Buying wallpaper online?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rsnapeuk, Jul 17, 2013.

1. rsnapeuk macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Strange topic question, but I have recently landed a new job managing an online wallpaper store...

I'm just wondering if any of you have or would order your wallpaper online, what your experience was like or expect...

Thanks in advance

2. tzhu07 macrumors regular

tzhu07

3. rsnapeuk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I guess.

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Yeah, with the wealth of free wallpapers out there, I just wouldn't consider it. Only way would be if it was a one time fee that was quite low for unlimited access - and that it provided exceptional wallpapers.

Websites like InterfaceLIFT have made getting quality, free wallpapers much easier.

Sorry :eek:

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I think he means stuff you put on walls, not desktop pictures!

6. tzhu07 macrumors regular

tzhu07

Oh, well in that case my answer is still the same.

I strongly dislike wallpaper though. I would never have it within my home.

7. Dannel macrumors member

When I decorate my new room, I'm planning to buy some wallpapers online. It may be cheaper :D

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

That's something I'd have to see in the store. There is no way a computer screen would let me know the quality of the paper, printing, colors and so forth. Maybe if the pictures were of an extremely high resolution and taken by a professional photographer and professionally colorsynced. That way I know what I look at is exactly what I am going to get.

Although I don't care for wallpaper myself. If I was to get any I would only go to that printer whom makes wallpaper for the likes of the English Monarchy. They even have the original patterns used in the palaces still. I'm sure the manually laid out patterns and paper are of better quality than any factory printed paper.

On a side note does anyone know the name of that company? I just recall seeing them in some documentary. Which I think was on Buckingham palace.

9. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'd browse online but I'd need to see it in real life to buy it. Although the other way round could work: browse in store, decide at home then order although I'd need some guarantees on the order like all rolls coming from the same batch.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's been 20 years since I have purchased wall paper. It currently seems to be out of favor, but I still like it.

I guess if I was going to purchase wall paper online, I'd want to identify mainstream manufacturers before ordering. Something which may all ready exist, but would be helpful would be software that allows someone to view how wall paper would look installed in a room, a virtual room where the wall paper could be applied. Sometimes it's tough picturing what a sample will look like.

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

A couple of observations:

One, wallpaper is generally quite expensive when bought at retail. Thirty dollars and up per roll. I don't know how your online store compares price-wise with DIY and decorating stores. That could be key.

Two: its pretty difficult for people unfamiliar with wallpaper to get it right. There are technical issues - like working out how many rolls (or double-rolls) are needed for a room. And concepts like how a pattern repeats. Unless your target customer is pretty experienced ordering and hanging the stuff, there could be problems.

Three: Lead time. Many people are surprised to know that most retail stores don't actually stock much wallpaper. Its generally special-ordered (with a sometimes hefty shipping charge) - as well as a restocking fee. People also don't always understand how important it is that all the paper comes from the same lot.

Lastly: One of the big advantages bricks-and-mortar stores are going to have is the ability for people to leaf through wallpaper books. I have my doubts about the ability of a screen image to accurately reflect the real size and colors of patterns - let alone the texture of many wallpapers. It is possible you could persuade people to showroom the paper down at their local Sherwin-Williams or Home Depot; but then order from you.

12. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Oops, massive 'whoosh' then from me there :eek:

I don't know then, since all the rooms in my house are painted over white wallpaper.

13. rsnapeuk thread starter macrumors regular

I'd really like to invite some of you to view our website and if you could give some thoughts and opinions I'd appreciate it,

www.discountinteriors.co.uk

14. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I actually have some wallpaper in my house, but I would personally not buy with out going to a store, getting some samples and looking at them in the room I was about to decorate. Even if your screen is properly calibrated, I would personally need to look at the paper in the correct lighting etc.

I'm mostly the same with clothes and shoes. I nearly always buy these items in store.