Calender and Contact sync only via icloud - are they crazy

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by md11, Oct 23, 2013.

1. md11 macrumors member

I saw right now that in 10.9 no more syncing (Contacts/Calendars) is possible between the Mac and the iPhone via iTunes.
    Everything has to go via iCloud.
    I don't wanna have all my stuff there.
    This is the first update I'll completely erase and go back to 10.8.5!!

2. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Bye bye! :rolleyes:

3. md11 thread starter macrumors member

Nobody cares about privacy these days.
    It's a pity.

But certainly there are people who are not able to sync via iCloud: No Internet connection at home etc.

4. Idefix macrumors 6502

I just posted a complaint to Apple about the iCloud sync requirement.

Doesn't it seem like a no-brainer to give people a preference choice between USB and iCloud is both iOS 7 and Mavericks?

Does Apple enjoy shooting itself in the foot? Perhaps Apple loves the negative publicity?

5. Schismz macrumors regular

NNooooooooooooooooooooo. I have just now noticed that my iPhone and computers no longer sync my contacts in either direction. I was doing this manually through iTunes, now my only option is use iCloud? Hell no, I cannot do this with half the contacts in my addressbook, it's a complete non-starter. I can't upload this info into someone else's cloud. How the f--king hell am I supposed to sync my contacts? This is retarded.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12117?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Am I retarded, is there something I'm missing, surely they wouldn't do this silly ********... the above document implies that they did. This is horrible.

I'm not even talking about 90 pages of drug dealers with detailed notes, half of what's in my contacts cannot be legally exported to someone else's cloud upon threat of being sued to death. This is up there with LinkedIn offering to wedge itself between my mail and me. I do not want my contacts in Apple's servers, even if I did, I cannot upload them. This means my iPhone is becoming iUseless, until someone develops a 3rd party app/workaround.

6. Idefix macrumors 6502

Exactly! Client confidentiality, strict IT security, US government strict security, there's a huge number of situations where iCloud contact and calendar sync won't fly...

And the simple solution is for Apple to allow a setting for USB in preferences.

Which brings up the question: which dumb Apple executive thought forcing iCloud syncing would be a great idea?

7. Idefix macrumors 6502

8. Rigby macrumors 601

Interestingly enough, on Windows you can still sync locally with the latest iTunes version. :rolleyes: I see no good reason to strip this functionality on OS X. Please bring it back, Apple!

9. Lyn2012 macrumors regular

I've been avidly reading all the Mavericks issues trying to decide when, or whether it would be safe for me to update. After reading this thread I realise the answer is never.

I do not use, and have no wish to use, iCloud. The main reason I put up with the tiny iPhone screen rather than jump to Android, is the ability to reliably sync my calendars and contacts with my iMac over USB.

All in all, Apple updates this year haven't worked for me at all. I have been unable to update to iOS7 because of the broken audiobooks chapters on the Music app, and now I won't be getting Mavericks either.

10. crazytrain macrumors member

Madness...

Just found this out myself. Long talk with Apple support (who weren't aware of the change!). Outcome? Use iCloud.

I loathe and detest iCloud with a passion and will never use it.

Have filed a complaint on Apple feedback and advise anyone else equally annoyed to do the same - who knows, if enough complain they may bring it back??

....maybe....??

11. md11 thread starter macrumors member

12. Jon-PDX macrumors regular

Feedback Sent to Apple

** Done **

Below is what I sent to the OSX Group
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

----

Why was local syncing of contacts, calendars, etc... removed from iTunes under Mavericks?

This is unacceptable and presents a major security issue by forcing users to use iCloud if they wish to sync data between their iOS devices and OSX!

Thankfully I only upgraded my Macbook Air and not my main computer. As much as I like a lot of the new features of Mavericks I'm in the process of restoring my Macbook Air to Mountain Lion (10.8.5) even if it means doing a clean install to make sure I have a 10.8.5 restore partition.

Then..... I will not bother to upgrade to Mavericks until local syncing has been returned to Mavericks.

I will also be turning off iCloud sync on all devices I was foolish enough to enable it on because it's now obvious to me that Apple, like the NSA, does not value my privacy and individual choice regarding my personal data storage as much as I do.

As a long time Windows user who converted to Apple back in the Snow Leopard days, up until now I have been extremely happy with your products.

Please don't let me down.

Sincerely,

Jon...

-------

I suspect it will not be the general public but the corporate users that will dictate how Apple handles this. If they complain loud enough, or start jumping ship to another phone vendor, hopefully Apple will take notice.

Also, I came across this article/blog post that some may be interested in reading.
    http://themolly.com/blog/2013/10/27/os-x-mavericks-forces-ios-calendar-contact-syncing-into-icloud/

Jon...

13. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

You can 'fix' this being buying OS X Server and set up a calendar/contacts server.

Ok, granted, it is a bit overkill for most and it really should be possible to sync locally, but still. :D

14. Jon-PDX macrumors regular

I thought about running the server and if Apple does not restore the local sync I "might" go that route.

So for now I'll just go back to plugging my iOS devices into the computer one at a time or maybe I'll give WiFi sync a try to see how that works out.

I have to admit that I got spoiled (sucked into the convenience of) being able to sync my contacts in real time via iCloud. I'm just not willing to give up any more control of the more personal data if I don't have to.

I'll probably still sync Safari tabs for now as I'm really like that feature :D

Jon...

15. Schubi macrumors newbie

The free alternative is that you sync your contacts via CardDAV and your calendar via CalDAV. Unfortunately you need to have a service in between that connects your devices. I have been using OwnCloud now for more than one year on one of my servers.

16. younker macrumors member

younker

Apple should restore the feature of syncing contacts through iTunes in 10.9.

17. Jon-PDX macrumors regular

This is interesting since it appears it will also run under Windows and I hardly ever use my old Win-7 box since switching over to Apple.

Since I don't want to get off topic in this thread, is there a thread on these forums discussing OwnCloud? If it will work in the background like iCloud does that would be perfect.

Thanks,

Jon...

18. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

As much as I love Apple, this is indefensible and asinine. Fortunately for me, I have a Raspberry Pi that's sitting around idle that I can use for OwnCloud.

19. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

Owncloud is like dropbox with extras. If you use it with carddav and caldav you set it up like any other account and forget about it. No additional software needed on your phone / Mac. Realtime sync. With software you can use it like a private Dropbox alternative. Very neat.

20. cube macrumors G5

Some people are having trouble for this with OS X Server, and owncloud.

Blackberry Link still works for syncing BB10 devices with the builtin applications, because it doesn't use SyncServices for those apps.

21. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

I found this info out to late. Sigh.
    But even using Owncloud is still a "cloud" sync right? I don't want a "cloud" sync. I want a USB sync.

Last Apple products for me.

22. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

If using OS X Server there is no need for OwnCloud if you let the server remain on all the time.

23. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

24. NomadicTy macrumors regular

Thanks for the link. I signed the petition.

I believe Apple may change their minds if the businesses complain. But since business penetration of Apple is not that great yet, businesses may just look for a non-Apple solution instead of complaining.

I think another way to make Apple change their minds is by shaming them into changing it back. The link above is a good start. Rattling some cages at EFF is good at well.