Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
can someone help me answer:

1.) Does this Dock work with a Windows Laptop that has USB-C?

2.) I don't understand what the difference is between using this dock (runs dual displays natively) versus using a dock that utilizes DisplayLink on my new macbook pro 14inch. Can someone help me understand the benefits?

I have a windows work laptop and mac personal laptop and trying to use a dock that is optimal for both!

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007

2.) I don't understand what the difference is between using this dock (runs dual displays natively) versus using a dock that utilizes DisplayLink on my new macbook pro 14inch. Can someone help me understand the benefits?

I have a windows work laptop and mac personal laptop and trying to use a dock that is optimal for both!
The dock works with USB-C Windows laptops.

Displaylink uses way more CPU over a native GPU. What it means is it has a huge performance hit for things like games or intensive compute tasks. It should be avoided for workstations but it can be used for office tasks or basic home use.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
The dock works with USB-C Windows laptops.

Displaylink uses way more CPU over a native GPU. What it means is it has a huge performance hit for things like games or intensive compute tasks. It should be avoided for workstations but it can be used for office tasks or basic home use.
thank you. so I assume there is no way to use my current dock without display link right? these are the two that I currently have:

Targus Dv4k

Dell WD15

Reactions: seek3r

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
thank you. so I assume there is no way to use my current dock without display link right? these are the two that I currently have:

Targus Dv4k

Dell WD15

Those docks are built for universal compatibility. They can use Displaylink or DisplayPort alt mode I think. If you plug in a USB-A for instance, it would have to use Displaylink. If you plug in a USB-C with DP alt mode support, it will use DP alt mode (in other words, use the system’s GPU, as compared to Displaylink which is using up CPU for rendering). It’s better to use DP alt mode when you can, but if you can’t then Displaylink is an option for non-USB-C hosts. This is dependent on the laptop as to what it supports. Usually computers with a type-C port have DP alt even when they’re not Thunderbolt (Thunderbolt 3/4 always has DP alt capability).

Thunderbolt docks (like the Caldigit here) aren’t wired up with Displaylink, instead it’s all DP alt mode or bust. So if your laptop does not support DP alt mode at all then the video out part will not work at best. Note that with this new generation of Thunderbolt docks they don’t need to be Thunderbolt at the host end, they can be USB-C only, but Thunderbolt enhances the functionality with much higher bandwidth available. Also note, sometimes docks do work without video support, my Belkin for instance can plug type-A hosts, but they only get USB and Ethernet ports working, video ports don’t work.

carestudio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008

it should work with USB-C windows laptop but with limited display support and the 2.5GbE should not work since TS4 is using PCIe ethernet that is only compatible with Thunderbolt computers clearly mentioned on their product page.
however, you can get an Ethernet to USB dongle easily with few bucks and plug in to the dock to get wired network if you want.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
Those docks are built for universal compatibility. They can use Displaylink or DisplayPort alt mode I think. If you plug in a USB-A for instance, it would have to use Displaylink. If you plug in a USB-C with DP alt mode support, it will use DP alt mode (in other words, use the system’s GPU, as compared to Displaylink which is using up CPU for rendering). It’s better to use DP alt mode when you can, but if you can’t then Displaylink is an option for non-USB-C hosts. This is dependent on the laptop as to what it supports. Usually computers with a type-C port have DP alt even when they’re not Thunderbolt (Thunderbolt 3/4 always has DP alt capability).

Thunderbolt docks (like the Caldigit here) aren’t wired up with Displaylink, instead it’s all DP alt mode or bust. So if your laptop does not support DP alt mode at all then the video out part will not work at best. Note that with this new generation of Thunderbolt docks they don’t need to be Thunderbolt at the host end, they can be USB-C only, but Thunderbolt enhances the functionality with much higher bandwidth available. Also note, sometimes docks do work without video support, my Belkin for instance can plug type-A hosts, but they only get USB and Ethernet ports working, video ports don’t work.
very interesting. i am learning a lot from you, so THANK YOU!

Last question (i think, ha) - is there a way to know whether your computer is using DP alt mode or is using Displaylink?

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
very interesting. i am learning a lot from you, so THANK YOU!

Last question (i think, ha) - is there a way to know whether your computer is using DP alt mode or is using Displaylink?
If a computer has Thunderbolt 3/4 then it has DP Alt mode. If it has USB-C I’d give it a 99+% chance it has DP alt, there’d be no reason to have USB-C data-only on a laptop, they usually use USB-A for data-only ports (USB-A has no option for DP alt). There might be odd exceptions, but certainly for major brand machines (Surface, HP, Lenovo, etc) when they are USB-C but not Thunderbolt 3 they still have DP alt. The only USB-C non-Thunderbolt 3/4 Mac was the 12 inch MacBook and it had DP alt.

