Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Well, I'm looking to purchase a caged pet in the near future (tomorrow). My living situation allows me to keep one and spend enough time with any type of animal that it shouldn't be lonely or poorly kept. I'm wanting something that is fairly smart (no hamsters, gerbils, bunnies) but also not too hard to take care of. The best option looks like a pet rat, but I was wondering if anyone owned one and could recommend getting one. I'm also looking at getting a chinchilla, but not sure how trainable they are.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
This will end in PRSI...

Why do you need this animal? Just curious.

You may wish to restate things... Like "small pet" instead of "caged animal"

Because I don't want a small pet....I want a caged pet.....One that lives in a cage....

This will not end in PRSI unless you try to turn it into a political debate regarding animal cruelty. I'm interested in getting an animal that is MEANT TO BE KEPT IN A CAGE.

Is the my "need" of getting this animal relevant to the experiences of other users/suggestions they may have? No, it isn't, so that is irrelevant.

I don't want a hamster as they can't be trained, etc. I've had guinea pigs my whole life but I'm looking to change it up a bit.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Chinchillas have a lot of requirements that most people don't know about. Perhaps the most important is temperature. They overheat very easily, and need to be kept in an environment that is temp and humidity controlled.

They also can't get wet.

In addition they require a very large cage. Ours is pretty average and measures about 5'2" tall, 2'6" wide, and 1'6" deep. It is the MidWest brand Ferret Nation double cage, which is one of the most popular chin cages. They need something to excersise in, too. Balls are not recommended as they don't really make them large enough to not cause back problems long term. We special ordered a wheel for ours that is over a foot in diameter so that she can use it daily without injuring her back.

They are nocturnal (or, more accurately, crepuscular) and need to be kept in a place that is quiet during the day so they can get sleep or they'll get stressed out.

They also require dust baths that are both incredibly messy and also the cutest things in the world.

The chinchilla supplies sold at most commercial pet stores aren't really up to snuff for adequate nutrition. We order Tradition brand for Dizzy, but there is another reputable brand called Mazuri. The Oxbow brand timothy hay that Petsmart carries is the best hay we've found. They can have alphalpha, too, but too much can cause soft poo pellets. Since they poo anywhere anytime soft poos are horrific (especially when they poo while running in their wheel and it's soft and sticks to the wall. Yeah, been there) . They also need chew sticks to keep their teeth in good shape, but have some restrictions on the type of wood they can tolerate (like no willow or things with nuts). The problem is that a lot of the treats and chew toys marketed for chins really shouldn't be given to them. Kaytee brand is notorious for this.

They are extremely easy to litter train. You pretty much just put the tray with some bedding in there and they know what to do. We use pine shavings. They urinate in the litter and poo everywhere. And I do mean everywhere.

If you get serious about a chin I suggest spending some time on the chins-n-hedgies forums first. It's respected as THE source for chin information and help online.

Our chin is 5 years old now (they live 18-20 years, btw) and we've had her since she was 10 weeks old. She's really awesome and we love having her. However, we didn't do enough research up front and didn't really provide her the best home for the first year or so. We've got our act together now, but I still feel bad about how small her cage was when she was young, as well as some other things.

They really are great pets, just educate yourself on some of the things you would need to do and know as an owner before hand.

Good luck!

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Chinchillas have a lot of requirements that most people don't know about. Perhaps the most important is temperature. They overheat very easily, and need to be kept in an environment that is temp and humidity controlled.

They also can't get wet.

In addition they require a very large cage. Ours is pretty average and measures about 5'2" tall, 2'6" wide, and 1'6" deep. It is the MidWest brand Ferret Nation double cage, which is one of the most popular chin cages. They need something to excersise in, too. Balls are not recommended as they don't really make them large enough to not cause back problems long term. We special ordered a wheel for ours that is over a foot in diameter so that she can use it daily without injuring her back.

They are nocturnal (or, more accurately, crepuscular) and need to be kept in a place that is quiet during the day so they can get sleep or they'll get stressed out.

They also require dust baths that are both incredibly messy and also the cutest things in the world.

