bye bye Leopard for now, welcome back Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kwfl, Feb 19, 2008.

1. kwfl macrumors 6502

hi everyone,
    After waiting for over 3 months to get a stable and solid OS, i can wait no more. I downgraded to TIger and so much happier.

i was hoping that 10.5.2 update would get us out of our misery but it didnt.
    i still get system jams
    mail still takes up to 50% of the resources and yet do nothing
    and many other reasons

i am proud that i didnt upgrade both my macs to Leopard the day it came out, and even happier that i downgraded to Tiger yesterday. Very smooth on my MBP 2.4GHz 4GB notebook

really, i expected leopard to get its final state by now but by this pace i am thinking i wont go back to Leopard for another 6 months and hopefully it is as solid as Tiger.

i will still boot leopard from an external drive to see if it is gonna get any better.

i wonder why many people are satisfied with leopard while they know, till now, it is a piece of c**p.
    regards

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'm glad Tiger works well for you. For others of us Leopard works just fine. Generalizing that your issue must affect everybody else is an incorrect assumption.

3. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

They are your issues and your choices,to say leopard is crap is a load of bo***cks and a unfair statement based on your issues,me i think leopard is the best OS X to date but that is based on my experience get it?

4. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

well, i hope so, even so happy to hear it.

didnt you get any mail problems?
    no jams?
    no troubles?

5. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

if tiger is better for you, so be it-- i had a few issues with leopard, but most of them were resolved

i agree with silent panda about the generalization; it seems like some people have one or two issues, others have a whole slew of problems, and some have no issues at all-- wonder why that is?

6. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

once it functions well, i think it will be. but now, i think it isnt

7. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

I wasn't aware of the memo where you were elected to speak on my behalf.

8. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Agreed. Let's try not to generalize or this thread will just turn into a flame match...

I feel however that Leopard's little quirks are just and not really that big of a deal. Leopard was a huge revamp of 10.4 and included many new features. Operating Systems should be stable, agreed, but when you say Leopard is unstable I think that is a BIG overstatement....

Also, I am not sure why Mail.app is chewing up your CPU, I have not noticed this at all.

9. DaveF macrumors 6502a

It's disturbing to hear that someone with the same MBP as I do has so many troubles with Leopard. But, for me, 10.5 is a real improvement over 10.4. TimeMachine, improved Finder "arrange by" features, and iLife 08 are real improvements for me. 10.5.2 made things even better.

If your new MBP is choking on Leopard, it might be worth trying to track down the problems. It should (and does) work better than that.

10. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

i had many issues
    e.g.
    long shutdown times (sometimes it wont shut unless you hold power button) ... can you compare that with Tiger?

once i clicked on the downloads stack and it went stuck there, again holding down the power button seemed to help.

and this is a funny one
    the dock disappeared, it came back after restart

i tried to send an email using mail, it could not send it and then it went stuck. it was taking on average 70% of my cpu (that is 70% per core) and i couldnt even get to the damn outbox to delete the message
    after restart it and starting mail again, i i had to wait for more than half an hour for mail to say, i cant send the message, all that time mail was rendering that enormous message, this is a joke, it was a 38kb message.

and lots more

11. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

to add, time machine starts backing up the data, even if it is turned off.
    by the way, i upgraded from tiger the first time, i felt it wasnt good, i did a fresh install but it was the same.

to all people,
    i am not comparing the features here, leopard is better in that respect, but what is the your system isnt working the way you want to be. Solid.

12. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Have you considered that you might have had a corrupt install?

13. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

don't worry, i understand. :eek:

programs seem to run a bit slower on us PPC folks, sometimes my second display acts as if there is no input coming in..

i see absolutely no difference between stacks and how folders behaved in tiger on the dock.. only difference is in tiger you'd have to click and hold, where in leopard, and it just click!

i am hoping that the reasoning for these quirks and messes is that i came to tiger when it was on 10.4.7 or so... wheras we are only on 10.5.2 but oh well..

here is to apple, the company of the ipod. :(

14. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

i mentioned this in the last post
    initially i upgraded from tiger, i didnt like it
    i did a fresh install, and it sometimes works fine, but it goes crap again.

15. japanime macrumors 68000

japanime

Funny, I've heard the same thing about Vista. :D

16. Wayne s macrumors regular

While I agree that Tiger seems more polished and quicker, once you go back to it you miss the new Leopard features. I know I did.

I am new to Mac's and OSX, but, after the debacle that was Vista I can live with a few problems.(and they are very, very minor problems).

Why do people always blame the OS? After all its you, the user of that OS that is meant to be in charge and tell the computer what to do.

I am in no way trying to put you or any one else down by saying that, but it's the truth. I am sure that every thing will be resolved in the end and we will have world peace.:D:D:D

17. elcid macrumors 6502

Never had a problem with mail. It is taking .2% of the resources and 30 MB of ram. Only once in Leopard have I had to force restart and that was when my there was a problem with my bluetooth mouse.

I would start looking at the differences between the mainstream and your computer. Are you running different language packs? Are there things always plugged in (printers etc).

There is an x value of why your system is running horrible. Isolate that x value.

18. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

if it is not the OS, why are u complaining about vista?

and if it isnt the OS, you wont find many people reporting a lot of problems.

of course if you screw your OS by yourself, you cant blame the OS for that, but i definitely wont try to convince myself that i screwed leopard while i am running Tiger fine, now in two macs.

i will definitely come back to leopard, probably 10.5.4 or 10.5.5

19. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

i use arabic which definitely heavy, however i think there is more to it than the language.

20. elcid macrumors 6502

Well, I would try it with english and see if you have the same problems. Of course this isnt really a solution but would be an odd bit that Apple would be interested in.

So far, on these boards at least where most run the english version, this is the only differentiating factor.

Get board on a day off give it a whirl.

21. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

Leopard's been running great on my MBP and my parents' iMac. Ever since 10.5.2 it's been perfect.

Mail? Great.
    Time Machine? Awesome.
    Stability? Excellent.

The shutdown and Dock issues I have encountered but I also had the same problems with Tiger.

Actually I had more gripes with Tiger. It was always slow on my MBP and animations were always jerky. It was also less responsive.

22. maclovin' macrumors regular

maclovin'

I can't say that I have had any troubles with Leopard. I've been using it now since two weeks after it was released, and have never really had any problems with it at all. The only thing I can think of is that once every thirty times I log in (multiple users) it takes longer than the other times, and it's not even that long. It might take 60 seconds as opposed to 15-20.

23. AndyK macrumors 65816

AndyK

Yes I noticed, we replied at the same time.

I think what most people have a problem with her is not what you said, but more the way you said it. A more appropriate post of "hey guys, this isn't working out, any thoughts why?" would have been somewhat better.

Given that you alone are having these problems it would tend to sway in the direction that this is an issue with you and your machine as opposed to a well diagnosed problem that is being experienced by the masses.

Think about how you present a problem to help gain a measured solution. If this was a beta forum and you posted this, your feedback would most likely have been ignored.

24. DropKick macrumors member

I've had zero issues with Leopard since day one. It seems like a lot of problems are user error vs being widespread issues (but there are some, no doubt).

25. kwfl thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the post
    1- i wasnt looking for help, i was just wondering, are people really satisfied, or is it just apple addiction, once you get there, you see it perfect while it isnt.
    2- i am still happier with Tiger, i will be for some long time
    3- almost everyone in this thread have their systems perfect, so i guess my system was odd. (this impression does not last long, as the moment i step out of this thread i see many complaints about leopard)

anyway, Tiger is there, and thanks to apple for it and for the coming stable Leopard.