Bye bye EarPods case [MERGED]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Justim, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Justim macrumors 6502

I haven't read anyone mention that the EarPods That come with the iPhone 7 no longer come in a nice carrying case. I feel like I'm one of few that could repackage them, but it was one of the best ways to keep the headphones safe and tangle free. And the older 3.5 mm jack EarPods case doesn't work with the new lightening ones.

Bummer.

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I agree it's unfortunate and it helps with the resale of the iPhone when the EarPods were still new in the plastic packaging. Apple obviously sought cost related features.

3. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

upload_2016-9-16_14-12-33.png
    These come in a nice little case....

4. Justim thread starter macrumors 6502

You have an idea here. I could hollow out a tooth floss case to put them in. :D

5. Dengar macrumors newbie

Dengar

I think shaving down the top part (white) on one side might allow for the lightning connector to fit and still allow the case to close. I have mine in an old style plastic case and it's just very slightly not closing.

6. swedegirl macrumors regular

I love my new phone but I'm really disappointed with the cheap tray looking thing for the earbuds and dongle, I always used the white/clear case to store them in my purse----- cheap move from apple

7. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Seriously doubt you "stored" them and used them with any regularity. The time it takes to neatly put them back in and align them so it closes right is obscene. That's why most people never use that damn case once they're out.

You can always use the one you already have since you keep it in your purse.

I'm all for less plastic.

8. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

You wrapped your earbuds up every time in the case to put in your purse? Wow.

9. swedegirl macrumors regular

10. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

I used it as well. Nice way to keep them clean and unbroken.

11. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

It's my experience too that the plastic earbuds case was too awkward to use quickly. The mass of wires is always a bit too thick on one side and then the clear cover won't close properly.

I won't miss the plastic case. It looked nice out of the box but that's it. The wind-up circular cases I've seen on Sony earbuds from years past is much easier and faster.

12. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

13. ventmore macrumors 6502

Woah!...take it easy there mate......don't just start throwing logic at the situation! :D

14. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

It never ceases to amaze me how people are so sure on what others do that they could obvious have no knowledge of.

For me, I only use the container to store the headphones I never opened to begin with. It's very ignorant though to make assumptions. I find that beyond annoying. Just because you don't use something. That does not mean others don't need it.

15. wicker21 macrumors member

wicker21

They had to cut the cost of the case in order to include the headphone jack adapter.... just a guess.

Does the old case fit the new earbuds? I would guess that it would.

16. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

OMG I freaking hated that plastic case. I could NEVER get everything back in neatly enough to close the cover and have it stay shut.

17. its93rc macrumors 6502

its93rc

I noticed how cheap it was too & I was surprised by it. They probably saved a few cents to 'budget' the adapter.

18. ajiuo macrumors 65816

I've been watching unboxing videos and it appears as if Apple has gotten rid of the earpod case. I guess that's how they are paying for the lightning adapter.

Has anyone tried putting the new lightning EarPods in the earpod case that came with their 6-6s?

19. xyion1 macrumors regular

FullSizeRender.jpg

I sort of figured it out - there is plenty of room for the lightning connector at the top of the case and it closes just fine. Kind of hard to get it to stay there but I'm sure that'll come with practice.

20. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

I was travelling on business and early this AM my 6+ showed the first signs of "dead screen disease" or what ever it is being called. It's a company phone BTW. Couldn't wait for repairs and could not be without a functioning phone so went to an Apple store and got a new 7+ (Reg black, 256 because that's what they had at the store I was nearest).

I like the phone overall but for $1300+ Cdn before tax and AppleCare they can't put the headphones in a protective case? Seems a bit "cheap" to me.

I did try searching "headphone case" in the forums first but none of the threads looked like a proper hit. I use my old headphones a lot and like having the case to keep them from getting wrecked when not in use. I'll try putting the new ones in the old case but the lighting connector looks like it will be an issue.

21. mattysmith118 macrumors 6502

22. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

From what I have read they still do fit in the now legacy headphone case.

23. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I always threw it away. I'm glad the new packaging is more recyclable.

Hopefully you can get it to fit in your old case.

24. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

#firstworldproblems

Don't worry about Tennessee and the fires burning everyone's homes and businesses, we got bigger issues here.

25. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Actually I am concerned about those fires. I vacationed around Pigeon Forge this past summer but that's not really the topic of this thread is it now? If there is a thread where we can express our concerns about those wildfires please do direct me to it.

Honestly, you just want to ask if anybody else wondered about the same thing so you ask and others need to "Flame" you for it, pardon the pun.