Caffeine addiction?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dagless, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I started drinking energy drinks whilst in my last year of uni and the buggers worked. Used to have at least 2 cans daily (250ml Red Bull), sometimes more if I was participating in lectures. I stopped buying them for a few reasons but since then I've always had 1-3 330ml cans of Coke daily or a full 2 litre bottle if one is available, this is going on almost 2 years.
    A friend gave up drinking alcohol last week so I thought I'd give up my vice since it had been causing me nervous problems.

But daaamn! I stopped on Saturday and I've been in an anxious state for the last 2 days! It's all quite mild though, I mean I have a few cans in the fridge and I'm not tearing down walls to get to them. All ice cold and yummy looking. But enough is enough! If my friend can give up on something as physically addictive as alcohol then I can give up on something as low as this.

So... I guess I'm wondering if any of you Mac chaps or chapettes have been through similar with caffeine?

2. emt1 macrumors 65816

Stopping caffeine cold turkey is very hard. I recommend that you use small doses of caffeine pills to control your dosage and slowly taper off of caffeine.

Also, if you are trying to stop caffeine, why is it in your fridge? :eek::D

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Nope, I used to drink probably 7 or 8 cans of Diet Coke everyday (if not more) and one day I decided it was bad for me, and I stopped cold turkey. I had no problems quitting and had no weird feelings. I have caffeine occasionally, but usually stick to sprite, lemonade, or water. :)

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

My bro loves the stuff too. Plus I think it's a nice will booster to know there are readily available cans but I'm sat drinking fruit juice instead (which I prefer the taste of, just hasn't got that caffeine kick is all!).

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

eeek Caffeine can be a rough addiction and hard to quit, especially since it's in almost all sodas and other drinks. I'm trying my best to avoid caffeine all together (but I picked up smoking WTF!?). Anyway, overcoming any physical addiction is tough, so good luck.

6. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I just gave up caffeine recently and it was rough the first week or two. After that, I didn't really miss it much. You can do it.

You should give the remaining ones in your fridge away or pour them down the sink. It's really hard to quit when it's right there for you to grab.

7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

How much were you drinking before you gave up? And would my litre or so of Coca Cola a day really have the potential to cause a small addiction (ok it sounds bad writing that :eek:)?

8. Surely Guest

Surely

Dude, that is soooooo much Coke per day :eek:

Never mind the caffeine, holy freakin' sugar overload!

I hope you're able to stay away from those levels in the future. Let's try to keep the diabetes away, shall we?

I used to drink 1 can, sometimes 2 cans, of Coke a day. I stopped doing that around 6-7 years ago. Now I only have one per week (if that). I don't miss it- when I have one, it's like a nice treat.

I drink coffee daily though- but only with a little milk and sugar, and most definitely not with as much sugar as what is in a can of Coke.

Am I addicted to caffeine? It's possible. But I like my morning and late afternoon coffee, so until I decide to skip those beverages, I'll never know.

9. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I would say a liter sounds right. What helped me break the addiction was having a water bottle near me for most of the day. I purchased a camelbak bottle and have been toting that everyday around campus. Whenever I want a sip, I have that to sip on instead of looking for a nearby coke machine.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Life's funny, isn't it? ;)

Get your brother to quit too!

Oh, and have you thought about switching to coffee? It's actually not very unhealthy for you. It has no nutritional value, but contains some dietary fibre which is good. It also has very very few calories, just like water. It's not like Coke, which contains a lot of sugar.

Uh.....if you're only doing this to cut your caffeine intake, and not for your overall health, then ignore me. :p

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Coffee's good. I used to drink a pot before lunch, but have cut back to a large travel mug ~ 20oz.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^I had a 16 oz cup today, plus a 10 oz one. :)

Tea is good too. There's a lot of good sources of caffeine. Just don't have 2 litres of tea like you would with Coke. ;)

13. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Nobody here can tell you if you should stop or not.

I'd find out why you felt you needed to take caffeine, and worst of all to keep it up.

14. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Coke Zero is another good alternative.

i have a love hate thing with Coffee but all in all i keep going back to it. its great

15. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

that reminds me… going to get myself a stovetop espresso now!

16. Surely Guest

Surely

To feel less tired? :confused:
    Because he is/was chemically addicted to it? :confused:

Are you being facetious? :confused:

17. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

Are you feeling anxious because you want the caffeine, or just anxious in general?

Normally when you go through withdrawals after coming off a drug, you experience an extreme of the opposite to what the drug does. Caffeine is a stimulant, so I'd expect you to be feeling pretty wiped, not much energy at all. And before everyone gets all up in arms about me calling caffeine a drug; yes caffeine is a drug in the sense that it induces physiological changes in your body. It may not be an illicit or illegal drug, and I'm not making any morality statements here (I happen to love my caffeinated drinks), but it's a drug by definition.

SLC

18. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I don't think anyone was going to get all up in arms about it... It's widely accepted that it's a drug (not just in the mormoe community)

19. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

20. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

Well I never know these days! People do seem to be a bit trigger happy lately.

SLC

21. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Caffeine withdrawal usually means tiredness and headaches. I know you have a bit of anxiety to begin with, it almost sounds like you're getting off pretty easily on the withdrawal symptoms, which is excellent. I quit my morning 2-3 cups of coffee and for about a week I was tired, mean and achy. (I mean, even more so than normal :p)

Best of luck, Jimmi. That is a crapload of caffeine and sugar you were ingesting. I can't help but think it's a good thing to cut that out. :)

22. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

I want to buy some caffeine candy pills, wich one do you recomend... in school I get sick tired in the afternoons, I usually take light red bull, I dont really need the extra calories.
    the pills seem a good idea well its low calories and I guess they do their job.

23. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why don't you just turn to adderall like a good college student.

24. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Never thought I'd see the day where you were promoting gun control!

25. Surely Guest

Surely