The chinchilla supplies sold at most commercial pet stores aren't really up to snuff for adequate nutrition. We order Tradition brand for Dizzy, but there is another reputable brand called Mazuri. The Oxbow brand timothy hay that Petsmart carries is the best hay we've found. They can have alphalpha, too, but too much can cause soft poo pellets. Since they poo anywhere anytime soft poos are horrific (especially when they poo while running in their wheel and it's soft and sticks to the wall. Yeah, been there) . They also need chew sticks to keep their teeth in good shape, but have some restrictions on the type of wood they can tolerate (like no willow or things with nuts). The problem is that a lot of the treats and chew toys marketed for chins really shouldn't be given to them. Kaytee brand is notorious for this.

They are extremely easy to litter train. You pretty much just put the tray with some bedding in there and they know what to do. We use pine shavings. They urinate in the litter and poo everywhere. And I do mean everywhere.

If you get serious about a chin I suggest spending some time on the chins-n-hedgies forums first. It's respected as THE source for chin information and help online.

Our chin is 5 years old now (they live 18-20 years, btw) and we've had her since she was 10 weeks old. She's really awesome and we love having her. However, we didn't do enough research up front and didn't really provide her the best home for the first year or so. We've got our act together now, but I still feel bad about how small her cage was when she was young, as well as some other things.

They really are great pets, just educate yourself on some of the things you would need to do and know as an owner before hand.

Good luck!

Thanks a ton for the information! I didn't realize they required that much maintenance, so I appreciate you informing me of that. Maybe a chinchilla wouldn't be the best option. Although, from what I've read/seen, they do seem extremely fun and neat. I may stick with a fancy rat at this point.

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks a ton for the information! I didn't realize they required that much maintenance, so I appreciate you informing me of that. Maybe a chinchilla wouldn't be the best option. Although, from what I've read/seen, they do seem extremely fun and neat. I may stick with a fancy rat at this point.

Thanks again!

No problem! It's not so much that it's a lot of work, just quite a bit more restrictions than your average small pet. I've ALWAYS wanted a rat, but no one I've ever lived with was too keen on the idea.

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
A bird is not an animal. :)

Oh really.

file-3.jpg

file-19.jpg

Last edited:

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL
mscriv said:
Hey OP, how about a ferret?

I've had ferrets before (you really need two if you don't have any other animals so they keep each other company), they can be loads of fun. If you're starting from scratch, though, getting everything they need can be pricey - after the animal itself, plus a suitably sized cage/home and accessories, you can be well on your way north of at least $300.

They're devilishly clever (think somewhere from smart dog to dolphin smart) and can be trained if you can hold their attention long enough to teach them.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
Get some sort of reptile like a bearded dragon or a snake. Those are always fun

I had leopard geckos at one point, they were great pets

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
We've had gerbils.

Their feces is more like pellets, so no smell.

You can train them to hop into your hand, for a ride to the floor for some adventure.

They love couches, and will get under the cushions and start digging a nest. :)

They always come back for food, so you can lift them back into the cage.

Oh, don't get a male/female pair, or you will have a wack o' cute little pink slugs, that will make you laugh silly as they grow-up, and learn how to hop about.

Then the brothers will start fighting at maturity, and that's very ugly.

Two sisters is the best solution, but we never had that pairing.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
Please no. I have a real problem with people caging birds. Just seems totally wrong.

I fully agree.

Their singing, even though it seems sweet, I see as a plaintive call for company of it's own kind.

Birds fly, cats run, but you wouldn't keep a cat in a cage all the time.

filmbuff

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Hedgehog. They need lots of attention and it's good to let them run around outside of the cage, but they're waaay cooler than any of these other ideas.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
a rat is about the best small animal pet. they are smart friendly low maintenance and easy to train. their only real downside is they only live 2+ years. a female will be active and always going a male will be lazy and a great shoulder rider. The males once settled will not even attempt to leave a open cage if they are content.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
When I read the thread title I thought you were going to tell us that you were locked in a cage for a day or something like that.

Anyways Ferrets are awesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.