Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulmacbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2021
Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a used Macbook Air 2019, but I need your help.

The MBA I am looking at has a slightly dented corner (see photo). The seller claims that the display has not been damaged and everything seems to work well.

However, I am a bit worried since the dent has probably been caused by a drop which may have had a negative effect on internal components.
Could you please tell me whether I should really be careful and rather avoid this MBA, or if no visible problems can be seen, then everything should be fine?

Also, this MacBook has the butterfly keyboard and Apple has the keyboard repair program. So I was wondering if, in case of any problems with the keyboard, will Apple still repair my MacBook, or they will refuse to do so because of the dented corner?

P.S.
Maybe there is something else I should know or be careful of? If so, please let me know!

I will appreciate any information you can provide!!!:)
Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 10.06.19.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 10.06.19.png
    304.7 KB · Views: 302

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I suggest you pass this up and look elsewhere.
Buying used can be risky enough as it is.
Buying used with "defects you can see"... is just asking for the UNseen problems, as well.

Grit your teeth, let this one go, and keep shopping.

By the way, I WOULD NOT BUY ANY Mac laptop with the butterfly keyboard.
That's an expensive repair waiting to happen.

Fishrrman's rules for used MacBook buying:

DO NOT BUY:
MacBook Pro 13" -- 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
ALL of these have the disastrous "butterfly keyboards" that are highly-prone to failure. Although Apple has a free replacement program running for 4 years "from new", when that time expires YOU will pay for the repair.
And it's NOT CHEAP -- $750 for even a single key gone bad.
That's because the entire top case has to be replaced... even for a single key failure!

DO BUY:
MacBook Pro 13" -- 2020
MacBook Pro 16" -- 2019 and later.
These have the new "magic" (scissors) keyboards, as did the 2015 and earlier MBPs. These keyboards have been very reliable.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
I'd say there are two reasons to not buy that MBA:
  1. The dent shows the computer could have been dropped. Along with the potential for "invisible" problems you mentioned, a big risk is that the battery could have been damaged in some way. Li-ion batteries are extremely hazardous if their structural integrity is compromised.
  2. Butterfly keyboards are a nightmare.

Reactions: paulmacbook

ChrisChaval

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
Milan, Italy
well, it all depends on the price ...

you could still buy it cheap and then sell it for parts or whole

you did not mention the specs ...

for a base 2019 MBA in that kind of a condition I wouldn't pay more than 300 bucks (not bitcoin bucks)

paulmacbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2021
Thank you all guys for your help and advice!:)

You have confirmed my concerns. And it is a base Macbook Air with 128gb and 1.6gHz Intel core i5 so probably will skip this one. Also, the price is 650$.

Would like to buy the new Mac with the magic keyboard, as Fishrrman suggested, but it is, unfortunately, out of my budget.
I will then go with a 13' Macbook Pro 2015. I have heard that they are pretty reliable and are a good value for money!

Thank you! Cheers!

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Back in 2012, this MBP from 2009 I'm typing on, was under Apple Care. An onboard power supply component failed whilst O/S and there was no booting, no power. Apple refused warranty based on:

1. Fluid sensors being tripped (likely AC to high humidity). I blame the lovely flower garden outside at Changi Airport.
2. A corner ding on the lid from a previous timeline, no effect on screen.

Eventually they agreed that IF only one of those above had been present, they would have been prepared to repair under warranty. Otherwise about €1500 for a new logic board. So yes, stay away from such damage.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
Run a Mac diagnostics and see if things are okay
Check battery health
Maybe running a benchmark test to see if the computer is operating at efficient speeds
(Graphics testing on benchmark test as well) this could mean the computer is performing the way it should

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Thank you all guys for your help and advice!:)

You have confirmed my concerns. And it is a base Macbook Air with 128gb and 1.6gHz Intel core i5 so probably will skip this one. Also, the price is 650$.

Would like to buy the new Mac with the magic keyboard, as Fishrrman suggested, but it is, unfortunately, out of my budget.
I will then go with a 13' Macbook Pro 2015. I have heard that they are pretty reliable and are a good value for money!

Thank you! Cheers!

Whoever asked $650 for that is a jackass. Considering it's a base model, for that amount, I would want to see one that's barely used and in pristine condition. Also, on the 2015 model, go over the keyboard really well and make sure every key feels right. It's not exactly a new computer. Assume if it hasn't received a battery service in some time, it will eventually need one. Factor that into your budget. Apple probably won't offer battery service for those much longer, so you may have to go third party.

paulmacbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2021
Whoever asked $650 for that is a jackass. Considering it's a base model, for that amount, I would want to see one that's barely used and in pristine condition. Also, on the 2015 model, go over the keyboard really well and make sure every key feels right. It's not exactly a new computer. Assume if it hasn't received a battery service in some time, it will eventually need one. Factor that into your budget. Apple probably won't offer battery service for those much longer, so you may have to go third party.
thank you for advice! yes, finding a 2015 MBP with a good battery seems to be quite difficult. also, this problem with antiglare protection (staingate) also seems to be pretty common.

Thank you everyone for your messages!!?

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
thank you for advice! yes, finding a 2015 MBP with a good battery seems to be quite difficult. also, this problem with antiglare protection (staingate) also seems to be pretty common.

Thank you everyone for your messages!!?

It doesn't matter if it has a good battery in the sense of decent cycle count/health today. You need to assume with a machine of that age, that battery will require replacement. This is about protecting you, not the seller.

Some of these batteries do swell when they get old, regardless of cycle count. I have seen this around the 3-4 year mark at times. The cost of battery service needs to be taken into account with a 5-6 year old machine unless they replaced it within the last year. If that means the price is too high, then try to negotiate them down.

paulmacbook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 5, 2021
It doesn't matter if it has a good battery in the sense of decent cycle count/health today. You need to assume with a machine of that age, that battery will require replacement. This is about protecting you, not the seller.

Some of these batteries do swell when they get old, regardless of cycle count. I have seen this around the 3-4 year mark at times. The cost of battery service needs to be taken into account with a 5-6 year old machine unless they replaced it within the last year. If that means the price is too high, then try to negotiate them down.
ohh, that is something I did not think about. I had only paid attention to the cycles. Thank you for your advice, it will definately make my overall experience better!:))

Reactions: thekev
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.