Cable vs Dish Network/Direct TV

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm about to scream. I've been with Suddenlink Cable in Houston for 4 years. At the beginning of last year had a period with off and on Internet problems for six months. Finally figured out those problems were with a phone modem that they provided and it took them months to figure it out. Then I went for 6 months no issues. Now in the last two weeks I've had intermittent internet with 2 visits and a 3rd scheduled for Sunday (this weekend). They keep doing the same thing, futzing with checking signals, signals ok. They've swapped the Modem, problem went away for 3 days and now its back. Internet has dropped 4 times today.

Here is the real question. Anyone using Dish Network or Direct TV plus DSL and happy with it? I have friends who use Dish and are happy with it, and others who have had it and dumped it. I'm paying too much for this kind of aggravation. :mad: :( :confused:

Besides going cold turkey, what competing services should I consider? What do you think? :)

2. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

It really matters about your location. But i have comcast, and i have friends who hate att.

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I got Dish after bailing on Charter due to their complete ineptitude and terrible service. I'd tell you stories, but I've developed this weird nervous tick where I'll start cutting myself to release the unresolved, pent up rage whenever I bring them up. The doctors say the name of the company has developed into a "trigger" for me or something.

The only issue I've had with Dish is that you will lose service for a few minutes minutes during heavy storms. But compared to Charter, with it's huge swaths of perpetually tiling channels and constant, near daily interruptions (cuts arm), that roughly one hour grand total I've lost this year due to storms isn't even worth fretting over.

Overall, I don't have much to complain about. Everything works about as well as I'd expect it to. The only reason I'm getting rid of it soon is because I barely watch it anymore since I've gotten more invested in internet services.

edit: suddenly, I realized I should've read the first paragraph, instead of just rushing in to comment. I have poor impulse control, apparently. That's probably Charter's fault, too.

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I don't think I have a choice of another cable company. It would have to be Dish or Direct TV I think... Does ATT provide DSL? TV?

----------

Wow, this is a funny or disturbing post... :p

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    If you ever dealt with Charter, you'd understand. They stole a modem from me, put in one of theirs, then turned around and started charging me a rental fee.

(cuts arm)

Though to get on topic, satellite internet is good only if you're in a pinch, and have no other options. You're limited to roughly DSL speeds, but have to contend with high latency, and sometimes data caps depending on your location. If you can get DSL, I'd go with it before considering Dish or DirecTV.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm on DirectTV and I've been very happy with them. Price is decent, you get a lot of channels (much much more then what I'd get through comcast).

HD is better, since comcast transmits HD at 720p, DirectTV is at 1080p. I've not really had any issues with storms interfering with the signal.

The one thing that I'm worried about and is giving me pause is the fact that ATT is trying to buy DirectTV. This may push me off as a customer if their customer support sinks (they're currently great) or they change the packages to the point where its more money for less channels.

They merger hasn't gone through yet since its in the gov't hands.

8. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

All broadcast TV is 720P or 1080i.

Both Comcast and DTV support 1080P upscaling output from their STBs, and DTV only supports OTA 1080P through their PPV services.

:cool:

9. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

How do you like Comcast? E.g the channel line up? and the customer service? I've been thinking about getting cable or the Dish Tv? My concern about Dish tv is that I live by the airport and their are more and more planes flying over the house and I wonder if that would cause problems with the DirectTV getting a signal.

Thank you

----------

I still have a DSL( yes, DSL lol) interest connection with ATT and it from time to time has some problems with it and it is being phased out. But when we tried to get them to install ATT u-verse that was nightmare. We tried with four different appointments ( that's a long story) and still no Cable. Oh while.

10. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Overflying aircraft will not be an issue. The only things that interfere with reception are very severe thunderstorms and ice storms.

11. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

thank you

I'm currently watching the OTA channels and if an airplane fly over the house the TV screen freezes or if I'm in the front room watching TV and a car drives by on the street that will interfere with the channel reception during on which channel it is.

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for the input!

Considering that cable companies have large dishes to feed their distribution system, I wonder why they are not effected by storms? At least I've not noticed interfersnce based on storms...

13. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Honestly, I'm not clear on what the OP is asking about - is it internet or TV, or both?

It makes a huge difference in the answers.

For example, I've had DirecTV for TV for... jeez, 15, 18 years? Great picture quality, DVR is OK (not great, but also better than cable), but I wouldn't touch Satellite internet and/or DSL with a stick. I have Comcast for that.

Pricing on DirecTV is also a bit out of control, I am seriously looking at cutting the cord this year.

The pending AT&T purchase of DirecTV isn't something I'm looking forward to either.

----------

You actually answered your own question - the size of the dish. Bigger dishes = more gain. With enough gain, the signal will still get through the rain.

Frequency also has an impact as well on rain fade, as well as other factors, but the main thing is the size of the dish.

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

My issue with this thread is primarily Internet reliability., however media companies provide packages of products and you do know that for a cable company both the TV and the Internet come through the same coaxel cable so by default the service is both. For me to switch out, it might be possible to find a descent price for DSL as a stand alone product, but this too is frequently offered as a package with a dish TV product. My impression is that if I live in Suddenlink's area, there is no alternative cable product or am I mistaken?

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's crazy. Being stuck in the house due to **** weather is when I'd want to watch TV.

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You are never going to get descent DSL. Unless you live right on top of the switching hub you will get crap speed.

If you go with AT&T UVerse you will get fiber to the node, that is better than copper from the switch.

Yes Cable and internet come off of the same coax, but they are on different spectrums. So you are essentially getting 2 different services.

17. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Understood, I was just explaining, cause that seemed to be necessary that the two products are linked. I'll look into ATT as far as it being available.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The reason they bundle cable and internet service is to give people inventive to keep cable. If you do internet only they jack the rates higher.

19. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Well, I talked a lot but have done nothing in 9 months. They, Suddenlink keep saying they are upgrading their services, but we are getting outages every day, I can almost count on losing service at approx 9am for about 20 minutes, just when I want to do something online, like post at MacRumors. :p Tomorrow I'm calling Century Link and ATT (both have offices in my neighborhood) and talk internet and media business with them. I'm considering Direct TV...

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Remember that DirecTV is now owned by ATT. They are still separate companies for now.

21. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

I just heard about this