Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

Um, you found what??

Aside from containing the words "... high-fructose corn syrup...", it says nothing about DNA, "coating" DNA, or anything other than the fact, not in dispute, that excess consumption of any sugars, corn syrup among them, contributes to obesity...which, of course, was the purpose of the article:

"Consumption of high-fructose corn syrup in beverages may play a role in the epidemic of obesity"

I would suggest that just throwing up (pun intended) an article reference does not back up your (totally absurd) assertion that corn syrup "coats" DNA.

I would strongly suggest that (1) you not state totally unfounded opinions as fact, and (2) when you do, and you are challenged, simply acknowledge your error and not try to cover up your error by citing some totally irrelevant reference in the hope that no one will read it.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Um, you found what??

Aside from containing the words "... high-fructose corn syrup...", it says nothing about DNA, "coating" DNA, or anything other than the fact, not in dispute, that excess consumption of any sugars, corn syrup among them, contributes to obesity...which, of course, was the purpose of the article:

"Consumption of high-fructose corn syrup in beverages may play a role in the epidemic of obesity"

I would suggest that just throwing up (pun intended) an article reference does not back up your (totally absurd) assertion that corn syrup "coats" DNA.

I would strongly suggest that (1) you not state totally unfounded opinions as fact, and (2) when you do, and you are challenged, simply acknowledge your error and not try to cover up your error by citing some totally irrelevant reference in the hope that no one will read it.

I know I saw it somewhere. Maybe that was the wrong link...

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
It is a drug that is physically addictive. Cessation of a regular 300mg daily intake or more will induce physiological withdrawal symptoms.

I have absolutely no issues with people consuming this drug or any other drug for that matter. It is the social acceptability of the drug, against a backdrop of the war against other drugs, that I find hypocritical.

I think this is a bit of a stretch, if only because not everyone experiences any symptoms of addition to caffeine, or even experiences any of its effects.

My wife will get headaches if she goes more than a day or two without a caffeinated soda. I can drink four gallons of iced tea in as many days, then go a week without, and never be able to tell you whether I was drinking regular or decaf. I just don't feel the effects of it (or any withdrawal symptoms). And I don't think either of our cases is unusual.

Renzatic

Suspended
The most basic fact of everything ever is that too much of it can kill you.

I'm sure we've all heard of water, right? Source of life? Slayer of thirst? The stuff you can't go without for more than a day unless you want to die horribly?

Yup. It can kill you. It's called water intoxication. The least toxic substance on the face of the earth can still corpse you up if you drink enough.

So what are we supposed to do? Put a label on everything stating that consuming an excessive amount can possibly lead to death? The LD50 being 5,000-10,000mg might seem low, but hell...that guy who mentioned living on 5 hour energy drink earlier in the thread? I looked up the caffeine content, and it only has 208mg per shot. He'd have to drink 25 in a day to reach the lowest estimate. Soft drinks? They have 71mg max per FDA regulations. Most have less, but assuming they all had the max caffeine content allowed, you'd have to drink 70 to reach the minimum LD50.

So I guess the one rule to live by for absolute safety is to avoid drinking 15 gallons of anything in a single day if you want to not die.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
I think this is a bit of a stretch, if only because not everyone experiences any symptoms of addition to caffeine, or even experiences any of its effects.

My wife will get headaches if she goes more than a day or two without a caffeinated soda.

It's National Caffeine Awareness Month.

The Caffeine Awareness Alliance, a non-profit organization, committed to the physical, mental, and emotional wellness of the public whose lives have been affected by their misuse of, or dependency on caffeine. Our mission is to provide objective, evidence-based information and advice to help reduce the health, social, and economic harm associated with caffeine abuse and addiction..

http://www.caffeineawareness.org/caffeineawarness4page.pdf- a few megabyte PDF download.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Regarding high-fructose corn syrup, I'd be more worried about ingesting it because it is (in all likelihood) going to be genetically modified. How GM foodstuff affects our DNA, the jury is still out, unfortunately.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I know I saw it somewhere. Maybe that was the wrong link...

Why don't you simply admit that you made a mistake. All your excuses above are just embarrassing you more and more.

Look, no one like to admit mistakes, but your insistence on defending a totally absurd and indefensible assertion is just causing you to lose face at an accelerated pace, when a simple admission of an error would end the whole, sad episode.

You said, in another thread, that nobody supports you. That is a self fulfilling prophesy as you bring the constant criticism and, sadly, mockery, on yourself. I know that this won't make any impression at all, but taking a bit of advice from folks with a bit more experience and, possibly, wisdom, than you, would serve you well.

Last edited:

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Why don't you simply admit that you made a mistake. All your excuses above are just embarrassing you more and more.

Look, no one like to admit mistakes, but your insistence on defending a totally absurd and indefensible assertion is just causing you to lose face at an accelerated pace, when a simple admission of an error would end the whole, sad episode.

You said, in another thread, that nobody supports you. That is a self fulfilling prophesy as you bring the constant criticism and, sadly, mockery, on yourself. I know that this won't make any impression at all, but taking a bit of advice from folks with a bit more experience and, possibly, wisdom, than you, would serve you well.
Fine, I was admittedly wrong - until I can find this article. I'm still looking.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I stopped drinking soda this year as a New Year's resolution. I don't drink coffee or energy drinks. I don't allow my 12 year old son to drink them either.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I stopped drinking soda this year as a New Year's resolution. I don't drink coffee or energy drinks. I don't allow my 12 year old son to drink them either.

Nothing wrong with any of those in moderation. Unless your sensitive to caffeine its the sugar in the them that will do you more harm.

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Let me offer a simple (simplistic?) concept for your consideration:

Holding aside issues like allergies and sensitivities...there are no bad foods, only bad amounts.:D

Last edited:

a-m-k

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2009
They used to give us bologna sandwiches on white bread with butter of all things. Something to do with a dairy subsidy.

I've heard of, and have eaten, cheese and butter sandwiches, but BOLOGNA and butter. Unless you mean it's a fried sandwich, which you have to butter the sides that will be fried. Fried bologna and cheese sandwiches are awesome!

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Sorry to be off topic with this, back to your caffeine fuelled rage everyone! ;)

caffeine fueled rage!!!??

caffeine fueled rage??!!!

what caffeine fueled rage!!!??

Attachments

• Hair.png
    Hair.png
    403.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
blogs/forums/communities.

If it was the Mayo Clinic or Cleveland Clinic or something, that'd be different

I guess I still don't understand, why aren't they reputable? MacRumors is also a blog/forum/community, are we not reputable either?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.