Cable not Apple certified? Give me a break

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
China knock-off iPhone 5 charging lightning cable...says it isn't apple certified when I plug it into my 5S, then the iPhone starts connecting then disconnecting to the computer really quickly over and over.

Lesson learned, dont buy cheap China crap. Spend the extra 4 dollars on a REAL cord. Not some eBay knock-off.

Pakaku

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2009
Chargers are one thing I'd never buy knockoff... but a cable?

kvizzel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Spend 4 extra dollars for a real cord?

Find me a authentic lightning cable from apple for less than $10!

I use cheap ebay lightning cables all the time. They work perfectly fine.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
I got a belkin car cable for $10 and it is annoying. Keeps vibrating the phone and goes in and out.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
My local 5 and below store sells lightening cables. Some work and some dont for whatever reason. The apple cable is just way too expensive. I hope the 3rd party cables get better.

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
I am sorry, all of you are brainwashed. Apple made things so that you HAVE to buy their expensive cable and you are going like, yeah is worth it man. Nothing is too good for my $600 baby.

SouthsideJohnny

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
I've been seeing that on my iPad 3, using the standard charger that shipped with it. Only happened in the last couple of weeks, 3-4 times.

Sounds like a software screw up in the latest iOS update.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Irishman

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2006
My local 5 and below store sells lightening cables. Some work and some dont for whatever reason. The apple cable is just way too expensive. I hope the 3rd party cables get better.
Oh my God, why complain? Just buy the cables that you know work and don't worry about the price?!? In the grand scheme, when you're lying on your deathbed, you're probably not going to lament "ohhhhh, if I'd only gotten a deal on this cable?!?"

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I am sorry, all of you are brainwashed. Apple made things so that you HAVE to buy their expensive cable and you are going like, yeah is worth it man. Nothing is too good for my $600 baby.
Yes, Apple is making people hallucinate and imagine that their cheap knockoff cables aren't working right. Gotcha.

MistaBishi

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
By the time you buy lots of the cheap cables cause they keep breaking, you could've just bought a genuine one that is certain to work and not break as easy.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Just a note:

$20 may seem to cheap us Americans or whatever, but in many parts of words compared to everything else out there, it's quite expensive.

A knock-off cable is only like $2-3 in many places; it's a big difference. Not the $4 extra many people see.

If anything if you buying a knock-off item for only 20% off the real thing you're definitely being ripped off.

$19 for a cable is a rip off. Especially since it's very prone to wear.
The Apple Store goes provide warranty service for worn cables for a year.

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Just a note:

$20 may seem to cheap us Americans or whatever, but in many parts of words compared to everything else out there, it's quite expensive.

A knock-off cable is only like $2-3 in many places; it's a big difference. Not the $4 extra many people see.

If anything if you buying a knock-off item for only 20% off the real thing you're definitely being ripped off.
This cheap China cable I got was about 2 dollars. I'll stay with the $20 cable, thank you. Going cheap in the short term usually doesnt work well for you. You have to go to the best.

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
This is what I would do if I need a lightening cable.

I WILL not pay Apple.

I WILL try the $2 Chinese. If it doesn't work, am out $2, is OK.

If I don't have time trying things out, I will look for a cheaper off brand, maybe belkin, etc probly from a brick&mortar so if it doesn't work I just return it.

Sorry, $20 for a cable is insane.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
The cable's outer cover (that goes over the sheath) on the lightning cables is crap. When you use the cable bent at an angle the outer layer tends to rip over time exposing the cable's sheath. And don't get me started on the cable's sheath. Compared to an HDMI cable , the lightning cable is over priced for no reason.

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Get the MFi cables on Monoprice. They are more durable than Apple's and actually cost less. And you can get them in black, too, which is nice when you use them in the car. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.