Sometimes tablet devices or even phones have USB-C but no video/DP alt mode. Especially earlier ones. First USB-C device in the world was a Nokia tablet thing in China with USB-C but only USB 2.0 and no video, the C port was used for the better charging capabilities and that was it.

If you have a computer without USB-C or Thunderbolt 3/4 entirely then it can’t do DP alt. USB-A doesn’t have alternate modes. So a USB-A computer can only use Displaylink over USB, but it’s better to use dedicated video ports so it doesn’t tax the CPU.

rickeames

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2008
FWIW the TS3+ can do up to 98W as well as long as you make sure it has the latest firmwaree

With 44.1 (the latest) you can go to 87W, but not 98W. Unless there is some secret firmware somewhere not on the site.

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Looks pretty good, though right now I'm perfectly happy with my CalDigit TS3+, especially since right now I use an M1 MacBook Air with Thunderbolt/USB4 ports...
1400BDD4-4A14-492F-989E-4FBA99B7BE5D_1_105_c.jpeg

Besides, should the impending higher-end Mac Mini include Thunderbolt 4 ports, I still largely use Thunderbolt 1-3 and USB-C devices anyways, so the TS3+ will still suit me fine.

Reactions: ja'

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
A Thunderbolt port doesn't just do DP Alt Mode. If you're connecting a Thunderbolt device/hub/dock to a Thunderbolt port then it does tunnelled DisplayPort to the Thunderbolt device/hub/dock.
DP Alt Mode is only two lanes of DisplayPort (when the USB-C dock is supporting USB 3.x; if the dock only supports USB 2.0 then it can do 4 lanes). That's up to 12.96 Gbps (for two lanes).

Thunderbolt can have two connections of tunnelled DisplayPort up to 4 lanes each. That's up to 34.56 Gbps total (the XDR has a 39 Gbps mode but that doesn't work with a Thunderbolt dock). Thunderbolt has a 40 Gbps limit so of course it can't do 8 lanes of HBR3 which would be 51.84 Gbps).

A Thunderbolt device/hub/dock can pass along the tunnelled DisplayPort to downstream Thunderbolt devices. Or it can convert the tunnelled DisplayPort to DisplayPort for a DisplayPort port or DisplayPort Alt Mode for a USB-C port (such as the Thunderbolt port). None of the USB-C ports of the TS4 supports DisplayPort Alt Mode except the Thunderbolt ports. The HP Thunderbolt Dock G2 is the only Thunderbolt dock that I can recall that has a USB-C (not Thunderbolt) DisplayPort Alt Mode port.

ja'

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2015
Europe
A KVM switch, they have buttons that let you switch from one host to another. You use one computer at a time and it disconnects the other computer. Problem is the Thunderbolt docks don't have KVM capability.
thanks, this is why i should not forum before breakfast.

would be cool if Thunderbolt could have some built-in KVM capability! (and bring back target display mode alongside it.)

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
I soured on this company when they never released an ethernet driver for a 2 year-old USB-C dock for the current release of macos at the time. No thanks. They don't stand behind their products.

I feel like this happens a lot in the "world of Mac peripherals", really. Companies seem to justify it as, "Oh... these Mac owners have the money to be able to afford new gear every year or two anyway!"

I bought several "J5 Create" products where I found the same thing; they just stopped releasing decent drivers for them and the products wound up working better on Windows PCs than any newer Macs.

yuser

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2009
Don't call me crazy but I have one question: can I daisy-chain my CalDigit TS3+ to the new CalDigit TS4?
I will connect my new TS4 (next week) with my M1 Max MacBook Pro and I would like to use my TS3+ as well to get more USB ports.. Possible or not?

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
Don't call me crazy but I have one question: can I daisy-chain my CalDigit TS3+ to the new CalDigit TS4?
I will connect my new TS4 (next week) with my M1 Max MacBook Pro and I would like to use my TS3+ as well to get more USB ports.. Possible or not?
I know I saw a post somewhere from CalDigit where they said you could chain a TS3+ with an Element Hub (they recommended putting the TS3+ first for the higher charging wattage), so if I had to guess, I'd say a TS4 and TS3+ wouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: yuser

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
This thing is like the holy grail of TB4 docks. Audio and computer uplink on the rear of the device are a bit win. Hmm...not sure if I care enough to change out my OWC dock.
Has anyone found another Thunderbolt 4 dock with a rear uplink port?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.