrain

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2013
    Location:
    Texas
    #23
  24. The Game 161 macrumors G5

    The Game 161

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #24
    I'm sure many 12.9 users will love true tone when it comes on updated version
     
  25. Tapiture thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2016
    #25
    Thanks everybody for your help! I've concluded that I'm going to wait until March and re-assess then. My plan is to either get the current 9.7 Pro at a lower price or explore the new 10.X inch option Apple will introduce. Thanks again for your help and opinions!
     

Share This Page