Buying used Macbook Pro 15" (Mid 2009)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yars15, Sep 23, 2010.

1. yars15 macrumors newbie

I have someone selling me a macbook pro 15" with an intel core 2 duo 2.53 ghz. The model number is a1286 so i believe it also has 4GB RAM and a 250GB Harddrive. The only drawback is that the seller broke off his headphone jack in the audio port and now the speakers don't work since they recognize headphones.

He is selling it for $600 and i could probably get him down to $550. So is this a good deal or no?

Additional: He said its in very good condition w/ only 2 small nicks/dents. It also comes with the box and charger.

2. Meldar macrumors regular

Meldar

It wouldn't be too much hassle to try and remove the broken jack so long as you have a decent set of tools and don't open the computer (unless it's already out of warranty).

The price is pretty low, from what I've seen...gonna want to make sure this guy's a reputable seller.

Kinda small HD, plenty of RAM though. The Core 2 Duo is an older model so I'm glad this guy recognizes that and isn't charging you $1K+ like Apple might.

I'd say look into the exact audio problem (if it is indeed physical) and then make sure this guy's for real - there are a fair bit of frauds out there. He doesn't sound fraudulent to me - I'd say you've got a pretty good deal here.

Might want a second opinion anyway. :)

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I wonder if he tried to vacuum the audio port to get it working.