Bypass GPU on late 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bwil10, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Bwil10 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Been using these forums for a while so thanks to all for being really very helpful.

It seems my Mac is fairly bricked, GPU failure on a late Mac 2011.
    Apple offered to extend the repair program but once it got to the raptor shop they decided they couldn't help.

A new logic board is 700$, I'm also visiting family in the Caribbean and you'd have to add import dutys to that!

I've read that the GPU can be replaced, but the people I've called locally don't seem to think this will fix the problem.

What I'm trying to do to get the Mac to bypass the GPU and only use integrated.

I tethered booted to another machine and used a program gfx-something to only use the integers GPU but I suspected that wouldn't work.

I found this thread;

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ntel-integrated-gpu-efi-variable-fix.2037591/

Seems useful but in single user mode it won't grant me write privileges, any ideas?

Im not very good at this type of type, and unix is something i know nothing about.

Attached Files:

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Probably best to post this in the thread you linked to, as that's where those most knowledgeable about this are most likely to see it.