Buying wacom tablet. Which software to draw?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iag48, Aug 8, 2009.

1. iag48 macrumors regular

Which is the most user friendly software to use when using a Bamboo Fun tablet to draw on?

Should I get use PhotoShop? Corel? I have NEVER used any type of photo editing software. Seems to complicated.

2. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

3. uph0 macrumors newbie

sketchbook pro
    its easy to use but its a bit pricey

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Gimp is free. Photoshop Elements is cheaper than regular Photoshop. Here's a list of 5 drawing applications. The tablet will work with any software, though some features may only be available in certain applications, such as pressure sensitivity.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Gimp is free but not as user friendly as Adobe Photoshop Elements (PSE). PSE is under $100 I believe and touts features in the newest version that are worth not considering the earlier versions.

Photoshop (PS), if you're new to this is not an option for a number of reasons. First, it is pricey; even with a student discout. Second, the learning curve may get you. Getting used to a pen tablet and learning a new application is quite a feat. Third, if you're new to this then you won't make good use of the power of PS. While I want to believe you're looking to buy, I say save your money.

Autodesk Sketchbook Pro (SBP) is strictly drawing. It was designed to handle drawing in ways I don't feel PS does. It is also $100 and Amaon just had a Gold Box sale where it was $60. Look for it on eBay for a slight discount.

In your post you mentioned drawing then said something about photo editing. If you want to draw then SBP is it. If you're editing photos then I recommend PSE. Understand I'm not against Gimp, but I also feel it has a learning curve greater than PSE. Plus, PSE is designed with the casual photog in mind. Download Gimp as it is free. Try it and see. Then consider if you want to draw and edit photos then look into enhancing your collection and stay with Gimp if you love it and add SBP.

I think SBP will also use your tablet in ways other apps may kit. Again, this application is designed with the sketch artist on a pen tablet in mind.

Finally, one last thing to look to is mh Wacom came with some software. It may have been a trial of Corel Draw (another option for you). Look at bundled software as well.

Best of luck.

6. kasakka macrumors 68000

Photoshop as well as other Adobe software is getting worse with every version and most people won't need even half the options they have. Pixelmator is a great Photoshop alternative for OSX and very reasonably priced too. Not a fan of GIMP.

For vector graphics you could try InkScape or LineForm. InkScape suffers a bit from "engineers as designers" syndrome but it does most of the things Illustrator does. LineForm is more Illustrator like and user friendly but I don't think it has quite as many options.

If you want to do traditional art then you might want to invest in Painter. It makes great use of all the features your Wacom has.

7. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I'd go for Painter as well. Its full version is like $399 but we have been using it a long time.

8. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I would vote for Photoshop and Illustrator - that's what I use with my Wacom. :)