Call Failure: How to deactivate this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ET iPhone Home, Jun 16, 2014.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

When a call is disconnected, the person who doesn't return the call immediately gets displayed "CALL FAILURE" on their screen. Once you SLIDE TO UNLOCK, it will automatically call that dropped call. How do you deactivate this?

Late last night, the person called me back to finish our call. Later that late evening, I had to make a call, I couldn't stop the CALL FAILURE feature from dialing the recent dropped call number. I didn't want to wake them up, as I knew it was already past midnight their time and was still early in my time zone. Thanks.

2. cynics macrumors G4

I had this issue the other day as well. I thought you had to swipe the call failure so I swiped to unlock and it immediately called the person back.

3. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

It seems it will automatically dial that last dropped number once you SLIDE TO UNLOCK. I knew it would dial, but it didn't give me ample time to stop it from calling. I was embarrassed because it was a colleague and it was already late their time zone. She ended up returning my missed call (caused by the CALL FAILURE feature).

Do you know how to deactivate this or prevent this from occurring?

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

I don't think you can. It's been like that since I started using iPhones way back in 2008.

5. cynics macrumors G4

It wasn't always like that. It used to give you a callback button at one time. Doing anything else would continue normal phone operation without calling back. I can't remember if that was iOS 6 or what but I feel I've only had this issue just recently.

6. I7guy macrumors G5

I never get "call failure", even in the rare case a call gets dropped. Maybe it's a Verizon thing?

7. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

no i get it on AT&T.

8. I7guy macrumors G5

Apologize I forgot the word "not" as in maybe it's not a verizon thing. Thanks for clarifying.

9. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I think you might be right. This "call failure" feature was not around when I first got the 4S. It might be a result of an iOS upgrade.

10. tigertazz macrumors 6502

tigertazz

The 'callback' button still exists but only when the phone is unlocked and drops a call. You can choose to decline from there as well.
    If the phone is locked you only get the slide to unlock option and this then re-dials the dropped number.
    And no - you can't turn it off.

11. cruisencode macrumors member

I can confirm that this happens on Verizon as well. It happened to me twice this week, and it's VERY annoying. :mad:

12. Superman80 macrumors regular

Happens to me when using it via bluetooth in the car, bloody annoying (network is EE in England if its any relevance)

13. I7guy macrumors G5

I have had some minor amount of dropped calls since I got the 5S and this never happened to me. :confused:

14. cynics macrumors G4

I'm on Verizon and it's happened to me. Like mentioned I believe it's only when the phone is locked. So there are circumstances that I don't see it happen.

15. I7guy macrumors G5

We have 13 years of collective verizon iPhone experience this has never happened to any of us. A pervasive problem like this would have shown up for one of us at least once.

16. cruisencode macrumors member

So, are you saying that this didn't happen to those of us that are reporting it? Or just that it isn't wide spread? I really can't tell.

Either way, it does happen and it is annoying. Have you had a call fail while the phone was locked and then unlocked the phone? That is when this happens. Also, I seem to agree that this is a fairly new thing. So maybe one of the recent iOS upgrades added this "feature".

----------

The thread below seems to offer a solution. I'll have to try this. Unfortunately, I can't reproduce a failed call on demand.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5579574

17. I7guy macrumors G5

I'm saying I haven't seen it with my families iPhones. One would think at least my family, would have seen this behavior if it was a wide spread and pervasive problem over time.

Maybe this issue is related to 7.1.1.

18. cruisencode macrumors member

19. I7guy macrumors G5

One of the posters in the apple thread complained it happened on missed calls.

I just tried this with a missed call. Nothing unusual when phone was unlocked.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sounds like it's likely not widespread, but does happen. Weird that you can't really do anything to stop it from doing it. Perhaps putting the phone into airplane mode (using Control Center) might do it? Or unlocking the phone using a different method, like via a notification or through the use of the camera shortcut?

21. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Thanks for posting this link. I may need to troubleshoot the issue. I wonder "call failure" only happens when on bluetooth. The only problem with troubleshooting this is how to force a disconnect without the use of any bluetooth device. Ugh!

22. cynics macrumors G4

Interesting now that you mention it I only *remember* experiencing this when I'm on Bluetooth and the phone is plugged in. Too many variables.

23. I7guy macrumors G5

Paired a Bluetooth headset and tried to replicate the issue fwiw. Could not replicate it.

24. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I'm on AT&T iPhone 5s 7.1.1 and have had it happen while dialing out(phone unlocked of course:p) and remember it going back to my 4s also... Seems to only happen to me when dialing out never have had it auto dial after unlocking.

*No Bluetooth or charging here*

25. cynics macrumors G4

Call Failure: How to deactivate this?

How are you replicating a dropped call? Faraday cage?

Regardless this a thread for people experiencing this issue. I'm glad you don't have the problem but it doesn't appear you have anything to contribute to the solution.